Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
March 19, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Allen Hitchcock, Thomas Hooker, W. Joseph Gagnon, and Thomas “Hank” Pelkey. Absent: Jane Cornell.
Also present: Linda Fox, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.
The Select Board minutes from the March 3, 2014 special meeting and the March 5, 2014 regular meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount of $60,939.29 and $11,005.61 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:
A. Hitchcock inquired about the description on the GMP account being “elect. multiple fac” and inquired if they included the Village street lights. J. Haverstock will research and advise.
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense to Valcour for Police Department licenses. J. Haverstock explained that this was due to the two additional officer recruits that were currently planning to train at the Police Academy and they needed access to this service.
J. Gagnon inquired about the expenses for the Police Department vehicle maintenance being performed by Thunder Towing. He would like to see this work performed locally if possible.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- The water system expansion project was closed out on March 18 and documents were signed and the project was inspected with the contractor. The final paperwork for the grant funding is being submitted for reimbursement.
- The Chittenden Trail Hearing will occur on Saturday, March 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM on McKinlay Road in Chittenden.
- OMYA plant manager Jim Stewart will be present at the April 2 meeting for his regular discussions of plant operations.
- Robin Rowe has reported that Pittsford has “won” the Town Meeting challenge with Proctor. The Feinstein Challenge is in effect until April 30 and donations can be left at the Municipal Offices or the Food Shelf. There will be an Open House at the Food Shelf on Saturday, March 22, 2014 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 Noon and the public is invited to stop by.
- April 15 is the deadline for the submissions to the next edition of the Newsletter. Any information should be sent to Linda Drummond prior to that date.
- Pittsford Day will be held on August 16 at the Fire Station.
- Jason Gibbs from VT Gas has communicated that there will be a series of Open Houses in the region and updates on the proposed natural gas pipeline’s extension to Rutland in the near future.
- There will be a Select Board Institute on April 12, 2014 in Rutland, hosted by VLCT. Any Select Board member wishing to attend should speak with the Town Manager.
- The Town Manager will be away from the office from March 21 through March 26, 2014.
None presented at this time.
J. Gagnon mentioned that Selectman Jane Cornell was not included in a recent article in the Reporter describing election outcomes.
Appointment of Town Moderator:
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to appoint Jim Carvey to the position of Town Moderator. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Appointment of New 9-1-1 Coordinator:
Gordon DeLong has expressed interest in stepping down from this position. Shawn Hendee has expressed interest in this position and feels that he has the knowledge of the roads and area due to his experience in the Fire Department and working with the Water & Sewer Departments.
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to appoint Shawn Hendee as 9-1-1 Coordinator. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Authorization of Posting of Roads:
Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by A. Hitchcock to sign the documentation to authorize posting of roads. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Certification of Highway Funding:
This document is required and states that the Town pays in excess of $310 per mile to maintain roads. The document was signed by the Select Board members present.
The Select Board recessed at 6:49 PM to act on Liquor Board business.
The Select Board reconvened at 6:53 PM.
A Hitchcock stated that there is a personnel issue to be discussed in Executive Session.
A. Hitchcock made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure at for Executive Session.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel at 6:54PM.
The Select Board came out of Executive Session at 7:05 PM, with the no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:05 PM
The next meeting will be held on April 2, 2014.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman