Meeting Minutes : Water & Sewer Commission

 

TOWN OF PITTSFORD

WATER AND SEWER COMMISSION

May 19, 2015

 

Water and Sewer Commission Members Present – David Pearson, Helen McKinlay, Bob Harnish, Clarence Greeno and Ernie Clerihew.  Others present:  Shawn Hendee, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

 

David Pearson, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.

 

Adoption of Agenda:

  1. Haverstock stated that there was a possible need for Executive Session for discussion of the Blackberry Lane waterline project.

 

Motion by C. Greeno and seconded by B. Harnish to amend the agenda to include the changes recommended by J. Haverstock.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

 

Minutes:

The minutes from the April 21, 2015 meeting were signed, with no corrections.

 

Town Managers Report:

  1. Haverstock reported the following:
  •     The rate policies and FAQ’s have been posted on the website.
  •     Shawn Hendee and the Town Manager attended the Vermont Rural Water Conference recently.  Pittsford did not win the drinking water taste contest.
  •     Bruce Babcock and Shawn Hendee have reseeded the area on the West Creek Road where the damaged hydrant was replaced.
  •     The Town Manager, Bruce Babcock and Shawn Hendee recently met with Mark Youngstrom and Jason Larocque from Otter Creek Engineering regarding the potential GPS/GIS mapping project.  Mr. Youngstrom will be following-up and present a proposal.
  •     There is a possibility that there will be a modest surplus in the Sewer Fund budget for this fiscal year.

 

Public Comment:

None presented at this time.

 

Water:

Update on Proctor Water Study Loan Forgiveness Request:

  1. Haverstock reported that Rep. Shaw has written Legislation that the Governor has signed, allowing for greater debt forgiveness.

 

 

 

Review Blackberry Lane Water Line Replacement Bids:

  1. Haverstock reported that there were four bids received for this project and that all have visited the site. (Markowski Excavating – $50,000+; Richard Reed & Son – $19,500; Tom Grace – $9,250; and Gecha Brothers – $33,344).

 

Motion by C. Greeno and seconded by H. McKinlay to award the bid to Tom Grace in the amount of $9,250.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

 

  1. Greeno stated that he has spoken with Mrs. Armitage regarding the bill for the initial repair. H. McKinlay and J. Haverstock will research and contact Mrs. Armitage.

 

Continued Discussion of Water Main Re-Location in Area of Route 7 Bridge on Furnace Brook and Select Engineering Firm for this Project:

CLD budgetary information and proposal have been received.  CLD proposes to hang the piping on the bridge.  However, Otter Creek Engineering is unsure if that is the best route to take in the project.

 

Representatives from both firms will be invited to the next Water & Sewer Commission meeting.

 

Sewer:

Continued Discussion of Sewer Billing Abatement Request (L.F. Carter, Inc.):

  1. Haverstock stated that L. F. Carter has submitted invoices proving the water hauling away from the site and not being discharged into the sewer system.

 

  1. Haverstock recommended billing at the flat sewer rate at this location only. D. Pearson inquired the meaning of “unit” as stated on the bill. J. Haverstock will contact LF Carter to have the “unit” clarified and will discus at the next meeting.

 

Discuss Storm-Related WWTF Permit Violation of May 12:

  1. Hendee was present to discuss the permit violation that occurred following 3 days of heavy rain, causing the facility to be over-whelmed with rain. Approximately 3.04” of rain that fell in those days. S. Hendee explained the spikes and how the monitoring is done.

 

  1. Pearson inquired if there would be any actions taken by the State. J. Haverstock explained that in the past there have been fines. However, there was no way to know what will happen at this point. J. Haverstock stated that State notification is a priority in any event of this nature.

 

Grease Trap Compliance Report:

  1. Haverstock reported that letters have gone out to four food preparation facilities in Town with response from JR’s and Kamuda’s. Kamuda’s responded that they do not have a fryer and feel that they take adequate measures to ensure that grease does not enter the system. Keith’s Country Store would like to schedule a meeting to discuss the grease trap concerns.  C. Greeno indicated that Lothrop has contracted with the Russell Corporation to address their grease trap and will be taking a 0% interest loan from the Town.  C. Greeno also stated that he believes there is a deli at the Sunoco station, which J. Haverstock will research.

 

  1. Haverstock will draft a letter to Kamuda’s in the near future, pointing out the need for a grease trap.

 

Water & Sewer:

None presented at this time.

 

Other:

None presented at this time.

 

Executive Session:

None.

 

Adjournment:

The Commission adjourned at 7:20 PM.

 

The next regular meeting will be held on June 16, 2015.

 

Respectfully Submitted

 

 

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

_________________________________

David Pearson, Chairman

 

_________________________________

Clarence Greeno, Vice Chairman

 

_________________________________

Bob Harnish

 

_________________________________

Ernie Clerihew

 

_________________________________

Helen McKinlay