Members Present – Clarence Greeno, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Baird Morgan, and Ernie Clerihew. ABSENT: Helen McKinlay. Others present: John Haverstock – Town Manager and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
Chairman Greeno called the meeting to order at 6:35 PM.
Adoption of Agenda:
J. Haverstock stated that there was no need for Executive Session.
J. Haverstock reported that there was no need to amend the agenda. Motion by E. Clerihew and seconded by B. Morgan to adopt the agenda as presented. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
The minutes of the January 21, 2020 meeting were signed, with no changes.
Town Manager’s Report:
J. Haverstock reported the following:
- The water system’s Sanitary Survey that conducted by the State is complete, with the exception of the electrical condutit at the reservoir. This will be completed in the spring by Larry McDuff.
- The updated Sludge Management Plan has been sent to the State for review.
- There will be representatives from a town in Maine at the Wastewater Treatment Facility on February 20 to tour a working Aeromod system.
None presented at this time.
None presented at this time.
Update on Depot Hill Road Sewer Project Status:
John Kiernan sent an email to the Water and Sewer Commission outlining the status. State approval for the proposal to truck sewage from the lower pump station would require permits and waivers and the cost would be prohibitive. This topic was discussed further by the Water and Sewer Commission and it was decided to abandon this idea.
WATER AND SEWER:
Update on Route 7/Segment 2 60% Utility Design Engineering:
J. Haverstock reported that the drawings were submitted to the State regulators and funding sources for review and approval.
Utility Bill Abatement Requests:
J. Haverstock stated that the following requests have been received:
- Christine Newell stated that she was in the hospital in December and there was an outside hose that was discovered to have been running. Her sewer bill increased by $1,284.25. Motion by B. Morgan and seconded by C. Greeno to approve the abatement request. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
- Jackie Davis stated that she mailed her payment on January 24, 2020 and it was received at the Municipal Office on February 12, 2020. J. Haverstock stated that the post mark is not usually accepted as proof. However, the envelope was received in a sealed plastic envelope from the Post Office that indicated that the envelope was “lost”. Motion by B. Morgan and seconded by E. Clerihew to approve the abatement request of $58.07 in penalty and interest. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
- Evelyn Parker is currently in a nursing home and the property is currently up for sale with a sale in the near future pending. Motion by B. Morgan and seconded by T. Pelkey to abate $34.47 in penalties and interest. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
- Mr. Quaranto has paid the outstanding principle debt leaving $85.32 in penalties and interest. Motion by B. Morgan and seconded by T. Pelkey to abate the remaining amount. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
Request for Sewer Agricultural Exemption:
J. Haverstock stated that Matt Hart has made a request for an agricultural sewer exemption for his Arch Street property which has animals. Shawn Hendee has reviewed this request and stated that there are some used meters available and that the project could be done in-house if the existing plumbing is not complex. In the event that this cannot be completed in-house, Mr. Hart would be responsible to hire a plumber. There was discussion as to the number of animals are benefitting. J. Haverstock will discuss this with Mr. Hart. Motion by B. Morgan and seconded by E. Clerihew to approve the request. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
Property Damage Claim:
J. Haverstock reported that VLCT has reviewed the claim that was requested by Tom Bushey. VLCT has advised that, based on the scenario, there was no negligence on the part of the Town and VLCT planned to deny the claim. VLCT will communicate this information to Mr. Bushey.
Town Meeting Preview and Preparations:
Chairman Greeno will read remarks regarding the Water and Sewer Department activities at Town Meeting.
The Water & Sewer Commission adjourned at 7:01 PM.
The next regular meeting of the Water and Sewer Commission will be held on March 17, 2020.
Clarence Greeno, Chairman
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Vice Chairman