Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

TOWN OF PITTSFORD

WATER AND SEWER COMMISSION

June 16, 2009

Water and Sewer Commission Members Present: David Markowski, Chair, Allen Hitchcock, John Lapre, Hope Rantanen, and Helen McKinlay. Others present:  Chuck Charbonneau, John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.

David Markowski, Chairman called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.

 

Minutes: 

The minutes of the April 21, 2009 meeting were reviewed and minor corrections are needed.  These will be signed at the next meeting.  The minutes from the May 11, 2009 Public Informational Meeting, the May 19, 2009 meeting and the minutes from the June 9, 2009 design review meeting were all signed with no corrections.

 

Town Managers Report: 

J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The UVM Archeology students are in Town.  Hopefully, they will be able to finish their portion of the water project on Wednesday, June 17.
  • Bob Berardo has been in contact with the Town Manager with regard to the digester covering.   There is a possibility that a larger pump may be more beneficial and cost-effective than a covering.  Mr. Berardo will be meeting with a representative on June17 and will report back.  There was discussion concerning this topic.
  • A. Hitchcock asked for clarification on the positive coliform report.  There were subsequent tests that were performed and came back OK.  There was discussion as to possible ways for a "false positive" result to occur on occasion.  This will continue to be monitored.

 

Public Comment: 

Chuck Charbonneau explained that his sewer is backed-up, again.  Mr. Charbonneau would like some recommendation as to the next steps.  There was discussion regarding the history of the issue and that Mr. Charbonneau has had A-1 Sewer scope the line and no issues were indicated until the camera went 119', which is in the Town's section.  Mr. Charbonneau is concerned about digging into the sidewalk.  D. Markowski recommended that Mr. Charbonneau be in contact with Bruce Babcock and determine if the issue is with the Town portion or on the Charbonneau property.  J. Haverstock will also be in contact with Mr. Babcock regarding this issue.

 

Water: 

Final Discussion of Construction Design Drawings:

The meeting of June 9 was discussed.  A. Hitchcock expressed concern that coordination was needed between the water project and the sewer project in relation to Pleasant and Mechanic Streets.  D. Markowski explained that Mark Youngstrom will be in contact with Rural Development with regard to this section of the project.  J. Haverstock reported

that the Town is also on the Stimulus list for this section of sewer, as submitted by Mike Smith.  J. Haverstock reported that he has been in contact with Tom Hooker with regard to the hydrant locations and Mr. Hooker will look at the design drawings.  A. Hitchcock inquired if there were any Rights of Way issues on Furnace Road.  J. Haverstock indicated that he will ask Mark Youngstrom to be in communication with Mr. Hitchcock.  J. Lapre inquired if the additional survey was done on Elm Street.  J. Haverstock will research this with Mr. Youngstrom and report back.

 

Update on Project Funding:

Mr. Youngstrom indicated that Rural Development is waiting for the official decision on funding from Washington.  J. Lapre inquired the payment process to the contractor.  D. Markowski explained how the program works and the funds are forwarded to the Town in "blocks".

 

Project Status:

Mr. Youngstrom is still looking at an early July timeframe to go to bid.  J. Haverstock reported that there are verbal agreements regarding the needed easements and the legal documents are being drafted for signature.  The priorities were discussed and there were recommendations that Route 7 south and possibly Furnace Road (due to the freezing in the winter) be prioritized.  The consensus was not to set too many priorities because the project may prove costly at bid time. 

 

D. Markowski indicated that due to Federal mandates, he is required to resign from the Water & Sewer Commission as well as the Select Board, since his business will be bidding on the project.  D. Markowski indicated that he will be available for any opinions that are needed, as a concerned citizen, however, he may not sit on either board.  A. Hitchcock inquired the time frame that is involved.  Mr. Markowski stated that, in the event his company is the bid "winner", he must be off the board through the construction process and until the final paperwork is completed.  The resignation is effective immediately.  A. Hitchcock expressed that Mr. Markowski had been very instrumental in getting the project to the point it is now.  Mr. Hitchcock will now serve the Commission as "Acting Chairman".  There will be no formal restructuring of the Commission at this time.  J. Haverstock indicated that the Commission will continue as a 4-member Commission in the interim.

 

Sewer:

Discussion of Sludge Handling and Digester Covering:

This item was tabled pending the report from Mr. Berardo.

Discussion of Replacement of Two Catwalk Grates at the Wastewater Treatment Facility:

J. Haverstock indicated that he has included a recommendation from Wade Masure from the VLCT with regard to this topic.  Mr. Masure recommended replacing two pieces of grating and using skid resistant tape on the remainder of the catwalk.  There was discussion regarding this and A. Hitchcock indicated that there is also a skid resistant spray.  D. Markowski indicated that the tape has become a better product.  J. Haverstock will move forward on this project.

Wastewater Treatment Flow Report:

The May 2009 discharge report was reviewed and discussed. 

 

Water & Sewer

Budget Update:

J. Haverstock reported that the Pittsford Water revenue is at 106% and expenses are at 140%; Florence Water revenue is at 77% and expenses are at 99%; Pittsford Sewer revenue is at 90% and expenses are at 100%.  There was discussion as to the make-up of these numbers.

 

Other

There was discussion concerning a meeting schedule.  The general agreement was to hold a special meeting on Tuesday, July 7, 2009.

 

J. Lapre inquired if there was any further communication regarding the smoke testing.  J. Haverstock will follow-up with Mike Smith.

 

Mark Youngstrom is requiring that the Commission authorize the Town Manager to sign off on the bid announcement.  Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by H. Rantanen to authorize the Town Manager to sign-off on the advertising of the water project bids.

 

A motion by D. Markowski and seconded by H. Rantanen to enter into Executive Session at 7:17 PM for the purpose of Legal, Contracts and Personnel.  Passed unanimously.  J. Haverstock was invited to remain.

 

Adjournment

A. Hitchcock moved to authorize the Town Manager to make an offer of employment to a candidate for the new W & S position.  J. Lapre seconded.  Passed 5-0.

The meeting adjourned at 7:28 PM.

The next special meeting will be held on July 7, 2009.

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Adjournment

David Markowski, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chair

Hope Rantanen

Helen McKinlay

John Lapre



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page