Meeting Minutes : Select Board

Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
February 3, 2016


The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present: Jane Cornell, W. Joseph Gagnon, David Trombley, Thomas Hooker, and Thomas “Hank” Pelkey. Also present: Dave Soulia, Mike Norris, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

T. Pelkey stated that there was no need for Executive Session.

T. Pelkey made a motion to amend the agenda to include a request from the Highway Department to post roads and discussion of Select Board packets T. Hooker seconded to amend the agenda and accept the agenda as amended. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

The Select Board minutes from the January 20, 2015 were signed with no corrections.

The orders, in the amount $50,898.49 and $16,638.77 (Payroll) were approved with the following comments:

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for Highway diesel exhaust fluid and asked what quantity was purchased. J. Haverstock will investigate.

J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The Water and Sewer bills have been mailed out and payments are due on February 4, 2016.
  • There will be a staff meeting on February 4, 2016 at 9:00 AM and the members of the Select Board are invited to attend.
  • The Town Manager will be attending the quarterly Omya Community Issues meeting on February 4.
  • The Town Reports will be mailed to residents on February 13.
  • The Town Report dedication ceremony will be held on February 17 at 9:00 AM at the Lothrop School Gymnasium (aka Town Hall). The honorees have been mailed letters of invitation.
  • Fire Warden Bill Bowman would like to address the Select Board on February 17 regarding the possibility of amending the Burning Ordinance concerning burning within the Village limits.
  • The report from the external auditors, Sullivan & Powers has been received and is included in the packets for review. One of the auditors may be attending the February 17 meeting to discuss this audit.
  • A letter has been received and included in the packets with regard to the Town receiving a State grant for $10,000 toward the Veterans Memorial.
  • The newsletter will be mailed to residents on February 4.
  • One of the 2 historical markers has been received. The Kendrick Dam marker has been received and the marker for the Village Green (reciting the Town’s furnace production history) will be arriving soon.
  • Pittsford and Proctor have agreed to another Food Shelf challenge. Residents are encouraged to bring non-perishable items or checks to the Food Shelf or to their local Town Meetings or to the Town Offices. The challenge runs until the end of April.
  • The Town Offices and related services will be closed on February 15, in observance of President’s Day.

Dave Soulia stated that the current draft of the proposed Zoning Ordinance has been delivered to the Select Board for its review. This draft will be available on the Town’s website in the next day or so, and is also available at the Town Clerk’s office. The document will be forwarded to legal counsel for review prior to the Planning Commission scheduling public hearings. Anyone with comments regarding the draft ordinance or the Town Plan should contact any member of the Planning Commission. The Zoning Administrator recommends sending the information to .87.200.

D. Trombley inquired who would be replacing Trish Lewis on the Rutland Regional Planning Commission. D. Soulia stated that the Planning Commission has discussed this and would like to have the position advertised. D. Soulia is currently the alternate and is willing to continue attending meetings of the RRPC until the position has been filled.

Continued Discussion of High Priority Highway Projects and Potential Borrowing Logistics:
J. Haverstock stated that the tour of local roads is currently scheduled for February 11 at 2:00 PM. The members are asked to meet at the Town Offices and will be carpooling to the various locations.

Discuss Town Meeting Preparations:
J. Haverstock stated that Jim Carvey will be attending a Town Meeting Preparation Seminar; J. Haverstock and T. Pelkey will be meeting with Deb Alexander and the School Custodian at the school regarding the set-up of the gymnasium; the Boy Scouts have been asked to present the colors at the beginning of the Town Meeting. The Select Board will meet in the cafeteria at 6:10 PM that night in a Special Meeting in preparation for Town Meeting.

J. Cornell inquired if the school board has described any agenda for their presentation. J. Haverstock stated that he has received no information. However, the school portion will be presented first.

Presentation Regarding Wilber Solar Project Proposal:
Mike Norris was present to discuss the proposed Wilber Solar Project proposal. The proposed location is off of Winslow Lane. The project is proposed as a 500 kW.

The project is the 4th array for this company. The others are located in Addison County.

The proposed solar panels are to be no higher than 12 feet, with a fence around the entire array. This array will provide enough electricity to power approximately 65 average homes.

The project honors the State-mandated 50’ setbacks and there is a screening plan in place.

J. Haverstock inquired if there were provisions in place in the event there is a need for emergency response. Mr. Norris stated that the area will be remotely monitored and response would be dispatched by an Operations and Maintenance contractor on a 24/7 basis. The transformers are owned by Green Mountain Power and safety disconnects will be in place at the meter.

J. Haverstock inquired if there were any provisions for decommissioning. Mr. Norris stated that there is none in place currently and that the panels are expected to have a life span of 25 – 35 years. The panels can be removed easily as there will be no concrete used in the installations.

J. Gagnon inquired if there was a maintenance plan in place. Mr. Norris stated that his company (Norris Brothers Solar Development) will manage and maintain the project.

D. Soulia inquired if there have been any situations of panels smoking due to lightning strikes. Mr. Norris stated that the panels are breakered at the pole and are very well grounded.

Mr. Norris exited at 7:05 PM.

Request to Post Roads:
S. Erickson has made his annual spring request to post roads. T. Pelkey read the resolution. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to accept the resolution. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0. The resolution was signed.

Discussion of Select Board Packets:
J. Cornell stated that the size of the Select Board packets is too large and there are multiple copies of items. There are also copies of correspondence that is also mailed. J. Haverstock will try to minimize redundancies in documentation.

There was no need for Executive Session at this time.

The Select Board adjourned at 7:15 PM

The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on February 17, 2016.
Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman

Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman

Jane Cornell, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

David Trombley, Selectman