Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.


Town of Pittsford
Select Board Minutes


Hank Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 P.M.  The Board members present were: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, Dave Markowski and Joseph Gagnon.  Larry Pomainville was absent.  Also present were Don Nickless, Helen McKinlay, Baird Morgan, Tom Carrara and Paula Bizon Recording Secretary.





The Board reviewed and discussed the Town budget.  D. Nickless explained the increases in the budget.  They are principally due to increases in medical insurance, the contractual salary increases for employees, the new Town Manager’s salary and an increase in the Rutland County service tax.  A. Hitchcock moved and J Gagnon seconded a motion to accept the General Fund budget (Fire Dept, Police, Recreation, Transfer Station, Animal Management and Town Administration) as proposed, less the just advised Rutland County tax reduction.  Unanimously approved.  The consensus of the Board was to congratulate D. Nickless and H. McKinlay on the superb preparation of the Town budgets this year.    



In accordance with 1VSA 312(b) where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to go into executive session for Contracts/Personnel at 7:27 P.M.  Don Nickless was invited to stay.  All others were excused.  The Board came out of executive session at 8:36 P.M.   



The Select Board corrected minutes of 12/10/03 were reviewed discussed and approved. The corrected Special Select Board minutes of 12/19/03 were reviewed, discussed and approved.  The Selectboard minutes of 12/23/03 were reviewed, discussed and approved.



 The orders of 1/7/04 were reviewed, discussed and approved.  H. McKinlay will draft a letter thanking Neil H. Daniel’s Inc. Construction for constructing the temporary walkway on the Cooley Bridge.




Trail License

B. Morgan addressed the Board in reference to a new pedestrian trail license.  The Board reviewed the license submitted.  The proposed license is being revised since Pittsford has been accepted into the State trail system.  P. Cady and the Trail Committee have reviewed the Pedestrian Trail License.  Once the Board approves the trail license copies will be sent to all concerned landowners.  The Board asked if the Town has any implied liability.  B. Morgan stated P. Cady has informed him the Town does have a blanket insurance coverage, but in the case of litigation the Town should be cleared.  The Board asked if it was a goal of the Trail Committee to be included in the State trail system.  B Morgan stated that it wasn’t a set goal but the committee did apply and they were accepted.  The Board asked the need for a license.  B. Morgan stated that it creates an agreement between the Trail Committee and the private landowners.  It provides the landowner with some assurance against liability.  The Board asked about the referenced State statutes cited within the permit and asked if the Town’s trails would now be under ANR jurisdiction.  B. Morgan stated the Agency of Natural Resources would not come into Town and state what will be done on these trails.  D. Nickless asked who would be liable if someone was injured on private property.   B. Morgan stated that the Town would not be reviewed as liable.  D. Nickless stated that when he agreed to have a trail on his personal property he requested a certificate of insurance liability and he received one.  Where did that insurance certificate come from?  B. Morgan stated from the Town of Pittsford.  P. Cady recommended we should continue to issue the certificate of insurance to private landowners.    B. Morgan stated the liability insurance would be part of the standard Town liability insurance policy and no additional premium would be necessary.  The Board will table the discussion until the next regularly scheduled meeting when additional information will be provided on insurance liability coverage.


Speed Limit Concern

B. Morgan read a letter from Janet Zutell (See attached) in reference to the speed of traffic on Route 7 in front of Kamuda’s.  B. Morgan presented the letter to D. Nickless. 


Transfer Station

B. Morgan presented some concerns about the Transfer Station.  The suggestion was to request residents compact their tin cans and corrugated cardboard.  Also to stop vehicles without dump stickers or VT license plates.  Residents with second homes should be able to use the Transfer Station.  Are pick up trucks with multiple bags being charged the correct rate?  B. Morgan recommended having a monitor down at the Transfer Station to help advise residents.  B. Morgan recommended trucks be covered so trash is not flying out of the back of the trucks.  D. Nickless stated these concerns are being addressed.


Town Meeting

B. Morgan recommended having a Select Board member give a narrative prior to the start of the official meeting to inform the residents of what to expect at the nights meeting.  T. Pelkey stated that he would be addressing the meeting this year.  The Board discussed the direction of the meeting and prospective ways of handling the discussion to keep the meeting concise and on track.  The Board also discussed the format of the Town report and the necessity of all the entries and the book format.  B. Morgan departed at 7:14 P.M.


The Board recessed as the Select Board and went into Sewer Board at 8:42 P.M.  They reconvened as Select Board at 8:45 P.M.


Drinking Water Testing Alternatives

D. Nickless informed the Board that he had contacted two companies who perform water testing.  He had contacted the Board’s recommended testing facility and that company could not conduct the complete testing the Town is required to do.  SciTest and Endyne were contacted about their testing services.  A price list has been received.  Both companies could perform the required testing and both are approved as independent testing facilities by the State. 


New Fire Vehicle Funding

D. Nickless updated the Board on the interest rates available to finance the balance on the new Fire Department vehicle.  The vehicle replacement fund balance and annual deposits were discussed.  The Board recommended the Fire Department finance the balance owing on the vehicle with a low interest rate available to the Town.  D. Markowski moved and J. Gagnon seconded a motion to finance the total balance due on the new fire truck.  Unanimously approved.


Traffic Ordinance

D. Nickless informed the Board of fees to have a lawyer review the draft traffic ordinance and the approximate time it would take to review the documents.  The information D. Nickless is requesting as part of the review was discussed.  The Board’s consensus was to have D. Nickless finish the draft traffic ordinance and present it to VLCT for review. 


Special Appropriations – Financial Reports

The Board reviewed the financial statements of the special appropriation organizations requests presently included in the Town budget.  The Board will review the information and tabled the discussion until the next regularly scheduled meeting.  D. Nickless informed the Board that a modified list with an overall budget amount could be placed on the Town warning.



Road Access Permit

D. Markowski moved and H. Pelkey seconded a motion to approve the road access permit as submitted by Greg Whitehorne, pending final inspection.  Unanimously approved.


Road Access Permit (Final Inspection)

H. Pelkey signed the final inspection road access permit submitted by Andrew Wilson. 


Rutland West

The Board reviewed the information provided by Rutland West.  The Board asked if the BROC checking account was closed out.  H. McKinlay will research the account and get back to the Board.  The Board tabled the discussion until the next regularly scheduled meeting. 


Fire Warden Appointments

Lars Lund requested Select Board signatures on the Town Fire Warden appointments on enclosed State forms.  The Board signed the documentation. 


Gorham Bridge

The Board reviewed the updated information on the Gorham Bridge project.  The Board directed D. Nickless to contact the Town of Proctor and recommend that the Towns join forces in approaching the State to pay the additional costs for the temporary bridge and traffic lights due to the project delay. 


Without any further business, the Board adjourned at 9:24 P.M.


Respectfully submitted:


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Larry Pomainville, Vice-Chair - ABSENT

Dave Markowski, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Allan Hitchcock, Selectman

Paula Bizon, Recording Secretary     

Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page