Meeting Minutes : Select Board

Members Present – Thomas Hooker, Alicia Malay, David Trombley, and W. Joseph Gagnon.
ABSENT:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey.
Others Present:   Chief Mike Warfle, Dave Mills, Mark Winslow, Nicole McPhee, Ed Bove, Kevin Blow, Ted Gillen, Darren Laughlin, Tom Shannon, Shawn Hendee, Bill Hemple, Rishi Connelly, Craig Bowman, John Haverstock – Town Manager, Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.


The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Chairman Hooker.

J. Haverstock reported that there was a need for Executive Session to discuss the Fire Warden and the Burditt Fund (Legal).  D. Trombley stated that he would like to discuss the Town Manager (Personnel).  Motion by D. Trombley and seconded by A. Malay to enter into Executive Session.  Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.

J. Haverstock reported that there was no need to amend the agenda.  D. Trombley stated that he would like to add the continued discussion of the Highway Department Policy for Storm Coverage.  T. Hooker stated that this would be included on the next agenda, when there will be a full board in attendance.  There were no amendments.  Motion by D. Trombley and seconded by A. Malay to adopt the agenda as originally presented.


The minutes of the June 6, 2018 regular Select Board meeting were signed with no changes.


The orders in the amount of $125,161.19 and Payroll in the amount of $12,388.94 were signed, with the following discussion:

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for tasers.  M. Warfle stated that this is the second of four payments.

J. Haverstock advised that the fiscal year is ending and year-end Orders will need to be signed by Selectmen.


Town Manger’s Report:

J. Haverstock reported the following:

  • Chairman Hooker, the Town Manager, Union Representatives, Shawn Hendee and Chad Eugair recently met to continue discussion on the renewal of the Union Contract.  The committee will meet again on June 26 at 2:00 PM, and possibly on July 9 at 2:00 PM.
  • Hazel Hunter from Project Worksafe has been to the Water & Sewer Department to assist with preparing the area for any VOSHA inspections.  A report will be coming in the future for review.
  • At the OMYA Community Issues Committee meeting, the planned Florence Smoke Stack demolition was discussed.  This structure is leaning and OMYA feels that this is a safety hazard.  Also, with the construction in Brandon, there will be a 10% increase in the load volume of trucks so the number of truck trips can be decreased.
  • Efficiency Vermont will be visiting the various Town facilities on June 19 to review and make energy saving tips.
  • The Zoning Board of Adjustment met on June 11 in Deliberative Session and will be meeting again on June 25, also in Deliberative Session.
  • The Pittsford Day Planning Committee will be meeting on June 27 at 5:00 PM in the Municipal Office Conference Room.
  • The Town Office and related services will be closed on July 4 in observance of Independence Day.  The Select Board will next meet on July 11.
  • Town property tax rates will be set once the issues are resolved in Montpelier with regard to the Education Funding.
  • The Trustees of Public Funds have retained an attorney and will be filing an action in Probate Court to clarify the rules regarding the Burditt Fund.  The hearing will be held on July 9 at    10:00 AM.  There will be further discussion of this topic in Executive Session.
  • Sherry Reed has submitted her resignation as the Town’s  E9-1-1 Coordinator.
  • Wilk Paving is expected to be in Pittsford during the week of July 2.  The Highway Department has completed the preparatory work.
  • Shawn Erickson reports that the grader will be returned in the next few days.  The shop has no additional recommendations for upgrades to increase the life of the grader.
  • Congratulations to Bruce Babcock, who was recognized at a recent Staff Meeting for his 40 years of service to the Town and residents.  (The verbiage of the plaque was read)
  • The deadline for the Summer Newsletter is July 15 to Linda Drummond.
  • The water meter readings will be occurring soon with the bills expected to be sent in the next week.
  • The Town Manager will be traveling to Montpelier with Steve Belcher and Baird Morgan on June 25 to discuss the Town’s application for Village Center designation.


Public Comment:
Nicole McPhee, was present to introduce herself as a candidate for Probate Judge in Rutland County



Update on Efforts to Sell or Trade Unused Snowplow:
J. Haverstock reported that the snow plow currently for sale via on-line auction.  As of just prior to the meeting, the high bid was $2,150, which is below the reserve price of $6,000.


Update on Proposal for Pittsford Police Patrols in Chittenden:
J. Haverstock reported that the contract has been sent to and approved by the Town of Chittenden.  Officer Antje Schermerhorn has been identified as the liaison for these patrols.  The budget that Chittenden has proposed covers approximately 7 hours of coverage per week.



Remarks on Rutland Regional Planning Commission’s Activities (D. Mills):
Ed Bove from the Rutland Regional Planning Commission was present to discuss the concerns that have been raised with regard to the Wildlife Corridor, Future Land Use Map and the receipt of notices for any hearings to be held at the Regional level.

Mr. Bove stated that Dave Mills and Dave Soulia have been attending meetings and is not sure where the communication is breaking down with regard to notices to the Town.  Mr. Bove stated that he is not aware of other towns experiencing non-receipt of notices.

Mr. Mills stated that he was listed in the minutes as being present at the April meeting and making a motion, however, he was not in attendance and feels that mistakes like this are occurring frequently.  Mr. Bove mentioned that he was notified via email that Dave Soulia resigned as Alternate in December, however, he is still attending the meetings as the Alternate.

T. Hooker stated that everyone should be working together, the RRPC, Pittsford Planning Commission, the Subcommittee, and the Select Board.  Mr. Bove was thanked for coming to the Select Board meeting and giving his input.

The Select Board recessed at 7:30 PM and reconvened at 7:35 PM.


Remarks on Fire Department Budget:
The officers of the Fire Department were present to discuss a purchase of SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) packs for the Fire Department, as the current packs are outdated.  The purchase would pull funding from fiscal years 2018 and 2019.  The proposed packs have updated “down alarms”, have heat imaging cameras and feature a 30 minute pack.

Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by D. Trombley to make the purchase, at the quoted price of $31,838.07, which will be funded from two fiscal years.  Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.


The Select Board recessed to convene with a Dog Hearing at 7:43 PM.

The members of the Fire Department exited at 7:43 PM.

The Select Board reconvened at 7:58 PM.


Consider Re-Hiring Sullivan & Powers as Town’s External Auditors:
J. Haverstock reported that Sullivan & Powers has presented a proposal of $26,000 (an increase of 4.4%) for the upcoming audit.  After the Town Manager expressed concerns about the increase, Sullivan & Powers stated that they were willing to increase the proposal by only 3% (or $25,600) and an increase of 2.5% ($26,200 and $26,900) for a lock-in for two additional years.

Motion by D. Trombley and seconded by A. Malay to accept the contract as presented with the lock-in rates.  Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.


T. Hooker made the motion and seconded by D. Trombley to go into Executive Session for legal and personnel where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.

In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of legal and personnel at 8:03 PM.  Town Manager Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.


J. Haverstock exited Executive Session at 8:25 PM.

The Select Board exited Executive Session at 8:40 PM.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 PM.

The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on July 11, 2018.



Respectfully Submitted,


Kelly Giard

Recording Secretary


Thomas Hooker, Chairman


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Vice Chairman


Alicia Malay, Selectman


W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman


David Trombley, Selectman