Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
November 19, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Jane Cornell, David Trombley, Thomas Hooker, W. Joseph Gagnon, and Thomas “Hank” Pelkey. Also present: Erin Mansfield, Tom Browe, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.
- Trombley stated that there is a need for Executive Session for Personnel, inviting the Town Manager to remain for Executive Session discussion. J. Haverstock stated that there is a need for Executive Session for Contract discussion, concerning the Police Cruiser sale.
Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to add Executive Session to the agenda. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to amend the agenda to add Liquor Board discussion and remove the Safe Routes to School agenda item.
Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the November 5, 2014 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders, in the amount $44,323.28 and $9,947.82 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:
- Gagnon inquired about the expense for tires. J. Haverstock reported that Shawn Erickson had researched the pricing and obtained three comparable proposals prior to purchase.
- Gagnon inquired about the expense for a mailbox replacement. J. Haverstock stated that this incident occurred last winter plowing season and the resident has just made his request for reimbursement for a new mailbox and post.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
- Haverstock reported on the following:
- The Town Manager recently attended a recycling seminar hosted by the Solid Waste District and the State of Vermont. Currently, Pittsford is in compliance with the “pay as you throw” system and the recycling requirements. The next step will occur in or before 2020, when food scraps must be collected and disposed of separately from garbage.
- The Town Manager also recently attended a seminar in Montpelier which was hosted by the State Agency of Natural Resources. Classes attended included Act 248 and Act 250 processes, and how to obtain State grant funding for various projects.
- Property taxes were due on November 11 and the Town Clerk’s office has reported a 97% on-time collection rate. The tax sale is scheduled and now involves only two parcels on which the property owners have not paid or made arrangements.
- A staff meeting will be held on November 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM. The Select Board members are invited to attend.
- Sullivan and Powers, the external auditing company has submitted a draft audit report, which is included in the packets for review. A representative will be present at a future meeting to discuss the audit.
- Congratulations to John Eugair for receiving a Certificate regarding work he does for the Listers’ office.
- OMYA has donated $5,000 to the Police Department to purchase equipment. Jim Stewart will be present at the December 3 meeting. Mr. Stewart is retiring from OMYA and this is expected to be his last visit to the Select Board.
- The Town Offices and related Town operations will be closed on November 27 and 28 in observance of Thanksgiving.
None presented at this time.
None presented at this time.
Presentation of Second Draft of Budgets for Fiscal Year 2015/2016:
- Haverstock presented the second draft of the FY 2015/2016 budget. Some noted points included:
- Cuts to the General Fund Budget include:
- Eliminating the proposed increase in Clerk/Treasurer pay due to the freeze of Elected Officials pay
- Reducing the computer purchase and contracts line item
- Reducing the Listers’ supply and expenses line items
- Eliminating the Police Department overtime line item
- Eliminating the proposed increase to the Police Department allocation line item for cruiser replacement
- Trombley inquired if the VTrans grants would be awarded prior to Town Meeting. J. Haverstock explained that these are traditionally awarded in May.
- Gagnon inquired about the status of the mosquito control efforts. J. Haverstock explained that the approved funding has not been spent as yet. Alan Graham has been contacted for assistance in directing the Town in addressing the concerns.
Consider Sno-mads’ Request to Use Town Roads and Rights of Way:
This is an annual request for use of the same roads ROW’s as in years past. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the request as submitted by the Sno-Mads. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
The Select Board recessed at 6:56 PM and convened as the Liquor Board.
The Select Board reconvened at 6:57 PM.
- Pelkey made a motion and seconded by D. Trombley to go into Executive Session for personnel and contracts where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel and Contracts at 6:57 PM.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:27 PM with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:27 PM.
The next meeting will be held on December 3, 2014.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
- Joseph Gagnon, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman