Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.





December 27, 2007


Planning Commission Members Present - Kathryn Brown, Don Nickless, and Thor Konwin.  Others Present  - Amy Loomis and Kelly Giard - Recording Secretary.


D. Nickless, Chair, called meeting to order at 7:00 PM


Project Updates


D. Nickless reported that the Act 250 permitting for OMYA's $10,000,000 dewatering facility has been approved.


D. Nickless distributed the Town of Pittsford Forest Management Plan for review and comments.


The Wind Park Project for Grandpa's Knob has approval from the State for installation of test towers.  Information was distributed for members to review.


D. Nickless stated that Kathleen Ramsay has located a Street Naming and Numbering Ordinance (adopted in 1997). The wording from this ordinance will be added to the Proposed Subdivision Regulations. 


D. Nickless presented a letter of interest from Clarence Greeno for consideration for one of the vacant Planning Commission positions.  D. Nickless will follow-up with Mr. Greeno and the item was tabled for a future meeting.


A. Loomis reported that there are pending Zoning appeals and violations that will come before the Zoning Board of Adjustment on January 7, 2008.  These appeals and violations were discussed.


The Subdivision Regs were reviewed with a minor change to be made.  These proposed Regs. will be forwarded to the Select board for consideration at a future meeting.


Year In Review


Members discussed the past year and the workloads that were handled.  Members agreed to meet once per month to begin January 24, 2008.  There was a lot of work that was completed in the year 2007 - including:  Approval of the Village Designation, Interim Town Plan was approved, Junk Ordinance was approved and the Subdivision Regs were reviewed and in the final processing stage.   



Town Plan


D. Nickless reported that the Rutland Regional Planning Commission had offered assistance in the final preparation of the Town Plan.  Discussion followed on the sections that are still outstanding and in need of work.    T. Konwin distributed a draft of the Traffic section for the Final Town Plan for members to review and comment.  The Natural Resources section may need to be re-worked and condensed down.  K. Brown offered to begin work on the Education Facilities section.


Key goals for the New Town Plan were discussed.  K. Brown felt that there should be a "vision" of "who we are and what we have" to include "where we're going."  There has been a suggestion that pictures be included in the Town Plan.  There was discussion to ask various volunteers or school children to work on the photographs.


The presentation was discussed.  There will be an announcement at Town Meeting to hold a meeting for comment and feedback from the general public.  The meeting date, time and place will be set prior to the Town Meeting. 


The only groups that have not been interviewed in preparation of the Town Plan include:  the Fire Department (D. Nickless will invite them for the January 24 meeting); the Farmers (D. Nickless will ask Sally Eugair to facilitate this); Churches (K. Brown will obtain the names of contacts at the various Churches); and the Select board (D. Nickless will invite them to the February meeting)


Zoning Regs


A. Loomis discussed including the new septic information in the Zoning Regs.  These will be forwarded following a conference that will be at the end of January.


Subdivision Regs


K. Brown inquired when these would be going to the Select board for consideration.  D. Nickless stated that he would notify the Planning Commission members prior to the meeting so anyone who is interested may attend. 


There was discussion regarding Subdivision Regs and Zoning Regs.  The decision was that the Subdivision Regs are not part of the Zoning Regs.  A. Loomis suggested that Flood Regs should also be considered.


Other Business


A. Loomis inquired why the Planning Commission minutes were not included on the Town website.  K. Giard was asked to follow-up with Kathleen Ramsay to see that this is done.


Next meeting to be held on January 24, 2008.


Meeting adjourned at 8:47 PM



Respectfully Submitted

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


Don Nickless, Chair
Thor Konwin, Vice Chair
Kathryn Brown


Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page