Meeting Minutes : Select Board 02/20/19

Select Board Meeting Minutes

February 20, 2019

Members Present – Thomas Hooker, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Alicia Malay and W. Joseph Gagnon. ABSENT: David Trombley. Others Present: Mike Warfle, Helen McKinlay, Chad Eugair, Ben Lawton, Chad Hewitt, Steve Belcher, Mike Blaisdell, Town Manager John Haverstock, Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Chairman Hooker.

J. Haverstock reported that there was a need for Executive Session to discuss one Legal issue (BLSG Mosquito District lawsuit) and one Personnel issue (Listers’ Office). Motion by T. Pelkey seconded by A. Malay to enter into Executive Session. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.

J. Haverstock reported that there is a need to amend the agenda to include a Discussion of BLSG Mosquito District and to add the request for Liquor License Renewal for the Country House Restaurant LLC as part of the Liquor Board meeting. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by A. Malay to adopt the agenda, as amended. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.

The minutes of the February 6, 2019 regular Select Board meeting were signed, with no changes.

The orders in the amount of $55,543.90 and Payroll in the amount of $11,746.58 were signed, with the following discussion:

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for a water tank heater. J. Haverstock stated that this was a bill for repairs on the Water & Sewer truck, which also included an inspection.

T. Hooker inquired about the expense for a compressor. J. Haverstock stated that this was to replace one at the Highway Department. J. Haverstock stated that there are 2 compressors that are aging and not performing well.

Town Manager’s Report:
J. Haverstock reported the following:

  • The Town Report dedication ceremony occurred on February 20, 2019.
  • The litigation regarding the Von Turkovich retail space project has been finalized and the court has approved the settlement agreement. The Court Order was included in the packet for review.
  • The Town Manager, Shawn Hendee and John Kiernan from Otter Creek Engineering met on February 5 with State representatives to discuss funding options regarding the Sewer Pump Station project.
  • Plans are proceeding for the bond vote. The Water & Sewer Commission voted to move forward with the project and the Select Board approved. There was a Public Hearing on February 19 and the second will be at Town Meeting.
  • The Winter Newsletter has been mailed.
  •  The Village Farm has expressed interest in hosting Pittsford Day. The Fire Department has also expressed interest. The Fire Department will be contacted to confirm its willingness to continue hosting the event.
  • The appointed officials have been contacted with regard to being reappointed and Animal Control Officer Cody Hesse has declined reappointment.


Public Comment:
Dave Mills reported that the Planning Commission has begun work on the Enhanced Energy Plan. The Rutland Regional Planning Commission template for this project will be sent to the Planning Commission members. Anyone that is interested in solar should contact a member of the Planning Commission for more information.

Continued Discussion of Winter Highway Maintenance Policy:
J. Haverstock reported that the advance forecast – related work schedule planning is working well and the staff is adjusting their schedules in the event of an impending storm.

Discussion of Winter Sand/Crushed Marble Mixture in Use by Highway Crew:
T. Hooker stated that he has heard from several residents that the current sand/crushed marble mix is not preferred as much as the straight sand. There was discussion that the marble adheres to the dirt roads better than the straight sand. Chad Eugair stated that the marble does not break down and is more visible. There was discussion on ways to handle this concern. J. Haverstock stated that he will be meeting with other Highway Foremen and will raise this topic and will report back.

Update on Town Meeting Preparations:
J. Haverstock reported that the Town Reports will be sent to residents in the next few days. There will be a meeting with the School staff on Friday, March 1 to discuss the set-up for the Town Meeting.

Remarks from Police Chief Regarding Possible Adoption of an “Event” Permit Requirement:
Police Chief Warfle was present to discuss the possibility of enacting an Event Permit requirement. Currently, there are events that the Police Department learns about belatedly by reading various local newspapers. Some of these events can really cause a strain on the Police Department and other Town services.

J. Haverstock stated that he has received sample ordinances and permit application forms for review. This topic was tabled for a further discussion following more research.
Chief Warfle exited at 7:33 PM.

Presentation of Annual Audit Report:
Chad Hewitt was present to discuss the annual external audit for FY2017-2018.

The audit resulted as an “Unqualified Opinion”, which is the best available rating.

Mr. Hewitt exited at 6:55 PM.

Consider Authorization to Post Roads:
J. Haverstock stated that this is an annual item that allows the Highway Department to post certain local roads that would be damaged during the spring thaw. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by A. Malay to sign the ordinance. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.

Review Application for Access/Right of Way Permit:
J. Haverstock reported that there was an application for an Access/Right of Way permit received from Peter Baker and Ariel Billings for property that is located on the Sangamon Road. Highway Foreman Chad Eugair has inspected the location and made recommendations. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by A. Malay to approve the application with Chad’s recommended conditions. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.

Discussion of BLSG Lawsuit:
Ben Lawton was present to make a status presentation of the lawsuit pending against the BLSG Mosquito District. Following the presentation, Ben Lawton, Steve Belcher and Mike Blaisdell joined the Select Board members for their Executive Session to further discuss the status of the lawsuit.

The Select Board recessed at 7:49 PM to convene as the Liquor Board.
The Select Board reconvened at 7:54 PM.

T. Pelkey made the motion and seconded by A. Malay to go into Executive Session for personnel and legal where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.

In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel and legal at 7:55 PM. Town Manager Haverstock, Ben Lawton, Mike Blaisdell and Steve Belcher were invited to remain for Executive Session.

Ben Lawton, Mike Blaisdell and Steve Belcher exited Executive Session at 8:24 PM. Donna Wilson entered Executive Session at 8:25 PM.

The Select Board exited Executive Session at 8:32 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:32 PM.

The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on March 6, 2019.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard
Recording Secretary
Thomas Hooker, Chairman

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Vice Chairman

Alicia Malay, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

David Trombley, Selectman