Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
April 1, 2015
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Jane Cornell, David Trombley, Thomas Hooker, W. Joseph Gagnon, and Thomas “Hank” Pelkey. Also present: Chief Mike Warfle, Sarah Gilbert, John Eugair, Bob Harnish (6:39 PM), Donna Wilson (6:54 PM), John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
- Pelkey and J. Cornell stated that there was a need for Executive Session for 3 Personnel concerns, to include the Town Manager. T. Hooker requested Executive Session for Contract concerns. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to enter into Executive Session for three Personnel concerns and one Contractual concern. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
- Haverstock indicated that there was a need to amend the agenda to appoint a Planning Commission member and the addition of Liquor Board business. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to amend the agenda and accept the agenda, as amended. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the March 18, 2015 Select Board meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders, in the amount $19,057.30 and $10,009.77 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:
- Gagnon inquired about the expense for highway and fire monitoring. J. Haverstock explained that this is a combined monitoring service for both buildings.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
- Haverstock reported on the following:
- The Feinstein Food Challenge continues until April 30. The Food Shelf will receive a matching donation for every dollar worth of food collected. Residents are encouraged to send donations to the Food Shelf or deliver items to the Food Shelf at Keith’s Country Store or the Municipal Office entryway.
- There have been two parcels of real property obtained by the Town through tax sales. The abutting neighbors have been contacted and advertisements are being published soliciting sealed bids.
- There will be a staff meeting on April 2 at 9:00 AM. The Select Board members are invited to attend.
- The deadline for the Spring Newsletter is April 15. Please submit any information to Linda Drummond prior to that date.
- Credit and Debit card transactions are now accepted at the Town Clerk’s Office. Any service fees will be the customer’s responsibility.
- The Secretary of State’s Office will be visiting the Lothrop Gymnasium and the Municipal Offices on May 8 to review handicap accessibility. Currently, there is a proposal for the front door of the Municipal Office. The Select Board would like to include the back door of the Conference Room in this discussion. J. Haverstock has researched the HAVA Federal Program and found that those funds are no longer available. Updates will be forwarded following this meeting with the State.
- The Red Cross Shelter Initiative will be holding a half day training session for any residents willing to volunteer. This program will require annual training and the Town will receive 50 blankets, 25 cots and 10 cases of water to assist in the event there is a necessity for an emergency shelter.
- Information regarding the sidewalk project was included in the packets for review.
- Randy Adams reported that the Recreation Area is in need of lifeguards for the summer season.
- The Town Manager will be out of the office on Friday, April 3 and Monday April 6.
None presented at this time.
Continued Discussion of Potential Taser Purchases:
Chief Warfle was present to discuss the potential purchase of tasers for use by the Police Department. Chief Warfle recommended that the matter be tabled for the time being until a training program can be located. Chief Warfle also located units that were less expensive than the original proposal. There was discussion regarding the use of the tasers and the topic has been tabled.
Chief Warfle also indicated that he has gotten his expense budget clarified and it is running at 75% of budget.
Continued Discussion of Listers’ Compensation:
Lister John Eugair stated that the RFP for reappraisals has been sent to six firms with a sealed bid opening to be held on April 29, 2015 at 11:00 AM.
The Listers were present to discuss compensation for their jobs. John Eugair explained that the job has changed considerably over the years and the Listers are doing more and are responsible for the Grand List. There are many programs that the Listers monitor and enforce through permits and other means.
Following much discussion and comparisons with other towns’ practices, T. Pelkey asked that the Listers’ compile a proposal and return to the Select Board for consideration.
- Eugair exited at 7:11 PM.
Appointment of Planning Commission Member:
- Haverstock stated that two residents have expressed interest in serving on the Planning Commission (Chuck Charbonneau and Rula Moradi), and the Select Board has the information on the applicants in their packets for review.
Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by J. Cornell to appoint Chuck Charbonneau to the position of Planning Commission member and Rula Moradi as a Planning Commission Alternate. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Remarks from Neighborworks:
Sarah Gilbert from Neighborworks was present to discuss the programs that are offered through her organization. Currently, there are 100 residents in Pittsford that have benefitted from the Heat Squad Home Energy Audit program. Residents are encouraged to call Neighborworks to discuss any home concerns.
Ms. Gilbert exit at 6:48 PM.
Re-Appoint Representatives to Rutland Regional Transportation Council:
- Haverstock reported that Margaret “Peg” Flory has served in this capacity in the past and has agreed to continue serving. J. Haverstock has served as the Alternate. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to re-appoint Margaret “Peg” Flory as the Representative to the Rutland Regional Transportation Council and J. Haverstock as the Alternate. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Re-Appoint Representative to Rutland Regional Planning Commission:
- Haverstock reported that Trish Lewis has served in this capacity in the past and has agreed to continue serving. Dave Soulia has expressed interest in serving as the Alternate. Motion by J. Cornell and seconded by D. Trombley to appoint Trish Lewis as the Representative to the Rutland Regional Planning Commission and Dave Soulia as the Alternate. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
The Select Board recessed at 7:15 PM and convened as the Liquor Board.
The Select Board reconvened at 7:18 PM.
- Haverstock reported that the General Fund expenses are at 76.6% of budget and the Highway budget is at 91.75% of budget.
None presented at this time.
- Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel and contractual matters, where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel and Contractual at 7:20 PM with the Town Manager and Chief Warfle invited to remain for Executive Session.
Chief Warfle exited Executive Session at 7:37 PM; J. Haverstock exited Executive Session at 7:50 PM.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 8:03 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 8:03 PM.
The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on April 15, 2015.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman
- Joseph Gagnon, Selectman