Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

Town of Pittsford
Select Board Minutes
5/12/04

 

 DRAFT

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 P.M.  The Board members present were: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Larry Pomainville, Dave Markowski, Allen Hitchcock and Joseph Gagnon.  Also present were Michael Balch, Roy Newton, Elizabeth and Matt Hart 247 Arch St., Robert Charbonneau 611 Arch St., Jill Maynard Nolan and Brian Nolan 608 Arch St., Peter Terwilliger 761 Arch St., Judi and Fred Reynolds 688 Arch St. and Paula Bizon Recording Secretary.

MINUTES

The Board minutes of 4/28/04 were reviewed, discussed and approved. 

 

ORDERS

The orders of 5/12/04 were reviewed, discussed and approved. The Board asked if the order from Brad Russo on the heating system repairs was a total bill or will there be additional bills.  M. Balch stated that it is a current complete bill.  

 

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

M. Balch informed the Board that he has spoken with AOT and they stated there is no trouble with bridge #12 structurally.  The contract to do the engineering evaluation at the sewer treatment plant has been signed.  The information that the contractors needed has been furnished and the work will be completed by June 30th

Bonnie Stewart from the McClure Library is requesting a page on the Town Web site for the library.  M. Balch stated that there would be very little cost associated with the page.  The Board discussed what and who should be on the Town web page.  The Board was in consensus to allow the Library to have a page on the Town’s web page. 

M. Balch informed the Board that he had researched the health insurance order from 4/28/04 and the additional costs were due to the adjustment of two new employees.  M. Balch informed the Board that the 1989 Ford Truck is a Fire Department vehicle with a special plate. 

M. Balch presented the Board with the updated wallet size Town contact information. 

M. Balch informed the Board that the security system for the Highway garage and sewer treatment plant has been ordered. 

M. Balch has drafted and sent a letter to Fred Duplessis regarding the Town’s Compliance to GASB 34.  A copy of the letter was given to each Board member.

 

Roy Newton asked why there isn’t any work being performed on Gorham Bridge at this time.  D. Markowski stated that the fisheries located near the bridge will not allow the work, as it will disturb the spawning patterns of a particular fish.  The work will be started on June 15th.

 

PUBLIC COMMENT

No comments were made tonight.

 The Board recessed from the Select Board meeting and went into Sewer Board at 7:32 P.M.  The Board reconvened as Select Board at 7:41 P.M.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Arch Street Traffic Flow

H. Pelkey stated that all present should have received a letter that states the rights of the Town as it pertains to this issue.  The Board requested any comments from the residents present on this matter.  P. Terwilliger addressed the Board.  He read a letter that he had prepared stating his opinion on the traffic flow.  (see attached)  M. Hart addressed the Board.  He stated he has spoken with the attorneys from VLCT and the Town.  He explained his position on the flow pattern.  He feels there is an increased burden on this road.  He feels the guidance that was given to the Town is an interpretation of the State statutes.  He stated that with the Constables continuous presence and enforcement it would help.  He volunteered his time to help formulate a solution.  M. Balch stated that there are officers present at certain times that are recording numbers of vehicles and speeds.  Overall, the Town has every intention to continue to patrol the area vigorously.  There will be officers there every day and the laws will be enforced.  M. Warfle stated that he has kept logs, written tickets and recovered one stolen vehicle recently.  The Board asked the residents present if there has been a major increase in the amount of traffic present on Arch St.  The residents stated that it has increased, especially during the morning.  A resident asked if the patrolling could occur during the morning hours/school hours.  M. Balch stated that he would work an officer into the area during the times requested.  P. Terwilliger asked the Board if they had read the letter from the VLCT attorney and if the Town was actually in violation of the statute.  The Board read the letter to the audience.  P. Terwilliger felt that the interpretation of the letter might be wrong.   M. Balch stated that there is a liability issue if there is an injury incurred from improper signage.  M. Balch offered to replace the “no thru traffic signs” if requested by the residents.  The Board discussed the various different entrances that are possible off of Arch St.  There are trade offs that need to be made to keep the traffic flow safe.  The Board stated that the letter the residents received was the latest correspondence the Town has received. The Board explained that the Town Managers have spent a great deal of time researching and pursuing the issue.  P. Terwilliger asked how the Town could change the traffic flow if the Town wanted to do it.  The Board stated that they would have to give the road back to the landowner, which is not in the best interest of the Town.  The Board has tried through a good faith effort to find a solution, and due to no fault of the Town, the State statutes will not allow the ordinance.  The Town will work within State statutes and within the authority of the Town to keep the road safe. A resident asked if the speed limit could be reduced.  The Board stated the options that the Town has authority to enforce.  The Board requested input from the Arch St. residents as to what they would like the Town to do.  The options to solve the road issues were discussed.  Residents offered different solutions to the problem through lowering the speed limit, stop signs, speed bumps, traffic lights, etc.  R. Newton asked if there was any possibility of giving the road in front of the fire station to the fire station.  The Board stated that the Town does not have the right to give the road away, that it has to revert back to the landowner.  M. Hart asked if anyone has looked into funding sources from the State to help fund additional police patrols.  M. Balch stated that the Town does receive some additional funding at this time.  There is enough money in the budget to fund the patrolling needs of the Town.  M. Balch stated he felt that at this point the best thing to do would be to keep the patrols going at various times during the day and enforcing the laws.  The Board requested any additional comments from the residents.  At this time the Town will continue with the random patrols and solicit any additional recommendation from the residents on what they would like to have done.  M. Balch stated that if any residents have a location on their property that they are willing to allow the officers to park their vehicles on patrol he would welcome the availability of the area.  A resident requested a patrol between 5:15 and 6:15 a.m. on occasion.  M. Balch stated that it could be arranged.  The Town will do some additional research on how to take over the road. The Board requested that the residents come to a consensus and present their recommendations to the Board.  The Board stated that they are willing to keep working on this issue with the help of the residents.  The Arch St. residents departed at 7:32.

 Jill Maynard offered her property to be used by a patrolling officer.

 

Goals FY 2005

The Board tabled the discussion on Town goals until the next meeting. 

 

NEW BUSINESS

Constable Report

The Board asked M. Warfle if there is a better solution to the placement of the Depot Hill Road stop signs located at Keith’s store to avoid potential accidents.  M. Balch recommended possibly putting a “stop ahead” sign.  The Board recommended getting a hold of AOT and researching what could be done.  

 

M. Warfle informed the Board that he had a discussion with a landowner on Fire Hill Road about riding his four-wheeler on the road and filling in an area near a brook with stones.  The resident stated that it is a privately owned road and the Town has no say as to what happens on the road.  M. Warfle stated that he just wanted to inform the Board on this discussion. 

 

The Board reviewed photos of a road that may need to have a culvert rebuilt.  The Board requested the Highway Foreman be present at the next Board meeting.  The Board directed the dirt roads to be regraded. 

 

Roy Newton departed at 7:36 P.M.  Mike Warfle departed at 8:01 P.M. 

 

Office Hours

The Board reviewed the letter from M. Balch on his proposal of extended office hours one day a week.  M. Balch stated that having one evening available after normal business hours is very beneficial to residents.  The hours on Fridays would then be shortened.  The Board discussed the pros and cons of the various departments working hours.  The Board discussed what night of the week would be best.  M. Balch stated his concerns considering Saturdays and alternate weekends.  The Board discussed the employee contract and how this trial period would affect the contract.  The Board recommended presenting the employees different options on the potential hour changes and requests their input.   The Board was in consensus that extended hours were a good idea and the trial period will allow for review and changes if necessary.  The Board recommended that the resident’s input be requested through the Town Newsletter requesting recommendations on the program after the trial period. D. Markowski moved and J. Gagnon seconded a motion to change the Town office hours, effective May 27, th to Thursday from 8a.m.-6 P.M. and Friday 8a.m.-3 P.M. on a trial basis subject to suitability.  Unanimously approved.

 

May 31st Parade

D. Markowski moved and H. Pelkey seconded a motion to approve the Memorial Day Parade activities from 12:30 to 1 P.M. on May 31st.  US RT 7 will be closed from the Historical Society to the Town Green. Unanimously approved.

 

Bridge #12

M. Balch informed the Board that the State has notified the Town that there is not an immediate problem with Bridge #12.  However, the Town Highway Foreman feels there might be a problem.  The Board noted that the State will be inspecting the bridge within the next couple of months and will wait to see that report before taking any action.

 

 

Without any further business, the Board adjourned at 8:37 P.M.

 

Respectfully submitted:

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Larry Pomainville, Vice-Chair

Dave Markowski, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Allan Hitchcock, Selectman

Paula Bizon, Recording Secretary 

 

 



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page