Meeting Minutes : Select Board – 10/16/19

Members Present – Thomas Hooker, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, David Mills, Alicia Malay and W. Joseph Gagnon. Others Present: Mike Warfle, Bill Pratico, Peter Hathaway, Carrie Dougherty, Ben Curtis, Bill Gladski, Town Manager John Haverstock, Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Chairman Hooker.

J. Haverstock reported that there was no need to enter into Executive Session.

J. Haverstock stated that there was no need to amend the agenda. Motion by D. Mills and seconded by A. Malay to accept the agenda as posted. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.


The minutes of the September 18, 2019 Select Board Meeting (revised) and the October 2, 2019 Select Board Meeting were signed, with no changes.


The orders in the amount of $198,221.42 and Payroll in the amount of $11,656.98 were signed, with the following discussion:

J. Haverstock reported that the invoice from LifTech, as well as an explanatory email was included in the packet to explain the charges for the recent repair work that was done to the backhoe.

D. Mills inquired about the expense for a polygraph. J. Haverstock and Chief Warfle stated that this was for David Soulia, Jr. – a standard practice for new recruits.

A. Malay inquired about the difference between Village lights and Main Street lights. J. Haverstock will research and report at a future meeting. A. Malay also inquired the expense to the Rural Water and was told that this was an annual membership fee to an organization that helps with training and certifications.

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for the lights and console work done to the new Police Department truck and would like to see a report of the total costs for the vehicle, including all installed equipment. J. Haverstock will check with the Clerks office to see if this report can be compiled. J. Haverstock also stated that there was a $5,000 grant received from OMYA to assist with the outfitting the new vehicle.

Town Manager’s Report:

J. Haverstock reported the following:

  • Paving for the West Creek Road and Whipple Hollow Road projects has been completed. Markowski Excavating is currently performing the related shoulder work. Once all bills are received and paid, they will be forwarded to the State in order to receive the $175,000 grant funding.
  • The Roof Project at the Transfer Station is progressing. There was no Agency of Natural Resources permit required, the local permit has been issued, and the Town is waiting for the State Fire Marshall’s permit prior to beginning construction.
  • The 39th Annual Haunted House will be held on October 18, 19, 25 and 26. The prices remain at $10 for adults and $5 for children under 12. This event is not recommended for children under the age of 5.
  • Donna Wilson has agreed to the terms that were discussed with her at a previous meeting.
  • The Town Manager has contacted VLCT regarding the Listers office concerns and awaits a proposal for a VLCT attorney to attend a future meeting to discuss the options with the Select Board. The Town has received an email that there is a resident who is willing to serve as a Lister. The Select Board agreed to table any appointment until discussions occur with the VLCT attorney.
  • Engineers have been contacted to submit costs estimates to provide a rough design of the preliminary design of the Village Sidewalk Project. This project only qualifies for Construction grant funding and the Town is responsible for any engineering costs.

Select Board Comments:

D. Mills reported on the Rutland Regional Planning Commission Water Quality Update. The documents were received late on Friday, prior to their meeting and they will be scheduling another meeting to discuss comments from member towns; D. Mills reported that Mr. Winslow, Chairman of the Pittsford Planning Commission, has asked that any Planning Commission matters be received by him sooner than later; D. Mills inquired if there were any hearings scheduled regarding the cell phone tower that is proposed to be constructed in town. J. Haverstock stated that there is a limited role for the host town but there is a possibility of requesting that another balloon test be conducted. D. Mills stated that the Rutland Regional Planning Commission has sent a letter to First Net to see what areas will be covered between the 3 towers being constructed (Pittsford, Mt. Holly and Benson). J. Haverstock stated that he can reach out to the developers requesting they attend a future meeting.

Public Comment:

None presented at this time.


Update on Tax Sale Process:

J. Haverstock reported that there were initially 11 parcels that were identified for tax sale; four have now resolved and there is a possibility that one will resolve in the very near future. The next step in this process is to forward any outstanding parcels to the Town Attorney for title research and a sale will then be scheduled.

Update on Amendment to Town’s Burning Ordinance:

J. Haverstock reported that there is no need for Public Hearings for an amendment to this ordinance. The Select Board will discuss the adoption of the proposed amendment to the Town’s burning ordinance at their November 6, 2019 meeting.


Review Backyard Target Practice Shooting Complaint:

J. Haverstock reported that there have been some complaints of backyard target practice shooting on Furnace Road. Chief Warfle explained that he received a call from residents north of the Rowe Pit driveway and the house in question is currently for sale. Upon checking the property, casings and a target were located. The target had an appropriate backstop. There was also evidence of trash burning near the brook. Chief Warfle stated that he contacted Brad Keith, fire warden. Chief Warfle also contacted the homeowner who indicated that her daughter and her boyfriend were residents in the home and have been evicted because of this incident. Chief Warfle stated that the activity has ceased and there have been no further complaints from this area. Chief Warfle stated that this house is not located within the confines of the Village. J. Haverstock reported that VLCT has given direction on the possibility of an ordinance. The Select Board agreed that there is no need for an ordinance as Chief Warfle has contacted the re

sidents and the issue has been resolved. J. Haverstock reported that he received another complaint and he will contact that resident with an update.

Discuss Budget Process for FY 2021:

J. Haverstock explained that the first draft of the FY 2021 budgets will be available for discussion for the November 6, 2019 meeting. The Department heads are working on their proposals and input. The budgets need to be adopted by the Select Board at a meeting in January, 2020 so they can be printed in the Annual Town Report.

Discuss Options Regarding Possible Participation in National Prescription Opioid Litigation:

J. Haverstock reported that information has been received regarding a Class Action Law Suit due to the opioid crisis. There was discussion as to the options and it was decided that the Town Manager will contact Bennington regarding their decisions to opt out of the case and bring their own lawsuit and there will be further discussions at the November 6, 2019 meeting.

Discussion of Police Coverage with Proctor Select Board:

Carrie Dougherty and Ben Curtis from the Proctor Select Board was present to discuss the possibility of Pittsford Police Department providing coverage beginning at the start of the next fiscal year. Ms. Dougherty stated that Proctor currently utilizes the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department for its policing needs and some residents have become unhappy with its coverage. J. Haverstock inquired the number of hours that are currently contracted. Ms. Dougherty stated that the current contract requires 40 hours per week. J. Haverstock inquired if there were specific times that are requested. Ms. Dougherty stated that there were no specific times, however, the 5 corners and school times were a concern. J. Haverstock inquired if Chief Warfle felt that there was adequate staff to cover this request. Chief Warfle stated that there is currently not enough manpower, however, there is a possibility of hiring a new officer. Chief Warfle stated that the current concern is vehicle and equipment availability as the Police Department covers Chittenden, OMYA truck detail and Pittsford. Ms. Dougherty stated that they are looking to establish the pros and cons of changing the policing within Proctor. Mr. Curtis stated that they are looking for options. T. Hooker inquired if it was a possibility for Proctor to purchase the vehicle and Pittsford would supply the personnel. Chief Warfle stated that that is a possibility. Chief Warfle inquired if there would be a liaison between Proctor and Pittsford as there is in Chittenden. Mr. Curtis stated that this is a possible. J. Haverstock asked to review Proctor’s contract with the Sheriff’s Department. Ms. Dougherty stated that this will be forwarded. D. Mills inquired if there would be a committee formed from each town to review the costs and other related concerns prior to entering into negotiations. The general consensus of the Select Board was to form a committee, which will include T. Hooker, D. Mills, the Town Manager and Chief Warfle. Chief Warfle stated that having a 40-hour officer in Proctor would develop a Mutual Aid for both Pittsford and Proctor in the event of an incident that requires additional personnel.

Ms. Dougherty and Mr. Curtis exited at 7:26 PM.

Presentation on the 2020 US Census:

Peter Hathaway, representing the 2020 US Census, was present to discuss the upcoming project. Mr. Hathaway presented the Select Board with information regarding the benefits of full-participation in the census. Mr. Hathaway explained that the Police Department is contacted prior to the decennial census to prepare them for residents inquiring about people in the area and knocking on doors. Mr. Hathaway also explained that the workers will never ask for credit card information, social security information or banking information.

Mr. Hathaway exited at 7:12 PM.


None necessary at this time.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:43 PM.

The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on November 6, 2019.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard

Recording Secretary


Thomas Hooker, Chairman


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Vice Chairman


Alicia Malay, Selectman


W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman


David Mills, Selectman