Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
October 1, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Jane Cornell, David Trombley, Thomas Hooker, W. Joseph Gagnon, and Thomas “Hank” Pelkey. Also present: Linda Fox (6:36 PM), John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.
J. Haverstock reported that there are 3 items to be added to the agenda. These items are: Addition of Green Mountain Power Petition. There is also the addition of Executive Session to include 2 personnel concerns, which include employee evaluations. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to invite the Town Manager to remain for Executive Session. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to amend the agenda as presented. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the September 17, 2014 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The Public Hearing minutes from September 17, 2014 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders, in the amount $37,168.58 and $10,787.64 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for Kendrick Dam engineering. J. Haverstock indicated that the project is currently “wrapping up” and the supplemental funding is being confirmed through the State and Federal agencies.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
• Countryside Glass has evaluated the Town Office’s entryway handicapped accessibility concerns and will be forwarding their proposal in the near future.
• Beginning with the November election, the Town’s polling place will be moved from the Town Offices to the Lothop School Gymnasium. There are many benefits to this move and this will allow the Town to be in compliance with various changing voting laws.
• The Lothrop School Board and Principal will make a presentation to the Select Board at the November 19 meeting with regard to the Safe Routes to School process.
• The budget season is beginning. The information and memos have been given to the Department Heads and will be reviewed over the next several weeks as a budget is drafted for FY15-16.
• The Recreation Department, with the assistance of the Highway Department staff, has completed the basketball hoop installation project.
• There will be a Select Board Institute training opportunity on November 8 from 9:00 AM – 2:50 PM. Information was included in the packets for review.
• The Vermont Maple Museum and Mike and Mary Blanchard invited the Select Board members to the bridge dedication to be held on Saturday, October 4 at 11:00 AM.
• The Annual Fire Department Haunted House event will be held on October 17 and 18 and again on October 24 and 25.
• Shawn Erickson has spoken with Mike Mullin from Pike Industries with regard to the paving to be completed in Town. Mr. Mullin indicated that they are expected to be in Town in the middle to late portion of the week of October 6. The Select Board expressed frustration with this timing and will be reviewing the Paving Contract to address this timing issue in the future.
None presented at this time.
The Select Board recessed at 6:47 PM to conduct a Public Hearing for the Parking Ordinance.
The Select Board reconvened at 6:51 PM.
Public Hearing on Proposed Parking Ordinance:
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the Parking Ordinance with the amendment to allow parking on the west side of Kamuda’s Market for employee parking. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Green Mountain Power Petition:
J. Haverstock has received a Petition and Order with regard to pole and wire locations from Green Mountain Power. Green Mountain Power is proposing to move lines and poles from behind JR’s Eatery to Depot Hill Road within the Town’s right-of-way. Shawn Erickson and members of the Water and Sewer Department have reviewed this request and have no objections to the proposal.
Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by D. Trombley to approve this request. J. Cornell expressed concern with traffic control in the area during the installation. This concern will be communicated to Green Mountain Power. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
None presented at this time.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel issues and employee evaluations where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel at 6:55 PM.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:40 PM.
Motion by T. Hooker, seconded by J. Cornell to award Police Chief Warfle the Master Skills rate of pay. Town Manager stated no objection. Passed 3-1 (Gagnon opposed; Pelkey abstaining).
The meeting adjourned at 7:41 PM.
The next meeting will be held on October 15, 2014.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman