Meeting Minutes : Select Board

Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
May 18, 2016

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present:  Jane Cornell, David Trombley, Thomas Hooker, W. Joseph Gagnon, and Thomas “Hank” Pelkey.  Also present:   Ann Rademacher, Jeannie Corbett (6:52 PM), Rula Moradi, Nathaniel Vandal, Chris Cadwell, Bev Peterson, John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

J. Haverstock indicated that there was a need for Executive Session for a personnel issue.  Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to enter into Executive Session for personnel.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to amend the agenda to add to old business discussion concerning road construction.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.


The Select Board minutes from the May 4, 2016 Select Board meeting were signed, with no corrections.


The orders, in the amount $34,356.52 and $12,625.63 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for the Fire Department evac system in the amount of $1,063.70.  T. Hooker stated that this was for vehicle exhaust removal.


J. Haverstock reported on the following:

·      There will be a Pittsford Day planning meeting on June 8 at 6:30 PM at the Municipal Offices.

·      The flier for the Memorial Day festivities are included in packets for review and posted around Town.

·      The Town Manager will be attending the quarterly OMYA Community Issues Team meeting on Thursday, May 19.  Any one with concerns are encouraged to send them to the Town Manager.

·      The Board of Civil Authority will be meeting on May 25 at 6 PM to discuss a couple of proposed abatements and will have a VLCT training session from 6:30 – 8:30 PM to discuss tax appeals.  Letters will be sent to residents soon regarding their new assessments.

·      A grant in the amount of $100,000 was received for an additional box culvert.  There was no Class 2 highway grant received this year.

·      A grant was received in the amount of $20,000 for the digital mapping project for the water lines and infrastructure.

·      Cellphones and rechargeable batteries are now being received for recycling at the Transfer Station.  The next step under the State recycling law is food scraps.

·      Interviews for the Police Department positions have been held with an offer being made.   There was an additional candidate that the Committee recommended for the Academy and FTO training.

·      The Town’s Hazard Mitigation Plan has been approved by FEMA.

·      Jason Davis is meeting with the Town Manager monthly.  The Select Board, Town Manager, Town Clerk and Assistant Town Clerk are invited to attend ICS402 training.  Information was included in the packet for review.  The members of the Select Board are interested in attending.

·      There is a VLCT seminar planned for June 10 on 21st Century Policing in Montpelier.   Information was included in the packet for review.


Bev Peterson inquired if there were any plans on how to compost meat bones and meat scraps.  J. Haverstock stated that information is being sought on this.


Discuss Options Regarding Re-Orientation of Corn Hill/VT Route 3 Intersection:

J. Haverstock reported that Shawn Erickson has been in discussion with VTrans for  design support.

Update on Village Sidewalk Project:

J. Haverstock reported that Markowski Excavating is expecting to begin construction on the Sidewalk project on or about June 6.  SSM employee Bob Rossi has been identified as the resident engineer and will be in contact with abutting residents.  Some must have their mailbox moved to the other side of the street.  Letters have been sent to residents along the construction route to make them aware of the construction period.

Update on Solar Project on Markowski Property:

J. Haverstock and T. Pelkey have met with Nathaniel Vandal and Chris Cadwell to discuss the concerns that were raised in the Town’s letter to the Public Service Board.  Mr. Vandal stated that that these concerns have been addressed and all parties have agreed on the resolution.

T. Pelkey inquired if there would be any additional compensation to the Town for hosting this project.  Mr. Vandal stated that this is not a Net-Metering project, so there are no credits and the power is sold to the Public Service Board purchasing agent.

Mr. Cadwell stated that he is not prepared to answer this, however there is a possibility.    J. Haverstock will be in communication with Mr. Cadwell and Mr. Vandal.

Mr. Cadwell stated that he has the Right of Way permit ready to file.

Bev Peterson inquired if there would be any lighting at the location.  Mr. Vandal stated that there would be no lights and would be the same as the project on Kendall Hill Road.

Ms. Peterson inquired about the length of the construction project.  Mr. Cadwell stated that the project would begin next spring and last for approximately 3 months.

Ms. Peterson inquired if the renewable energy credits would stay in Vermont.  Mr. Cadwell stated that the credits are sold to the Public Service Board.  Mr. Vandal explained that the involved utilities decide where the credits go and the Renewable Energy Standard gives the option to sell out of State or retire the credits.

Ms. Peterson, Mr. Cadwell and Mr. Vandal exited at 6:55 PM.

Discussion of Highway Construction Projects:

D. Trombley discussed the decision of whether to borrow funds to deal with the paving and reconstruction of roads.

D. Trombley stated that the current bond rates are reasonably low and that there are some sections of road that have been recently constructed which will be bad before they come back around in the current “rotation” for attention.

There was much discussion concerning the roads.  The Select Board will visit this topic during the next budget cycle to see what is the best option, whether to budget more for paving and reconstruction or to further investigate bond funding.


Consider Offer to Join BLSG Mosquito District:

J. Haverstock gave the background and history of the residents’ concerns over mosquito control in town.  The Mosquito District has proposed larvicide only membership in the District for $15,000 per year.  This proposal would include 2 residents present on the Board with the possibility of an alternate.  The State will provide the aerial application costs.

J. Gagnon inquired if the State would be assisting with any financial assistance as there was not as much mosquito habitat until the wetlands were constructed.  J. Haverstock stated that there was no baseline data to prove the theory that increased wetland acreage has led to more mosquitoes.

Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to join the district for $15,000 per year.  J. Gagnon inquired if there was any State support.  J. Haverstock stated that the State would be providing aerial spraying at no cost.  Motion passed 4 – 0 – 1 (Gagnon).

J. Haverstock stated that Board members should be designated prior to July 1.

Review Box Culvert Installation Bids:

This item was tabled until requested references information is received.

Acknowledge Receipt of Internal Financial Controls Questionnaire:

J. Haverstock stated that this was requested by the External Auditors and the Select Board is requested to sign the questionnaires to acknowledge receipt.  These were signed with no discussion.

Review Proposed Signage for “Kendrick Park”:

J. Haverstock reported that there have recently been beer bottles and litter located in the area of Kendrick Park.  A sign draft was included in the packets for review.  The Select Board unanimously agreed to have the signs posted to encourage residents to be respectful of the area and clean up any messes.

Review Police Chief’s Proposal Regarding Fees for Services:

J. Haverstock reported that Chief Warfle has proposed the following fees:

$50 to register and monitor alarms – a one-time charge

$50 to compose a letter to transport weapons in NH.

$50 to serve papers

$50/hour to monitor private party alcohol and traffic control

$50 to serve no trespass orders that are not case or crime related

Ms. Corbett stated that she feels that charging people using the Recreation Area may discourage its use.  D. Trombley recommended a flat fee for the Recreation Area.  Following discussion, this topic was tabled and Chief Warfle will be invited to the next Select Board meeting to discuss this topic.


None presented at this time.


T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel matters where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.

In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel at 7:39PM., Town Manager Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.

The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:48 PM.  Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by J. Cornell to increase Shawn Erickson’s hourly rate of pay by $1.00 per hour.  Motion passed 3 – 2 (Trombley/Gagnon)

The meeting adjourned at 7:47 PM.

The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on June 1, 2016.


Respectfully Submitted,



Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman


Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman


           Jane Cornell, Selectman


           W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman


David Trombley, Selectman