Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

Town of Pittsford

Town of Pittsford Select Board Meeting
 May 6, 2009   

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chairman.   

 

Select board members present:  Joseph Gagnon, Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, David Markowski, and Thomas Hooker. 

Also present:  Bruce Paynter, Linda Weeden, Shawn Erickson, David Rowe, Shannon Murray, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

 

MINUTES

The minutes from the April 15, 2009 meeting were reviewed and signed with no corrections.  

 

ORDERS

The orders of May 6, 2009 in the amount of $113,154.96 and $8,828.66 were approved and signed following discussion as stated below:

 

J. Haverstock reported that the order for Kenlan, Schweibert, and Facey, in the amount of $7,854.36 was approved with prior orders.

 

J. Gagnon inquired about the amount of $4,445.92 for water permits.  J. Haverstock reported that these were permits that were obtained through Otter Creek Engineering.  D. Markowski also indicated that some of the fees could be for the design review.

 

J. Gagnon inquired about the $2,400 charge for chipper rental.  S. Erickson was consulted.  J. Gagnon inquired the procedure that was used for the chipper.  S. Erickson explained the process and indicated that the procedure that is currently used is efficient and wood is not being stacked waiting for the chipper, thus, eliminating handling several times.

 

TOWN MANAGER'S REPORT

J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The Requests for Bid have been advertised for the (a) Highway Garage offices; (b) Highway Garage doors and HVAC issues; and (c) Town Office project.  There were a pre bid meetings held and all had great response.  The bids will be opened for the Highway Garage project on May 8. The bid opening for the Town Office will be held on May 15.
  • May 2 was Green-Up Day and there was great town participation.  The Rec. Dept., OMYA and Keiths' provided goods and sponsorship for this project.
  • The April, 2009 Highway Aid funds were received in full and indications are looking like the remainder of the January 2009 15% short funding may not occur.
  • The North section of the West Creek Road grant application has been paid in full, in the amount of $150,000.
  • The Transfer Station will be hosting a Hazardous Waste collection on May 9 from 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM.
  • A reminder of the Animal Control Ordinance was presented.
  • The emergency siren testing will begin on June 4, 2009 at 6:00 PM and occur every first Thursday of the month.
  • There was a complaint received from a resident about truck drivers using engine brakes on Slawson Hill.  The AOT has been contacted and there is no allowance for a sign.  A. Hitchcock inquired about the wordage of potential signs.  J. Haverstock will research with the AOT and report back.  There was discussion concerning this topic and such a sign may be posted on Town roads but possibly not on State roads.
  • A. Hitchcock commented that the Constables' report does not indicate any reports of dumping of trash.  Hugh Hill has a substantial amount of rubbish.  J. Haverstock will forward this information to the Constables.

 

PUBLIC COMMENT

 

David Rowe inquired if the apron from West Creek Road to Syndicate Road will be paved.  J. Haverstock reported that he will contact the paving company for a cost on this.  S. Erickson indicated that it has become practice to extend the aprons of roads that are being paved.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Potential Purchase of Utility Pick-Up Truck:

J. Haverstock reported that S. Erickson has researched the purchase of a utility pick-up truck.  S. Erickson reported that currently members of the Highway Department are using their personal vehicles to do short trips for supplies.  A proposal was submitted for a vehicle that is similar to the vehicle that is currently used by the Water Department.  There was discussion that a utility vehicle could keep their equipment under cover.  D. Markowski indicated that he has been in contact with Mr. Erickson regarding the uses of a utility vehicle.  J. Haverstock reported that the current price quote from G. Stone Motors is in effect through May 15, 2009.  A. Hitchcock requested further research on a smaller vehicle be presented.  S. Erickson will research a smaller vehicle and agreed that an extended cab vehicle would be a good idea.

 

Potential Purchase of Tandem Truck:

J. Haverstock explained the Town's vehicle replacement policy.  S. Erickson explained that he is under the impression that vehicle replacement is on a 10-year rotation, although the oldest truck is nearing the 12th year.  The 1998 truck has recently had transmission repairs and is currently making a noise when in reverse.  There was discussion regarding the replacement of vehicles.  J. Haverstock will research the vehicle replacement  policy and see if there is a "cap" in place.  J. Gagnon inquired how the vehicle replacement compares to other towns' replacement policies.  A. Hitchcock would like to see the information on a replacement fund, the size and level of the fund, review of replacement policies, rate, level cap, and the amount to be spent each year.   The requested information will be reviewed prior to making any purchasing decisions.  L. Weeden inquired if the vehicles need to be ordered.  S. Erickson stated that these vehicles are not in stock and have a 6 to 8 month "lead time."  T. Pelkey requested that S. Erickson work with J. Haverstock on this.  S. Erickson stated that the estimated cost of a tandem vehicle is $180,000 to $190,000 and the single axle vehicle is roughly $40,000 lower in cost.

 

Adoption of an Anti Identity Theft Policy:

There is information coming from the VLCT and this item was tabled.

 

Transportation Enhancement Grant Application:

The grant application was successful and $176,000 has been pledged.  There are conditions and concerns expressed in the correspondence that was received.  J. Haverstock will follow-up on the conditions and concerns and report back.

Water & Sewer Commission Update:

D. Markowski updated the following of the April 28 informational meeting:

 

  •        Clarification of who pays for the project.  Only the water users  pay for the bond, however, all registered voters may vote as there is no separate Water District within the Town.

  •        Another public information meeting is scheduled for May 11 at 7:00 PM.  There is a possibility of another meeting to be scheduled for May 18, if necessary.

  •        J. Haverstock reported that there was an article in the Town Newsletter and that the Rutland Herald and The Reporter have covered the story. 

  •        The Water & Sewer Commission will meet at 6:00 PM on May 11 with Mark Youngstrom to discuss funding options.

  •        J. Gagnon inquired about the taxpayers' contribution to the water system.  D. Markowski explained the Hydrant Fund, which totals roughly $22,000 annually.

  •        The Sewer engineer will be meeting on May 19, 2009 at 8:00 to report on the testing of the infiltration study.

  •        The next Water and Sewer Commission meeting will focus on the Sewer section and studies.

  •        The documentation for the final design loan has been received for signature by T. Pelkey, Select Board Chairman.

 

NEW BUSINESS

 

FY '09 Budget Review: 

J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund revenues are at 75% of budget; expenses are at 87% of budget.  The Highway Fund is at 145% of revenue; 128% of expenses.  D. Markowski inquired if the grant funding is included in the Highway revenue.  J. Haverstock reported that he will research and advise at a future meeting.

 

OTHER BUSINESS

A. Hitchcock noted in the Constables' report that crime is higher than last year.  J. Haverstock reported that there are barking dog issues that will be discussed at the May 20, 2009 meeting.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by D. Markowski to go into Executive Session for Legal, Contractual, and Personnel matters at 7:26 PM.  A. Hitchcock seconded the motion.  The motion was unanimously passed.  J. Haverstock was invited to stay.

 

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Legal, Contractual, and Personnel at 7:26 PM.

 

The Select Board came out of executive session at 8:08 PM with no action being taken.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:08PM.

The next meeting will be held on May 20, 2009.

 

Respectfully Submitted,         

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

                                                                                    

Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

David Markowski, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

 



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page