Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

Town of Pittsford

 Select Board Meeting Minutes 2/4/04

 

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 P.M.  The Board members present were: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Larry Pomainville, Dave Markowski, Allan Hitchcock and Joseph Gagnon.  Also present were Don Nickless, Helen McKinlay, Michael Balch, Kristen Balch, Tom Carrara and Paula Bizon Recording Secretary.

 

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE

 

MINUTES

The Select Board corrected minutes of 1/21/04 were reviewed, discussed and approved.

 

ORDERS

 The orders of 2/4/04 were reviewed, discussed and approved.  The Board discussed the expenditures to Casella Waste Management and repair work done on the fire trucks.  The Board discussed the need to purchase tires as a package deal as opposed to different dealers.  The Board discussed the opportunity to be apart of a Statewide bid when purchasing tires.  M. Balch stated that the Town is eligible to do that and it will be looked into soon.  The Board discussed large expenditure from the Fire department that should be reimbursed from a grant.  The Board stated that the Fire Department would need to seek approval for such large purchases from the Board prior to purchases. H. McKinlay stated that the Fire Department has applied for a Homeland Security grant and they have received approval to cover the questioned expenditure.  Once the purchase is made and paid, the grant funds are requested.  The Board discussed the need to develop a purchase order system soon.  M. Balch stated that he has a purchase order system on file and will e-mail the policy to the Board for their review. 

 

The corrected orders dated 1/22/04 were reviewed, discussed and approved. 

 

PUBLIC COMMENT

No comments were made tonight.

 

The Board recessed as the Select Board and went into Sewer Board at 6:25 P.M.  The Board reconvened as Select Board at 7:06 P.M.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Dave Lacey, Lothrop School Board member, addressed the Board on the speed limit issue in front of Lothrop School.  A letter on the status of the agreements reached by the school board and Select Board were presented to the Board for their review.  VTrans has turned down the recommendations of the Boards.  D. Lacey is not in agreement with VTrans and stated that the Board needs to do some follow up on the matter.  D. Markowski stated that he meets with VTrans on a regular basis, on behalf of another organization, and volunteered to present the Boards’ concerns to VTrans.  The Board discussed the draft and the agreement reached between the two Boards. D. Markowski will discuss the matter with VTrans next week.

D. Lacey requested the location of the school bus that had been left at the Municipal Offices.  The bus is located at Markowski Excavating.  D. Lacey departed at 7:05 P.M.

Dog Bite Bill

The Board requested an update on the bill that has been sent out to the owner of the dog.  The Board directed H. McKinlay to send out a follow up bill and to call the owner.

 

Municipal Heating System

D. Nickless stated that none of the regulators were working on the heating system.    The regulators and the valves have been replaced and the thermostats need to be adjusted.   There are also possibly air leaks in the air conditioner system.  D. Nickless tried to assess the area, but it was difficult to get into.  There is a large pile of straw from some type of animal up in the attic, which will need to be addressed.  D. Nickless has also requested prices on replacing the floor radiators with larger units. 

 

Wildlife Management Area

A. Hitchcock presented a status report on the proposed wildlife management area.  A. Hitchcock, J. Facey and Fish & Wildlife have worked on the document and have come to an agreement.  If the Board approves the document it will be forwarded to Fish & Wildlife.  Ducks Unlimited has since purchased the land.  The Board received the document and the conditions of the permit.  The Board stated that ZBA should review the document prior to the Select Board’s review.  A. Hitchcock stated the document has been forwarded to the ZBA for their review. 

 

Trails

D. Nickless stated that he has requested answers to the concerns of the Board.  He is still waiting for VLCT to provide answers to the Board concerns.

 

Transfer Station

D. Nickless stated that there is a need to have better control of the incoming/outgoing  vehicles.   D. Nickless suggested having a survey performed, documented and results presented back to the Board.  The Board was in consensus with this suggestion.

 

NEW BUSINESS

Proposed Mediation Group

A. Hitchcock addressed the Board on an interest from Lance Meade to develop a mediation group to iron out the concerns of residents in reference to OMYA and the tailings piles.  L. Meade has spoken with OMYA and the citizen party and all parties are interested in getting together and trying to resolve their differences.  L. Meade has requested the Selectboard approval to formulate such a mediation group and would welcome an audience with the Selectboard to discuss this concept.   The Board will schedule Lance Meade for the next regularly scheduled meeting.

Post Office Update

The Board discussed the possibility of requesting a decision from the Court on the status of the proposed Post Office.  The Board will draft a letter to the Court.

Without any further business, the Board adjourned at 7:42 P.M.

 

Respectfully submitted:

 

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Larry Pomainville, Vice-Chair

Dave Markowski, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Allan Hitchcock, Selectman

Paula Bizon, Recording Secretary     



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page