Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.


 

Town of Pittsford Select Board Meeting

November 18, 2009    

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chairman.   

Select Board members present:  Margaret "Peg" Flory, Joseph Gagnon, Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, and Thomas Hooker. 

Also present:  Shawn Erickson, John Weeden, Linda Weeden, Bruce Paynter, Anita Paynter, Tom Carrara, Lema Carter, Randy Adams (6:45 PM), Joe Pomykala, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

 

MINUTES

The minutes from the November 4, 2009 meeting were reviewed and signed with a minor correction.  

 

ORDERS

The orders of $607,851.62 (General Fund) and $9,246.74 were approved and signed following discussion as stated below:

 

A. Hitchcock inquired about the charges for Truck #3 and F350 for the Highway Department.  S. Erickson indicated that there were mud flaps purchased and J. Haverstock indicated a portion of this charge was for a link assembly.

 

A. Hitchcock inquired about the charge for water at the Recreation Center.  J. Haverstock will research and report back.

 

J. Gagnon inquired if there was a water cooler at the Highway Garage and there is a monthly fee.  J. Haverstock will research to see if it is more cost effective to purchase a cooler and use Town water. 

 

J. Gagnon inquired about the payment of $980.50 labeled 'Paynter Video'.  J. Haverstock reported that this bill was related to the October 5, 2009 Zoning Board meeting.

 

J. Haverstock reported that Markowski Excavating was paid $472,602 on the water project.  J. Haverstock reported that there is an interim loan in place to cover this payment.  A. Hitchcock explained that this purchase was high due to the purchase of the piping for the project.

 

TOWN MANAGER'S REPORT

J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The Water & Sewer project boring at Route 7 and Kendall Hill Road was successful and the metering contract was awarded by the Water & Sewer Commission at their meeting on November 17.
  • The Planning Commission is holding a public hearing on November 19 at 7:00 PM with regard to the draft Town Plan.
  • The Highway Department has completed the resealing of Kendall Hill Road Bridge with Silane.
  • The Caverly timber sale was toured on November 6 with 3 potential bidders present.  There were 4 bids received with regard to the Nickwackett 2 sale.  These bids were opened on November 13.  The Caverly bids are due on November 20.
  • There was a Select Board tour of various project sites held on November 13 led by the Town Manager.
  • Proctor was approached with the idea of jointly purchasing a chipper.  This offer was declined by Proctor.
  • Copies of a garbage survey from other towns were included in the packets for review.  Discussion regarding this topic will continue in the future.  The auditors have indicated that there is an operating deficit at the Transfer Station.  The auditor has expressed concern of the drop-off of income while the tipping rates have remained consistent and concern about the handling of cash at the facility.
  • Randy Adams has been approached by the Rutland County Humane Society with regard to a possibility of constructing of a dog park on a 1-acre parcel of land  located on Stevens Road owned by Omya.
  • Comments were received that the Town failed to observe Veterans' Day with a work stoppage.  J. Haverstock indicated that this is a topic that will need to be referred to the Union contract negotiations.
  • Staff meeting will be held on November 19 at 9:00 AM.    

 

PUBLIC COMMENT

T. Carrara inquired about the purpose of two lawyers being present at a meeting with Town staff members.  J. Haverstock indicated that this may have been a situation that the attorneys were meeting in Executive Session.  Mr. Carrara inquired if the Town is "getting their money's worth".  There was discussion concerning this and rates for lawyers of differing expertise and experience.

 

T. Carrara inquired whether a size for the potential storage building has been determined.  T. Pelkey indicated that information is still being gathered.

 

B. Paynter made comments with regard to the Environmental Court lawsuit.  Mr. Paynter indicated that there is currently no Zoning Ordinance currently in effect. 

 

OLD BUSINESS

Continued Discussion of Police Cruisers:

Lema Carter was present to discuss the needed repairs of the Ford Explorer.  The proposal presented amounted to $2,379.74 for repairs and an additional $458.36 for new tires. 

A list of necessary repairs was presented for review.  There was much discussion concerning the maintenance procedures and records.  J. Haverstock will discuss these procedures with Constable Warfle.  T. Pelkey indicated that the Town always had just one police cruiser until the recent purchase of the Dodge Charger and the next vehicle replacement may bring this one vehicle approach back into effect.  This topic will be revisited in the future.

L. Carter exited at 7:03 PM.

 

Kendrick Dam:

J. Haverstock reported that there was $8,000 available for in a State grant, but that some of that may be needed for review and permitting prior to demolition of the Kendrick Dam.  The Army Corps of Engineers may review this project, as well as the State Stream Engineer, FEMA, and people from Historic Preservation. The State indicated that there may be additional funds available in the next financial cycle.  The State indicated that this project would be a "good one".  The Town Highway foreman's estimate to perform this work is roughly $14,000.

J. Gagnon indicated that this may be a historical site and may be there is funding available through the Historical Preservation.

 

Nickwackett 2 Timber Sale:

Bids were opened on November 13 and the results were included in the packets for review.  Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by A. Hitchcock to award the Nickwackett 2 Timber Sale contract to A. Johnson Company from Bristol, VT for the amount of $6,723.00.  T. Carrara inquired if this sale was "worth it" to the Town.  A. Hitchcock explained the site and that there has been no maintenance work in over 60 years.  J. Haverstock explained that there is an obligation to the Parker family to do this work now so that they may thereafter have access for maple sugaring.  Motion passed 5 - 0.

 

NEW BUSINESS:

Budget Preparation Status Report:

J. Haverstock reported that the initial draft of the budget is included in the packets for review.  Shawn Erickson will present the Highway budget and Randy Adams will present the Recreation Department budget.

 

Budget Preparation for Highway Department:

Shawn Erickson presented the Work Plan for the next fiscal year.  The plan is to perform work outside of the Town center so as to not interfere with the water project.  A. Hitchcock inquired when the Depot Hill Road was scheduled for resurfacing.  Mr. Erickson indicated that this road would need extensive work and should be included in the 2012 fiscal year's work plan.  Mr. Erickson indicated that Whipple Hollow Road portions are considered "Class 2" and may qualify for State grants; Gorham Bridge/Elm Street is in need of a culvert, which will involve stream engineers; addressing water issues on Goat Road with the installation of a ditch; visibility on Oxbow Road will require cutting of trees; the Hubbardton Road is in need of ditching and cutting trees; Sugar Hollow Road/Lamson Hill is in need of sloping; Fire Hill Road is in need of culvert maintenance and shoulders.

J. Gagnon expressed compliments for the work performed in East Pittsford with the ditching.

J. Haverstock indicated that there may be a need for an additional operator for "on-call" status for prolonged winter storms.  

Mr. Erickson exited at 7:30 PM.

 

Budget Presentation for Recreation Department:

Randy Adams presented the Recreation Department's work plan for the next fiscal year. 

Mr. Adams indicated that the number of season passes sold for the past summer increased over the previous year, as well as the number of swimming lesson participants also increased.

There was discussion regarding the repair of the baseball fields.  J. Gagnon inquired whether this project could be performed by local residents donating their time.  J. Gagnon volunteered the use of a dozer and T. Carrara donated a month of time to help with the project.  There was discussion which will continue in the future.  Meanwhile, the project may go out to bid.

Members of the Select Board expressed compliments to everything that occurs within the Recreation Department.

 

Water & Sewer Commission:

A. Hitchcock indicated that the pipe has been placed under Route 7 and connected with Pinewoods Road, however, Otter Creek drilling is currently being evaluated.  The Pine Woods Road line has not yet been tested. 

 

The Proctor Water System may be terminating service to approximately 70 Pittsford residents.  Otter Creek Engineering is researching this.  There was discussion regarding this topic and reports will be forthcoming.

 

The sewer studies were explained to the Water & Sewer Commission at their recent meeting and a final report is due by December 15.

 

OTHER BUSINESS:

A request was received from Dave Markowski with regard to the trails for use by the Sno-Mads snowmobile club.  Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by M. Flory to approve the list as presented.  Passed unanimously 5 - 0.

 

J. Haverstock reported that 'Contract #2' was awarded by the Water & Sewer Commission to Meter & Backflow Services, a division of Everett J. Prescott, Inc.  Motion by M. Flory and seconded by T. Hooker to approve the resolution as put forth.  Passed unanimously 5 - 0.

 

A. Hitchcock reported that there have been contaminants found at the Wastewater Treatment Facility.  There have been recent incidents of green dyes, which are extremely costly to analyze.  There is also a "milky" substance that has been released into the system.  The culprits responsible for these incidents are currently unknown.  J. Haverstock will be visiting some possible sources on Monday, November 23 with Bob Berardo and a representative from the State to discuss these infractions.

 

J. Pomykala would like to discuss his hours of employment at the Transfer Station.  T. Pelkey referred this to Executive Session.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

J. Haverstock reported that there are legal issues pending involving the Town, personnel issues that would be damaging if related in public, and Union contractual issues, thus requiring an Executive Session.

 

M. Flory made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for legal issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, personnel and contractual issues that may be jeopardized by public disclosure at 8:03 PM.   The motion was unanimously passed.  J. Haverstock was invited to stay for the entire Executive Session.  J. Pomykala was invited to stay to discuss a personnel issue in Executive Session.

 

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board

unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Legal, Contractual, and Personnel at 8:03 PM.

Mr. Pomykala exited at 8:10 PM.

The Select Board came out of executive session at 8:38 PM with no action taken.

Meeting adjourned at 8:39 PM.

The next meeting will be held on December 2, 2009.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

                                                                                     

Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

Margaret "Peg" Flory, Selectman

 



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page