Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

Town of Pittsford Select Board Meeting

January 17, 2007 

Vice-Chairman, Allen Hitchcock opened the meeting at 6:30 PM.  Select Board members present were:  Allen Hitchcock, Joseph Gagnon, and Thomas Hooker. Thomas “Hank” Pelkey and David Markowski were absent.  Also present were Michael Balch, Linda Drummond, and Mary Grant.  Tom Carrara arrived at 6:35.  Tom Bushey arrived at 7:13 PM.  Christine and Keith Maseroni arrived at 7:20 PM.

MINUTES    

The Select Board minutes of January 3, 2007 were reviewed, discussed, and approved.

The Select Board minutes of January 10, 2007 were reviewed, discussed, and approved.   

 

ORDERS

The orders of January 17, 2007 were reviewed, discussed and approved in the amount of $40,297.09.

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

Mike Balch reported on the following:

The Rowes sent a copy of a letter from one of their tenants complaining about the water pressure on Route 7 South.

A memo has gone out to all elected officials, boards, commissions, and employees as a reminder for all departments not to exceed the budget for each governmental function without prior approval for the Select Board.

The January 2007 Town Newsletter is being printed this week and will be mailed out next week.

M. Balch had been asked by the Board to write a letter to Dorothy Wheeler regarding a definition of her status with Town at this time.  M. Balch met with D. Wheeler on January 17, 2007 and discussed the matter with her.

Copies of the Final Draft Budget and Final Draft of the ATM Warning were handed out to the Board.

M. Balch included a very rough draft of the Management’s Discussion & Analysis(MDA) in the Board packet.  Both M. Balch and H. McKinlay reviewed the draft audit and found a few misapplied items to different accounts. The MDA will need finishing when the auditors make the changes to the accounts.  There were no significant changes.  The draft audit reported $211,000 in unencumbered cash.  $30,000 was used against the property taxes which leaves a balance of $181,000.

S. Erickson has contacted two experienced drivers to help drive the plow trucks during the storms this winter.  This will give the highway employees a break especially after 15 hours of driving.

M. Balch asked Eric Hansen for an estimated time line on the forest management plan.

VLCT legislation on allowing current use status for water department land in other towns was not passed.

M. Balch is waiting for a response on the potential sale and relocation of the blue tank at the treatment plant.

A. Hitchcock has discussed the potential sale of the sludge bagging system with Proctor and he is awaiting a response.

The auditors will review the accounting quality during the last year when they meet with the Select Board to review the audit.

M. Balch met with the Town Auditors and they are comfortable with the Board’s proposal regarding a Town Report Coordinator.  Joseph Sposta would like to be the Town Report Coordinator if it is the Board’s pleasure.

The Pittsford Commons pumping station does stage through the Depot Hill pumping station.

There are abutment elevations that are on the Gorham Bridge plans.  The engineer that M. Balch spoke with stated that he thought those elevations would be adequate for a reference point.  Rutland Regional Planning Commission manages the Pittsford maps.  The district office in Rutland has the plans and M. Balch will pursue looking into transferring the abutment elevations as an official reference marker.

PUBLIC COMMENT

T. Carrara asked if there were three official posting places in Town. Posting of Town notices are posted at the Pittsford and Florence post offices, the Town office, and at Keith’s Country Store.  Also the agendas are posted on the Town website.

T. Carrara asked if the conflict of interest issue would be on the warning this year. The Board has just received a model draft from VLCT for towns to address conflicts of interest.  The Board can address this issue or it can be petitioned by Town Meeting.  The Board will be reviewing the draft which is a starting point for the Board to work on this issue.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Water Board at 6:54PM.

The Select Board reconvened 6:57PM.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Sewer Board 6:58PM.

The Select Board reconvened at 7:10PM.

OLD BUSINESS

T. Carrara inquired about the status of the Robert Forrest property.  The Board is waiting for more information.

NEW BUSINESS

Randall Park Drainage

Tom Bushey has spoken with M. Balch in regards to a water problem in Randall Park.  Apparently there is a problem with increased amounts of water that is coming across Randall Park where there used to be a drainage ditch which crossed private land.  The ditch used to relieve the situation.

T. Bushey stated now the water flow is increasing from across Furnace Road.  M. Balch and S. Erickson plan to go out and meet with Tom Bushey to look over the situation.

T. Bushey arrived at 7:13 PM. He stated that his cellar has flooded the last three years.  The ditch that stormwater from the north of Furnace Road used to dump into is plugged.  The water is now backing up under the culvert under Randall Park and flooding his land and cellar. Tom Bernritter’s land is also being flooded.  CVPS owns a parcel of land on Randall Park where the ditch goes through.  Kelly Turner, a representative of CVPS, has looked over the situation.  K. Maseroni owns the land where the water dumps and he is willing to open the ditch if they can get a right of way from CVPS.  M. Balch will get together with T. Bushey and S. Erickson to look over the situation and report any developments at the next Select Board meeting.  The ground is saturated. Christine and Keith Maseroni arrived at 7:20PM.  They have concerns in regards to the Randall Park drainage.  A. Hitchcock reviewed what the Board and Mr. Bushey had discussed.

Vermont Trails and Greenway Council sent a letter requesting an appropriation from the Town.  A. Hitchcock stated that with Pittsford already supporting and maintaining the Town’s trail system, he did not think it would be necessary to contribute to the Council.  The Board consensus was to let the Council know that the Board’s decision was not to make a contribution at this time.

Poultney Mettowee Watershed Partnership sent a letter requesting an appropriation from the Town.  The watershed is in a very small part of Pittsford.  The Board consensus was to let the Partnership know that the Board’s decision was not to make a contribution at this time.

Without any further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:25PM.

Respectfully submitted:

Linda Drummond, Recording Clerk

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair - ABSENT

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

David Markowski, Selectman - ABSENT

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

 



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page