Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.


Town of Pittsford Select Board Meeting
 August 5, 2009    

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chairman.   

Select board members present:  Joseph Gagnon, Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, and Thomas Hooker.  Also present:  Bruce Paynter, Anita Paynter, Tom Carrara, Linda Weeden, John Weeden, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

  

MINUTES

The minutes from the Ju1y 15, 2009 meeting were reviewed and signed with minor corrections.  

 

ORDERS

J. Haverstock explained that a concern was raised regarding the invoices received from Howard's Fire Control for the Highway Garage as well as the Fire Station.  These invoices will be researched and submitted for approval at a future meeting.

 

The orders of August 5, 2009 in the amount of $59,163.58 --  FY2009 and $36,674.96 less $1,185.75 (Howard's Fire Control invoice for the Town Garage) -- FY2010 were approved and signed following discussion as stated below.  Howard's Fire Controlís invoice for the Fire Station was not included on these orders.

 

J. Gagnon inquired about the purchase of grader tires.  J. Haverstock reported that two were replaced.  J. Gagnon inquired if there was any pricing obtained from other suppliers.  The recommendation from the Select Board was that for vehicle/equipment repair expenses greater than $1,000, two other (preferably local) vendors should be asked for pricing.  J. Haverstock will discuss this with Shawn Erickson.

 

A. Hitchcock inquired about the costs incurred at Keith's for fuel and that it may be cheaper to consolidate the purchases. 

 

A. Hitchcock inquired about the expense of a tire that was flat on the grader.  J. Haverstock reported that there was a flat on the grader and two of the tires were replaced.

 

A. Hitchcock inquired whether the tax bills submitted by the Town of Chittenden reflects the Current Use designation sought by Pittsford.  J. Haverstock reported that he believes that this is included.  There was discussion that this includes Walker Springs and Sand Springs. 

 

TOWN MANAGER'S REPORT

J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The bids for the water project have gone out.  There are pre-bid meetings scheduled for August 6, 2009 at 10:00 AM for the construction contract and at 1:00 PM for the metering contract.
  • The construction project at the Highway Garage has been completed by Smalley Construction
  • The roofing and sidewalk projects at the Town Office are nearly complete by Adams Construction.
  • The newsletter was sent out on Friday, July 31, 2009.  Linda Drummond was thanked for the work she did on this project.
  • Applications for assistance from the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps for assistance on addressing stream-bed erosion at the Rec. Area and help with a "growing" gully being carved out below a culvert on the south side of Depot Hill Road.
  • The Town of Killington has a used grader for sale.  J. Haverstock will be consulting with Shawn Erickson regarding this grader. 
  • Erik Wilder has completed the Basic Training Program at the Police Academy.
  • Judgment was awarded in favor of the Town vs. Bruce Paynter in his suit claiming improprieties regarding adoption of the Town Plan.   The cost thus far is in excess of $13,000 for this case.  J. Haverstock reported that another law suit was received on August 5, 2009 from Mr. Paynter.  This suit will be submitted to Legal Counsel.  The details will be discussed in Executive Session.
  • Orange notices have been posted around Town regarding the upcoming Smoke Testing.  The tentative dates (weather depending) are August 12 and August 13.
  • There was a second positive test received from the swimming area.  There was discussion that there could be a number of items that may be causing this positive result.  The test will now be transported by Town employees; hopefully, this will get the sample to the lab on a more timely basis.
  • A. Hitchcock complimented the quality of the summer Town newsletter.
  • An individual has expressed interest in becoming a third Lister; however, no formal application has been received. 

 

PUBLIC COMMENT

T. Carrara inquired how many miles/hours were on the grader tires that were replaced.  J. Haverstock will research this and meet with Mr. Carrara.  T. Carrara also inquired about the gasoline purchases as to how many gallons and which departments were involved. 

 

A. Paynter expressed displeasure with the recent newspaper article identifying some folks as being the "Dirty Dozen" with regard to Junk Ordinance violations.  There was discussion concerning this and J. Haverstock clarified an error in the reportage on the story in the local press.

 

B. Paynter stated that he currently has a petition in hand concerning the approval of a Subdivision application (09-41) submitted by Allen Hitchcock and approved by Amy Loomis (Zoning Administrator).   The petition states that this subdivision application was unlawfully granted.  Mr. Paynter stated that this application needs to have a Planning Commission review, as required by the State law in 2005.

 

T. Carrara asked for "clarification" of "name calling."  T. Pelkey and T. Hooker asked for clarification to Mr. Carrara's statement.  There was discussion concerning this and clarification was made to Mr. Carrara, who was invited to meet with J. Haverstock at a future time in the Town Office for further clarification. 

T. Carrara stated that he is looking for a chronology regarding adoption of the zoning ordinances, etc.  J. Haverstock reported that he believes that this information is in the legal documents and Mr. Carrara was invited to meet with J. Haverstock.

 

L. Weeden inquired what and where the comments about the Junk Ordinance in question were published.  J. Haverstock reported that it was The Reporter that did the story and which inaccurately quoted the Town Manager.

 

B. Paynter stated that it is his impression that the Junk Ordinance was obtained from the VLCT and that Pittsford re-worded to make it more suitable to Pittsford, thus rendering its enforceability doubtful.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Continued Discussion of Timber Sales:

J. Haverstock recommended this topic be discussed in Executive Session.

 

Town Cemetery Options:

T. Carrara stated that he has spoken with Dave Barnard regarding the Town Cemetery and the proposed location is on Plains Road.  The Select Board suggested that Mr. Carrara be in contact with Mr. Barnard to encourage him to discuss the matter at a future meeting.  T. Hooker and A. Hitchcock indicated that there is no location that is designated.

 

NEW BUSINESS

FY '09 Budget Status Report:

J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund is showing little change.  J. Haverstock reported that the expenses are currently at 99%, with one more set of orders to be brought to the next meeting.  The Highway budget's revenues slightly exceed expenses.

 

Roller Ski Race:

A letter was received by Jim & Mary Anne Levins requesting permission to have a roller ski race pass through Town on August 16.  The letter indicated the route that would be taken and the center of the Town would not be affected.  The Rutland Police have been contacted for traffic control at key intersections.  Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by A. Hitchcock to grant permission with the same restrictions as last year.  Passed 4 - 0.

 

Execution of Water Project Loan/Grant Documents:

J. Haverstock reported that the loan papers have been received for the Water project.  Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Gagnon to authorize the Chairman (T. Pelkey) to sign the Loan/Grant Applications.  A. Hitchcock reported that the Water & Sewer Commission is in favor of the funding sources.  Passed 4 - 0.

 

Designation of Town Manager as Voting Delegate to VLCT:

Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by T. Hooker to appoint John Haverstock, Town Manager, as the voting delegate to the VLCT's upcoming meeting.  Passed 4 - 0.

 

Change Orders for Roof Repair Project:

Copies of Change Orders were presented for review with regard to the project being completed by Adams Construction.  Change Order #1 was for the Entryway ridge vent ($150); Change Order #2 was for the repair of some gaps in the sidewalk cement ($450).  Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to approve both change orders.  T. Carrara raised questions for clarification, which was clarified by J. Haverstock.

Passed 4 - 0.

 

Depot Hill Railroad Crossing Repairs:

J. Haverstock reported that VTRANS has contacted the Town regarding the repair of the Depot Hill Railroad crossing.  J. Haverstock advised that this area is a high water area and that repairs should be done after the spring snow melt.  J. Haverstock reported that Peg Flory will be asked to become involved in the VTRANS/Town requests.

 

Street Light Request:

A request was received from a concerned citizen regarding the darkness and pedestrian traffic on Terounzo Road.  T. Hooker indicated that this area may be outside of the Village limits.  J. Haverstock will research this concern.  J. Haverstock will also research the cost of the proposed light and advise at the August 19 meeting.  This item was tabled.

 

OTHER BUSINESS

B. Paynter complimented T. Pelkey for the manner in which he conducts Select Board meetings.  A. Hitchcock was also complimented for his attention to detail at the meetings.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by A. Hitchcock to go into Executive Session for Legal, Personnel, and Contractual matters at 7:26 PM.   The motion was unanimously passed.  J. Haverstock was invited to stay.

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel, Legal, and Contractual matters at 7:26  PM.

The Select Board came out of executive session at 8:10 PM and conveyed instructions to the Town Manager that the Timber Sale on Town Property in Pittsford be advertised in the newspaper(s) and notices sent to local (Pittsford/Florence) loggers, BUT NOT to send a bulk mailing to all loggers Statewide.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:12 PM.

The next meeting will be held on August 19, 2009.

 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

 

                                                                                      

Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

 



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page