Town of Pittsford
Select Board Meeting
March 5, 2014
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by John Haverstock, Town Manager.
Select Board members present: Allen Hitchcock, Thomas Hooker, W. Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, and Jane Cornell.
Also present: Linda Fox, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.
J. Havestock conveyed congratulations to Jane Cornell and “Hank” Pelkey for winning re-election to the Select Board.
J. Haverstock asked for nominations for the position of Chairman of the Select Board. Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by T. Hooker to nominate Thomas “Hank” Pelkey. With no further nominations, the motion passed 4 – 0 – 1 with Mr. Pelkey abstaining.
J. Haverstock asked for nominations for the position of Vice Chairman of the Select Board. Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by J. Cornell to nominate Allen Hitchcock. With no further nominations, the motion passed 4 – 0 – 1 with Mr. Hitchcock abstaining.
Chairman Pelkey thanked Selectmen Gagnon and Hitchcock for their presentations at the recent Town Meeting, as well as the Town Manager for his hard work on various pieces of the information gathered.
Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by T. Hooker to nominate Linda Drummond as Recording Clerk. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by J. Cornell to appoint The Reporter as the Official Newspaper. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the proposed meeting schedule as presented. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the following board appointments:
- Animal Control Officers – J. Michael Warfle; Lema Carter
- Delinquent Tax Collector – John Haverstock
- Emergency Management Coordinator – Odell A. D. Johnston, Sr.
- Enhanced 9-1-1 – Gordon DeLong
- Fence Viewers (3) – W. Joseph Gagnon; John C. Fox; **Vacancy
- Fuel Coordinator – John Haverstock
- Zoning Board of Adjustment (3 yr) 2017 – Stanley Markowski; Richard Conway; Clarence Greeno; **Vacancy (Alternate)
- Zoning Administrator (3 yr) 2017 – Ken Niemczyk
- Planning Commission (3 yr) – Don Nickless; Patricia Lewis; **Vacancy (2016); **Vacancy (2015)
- Rutland County Solid Waste Representatives – John Weeden; **Vacancy (Alternate Position)
- Rutland Regional Planning Commission – Patricia Lewis
- Rutland Regional Transportation Council – Margaret “Peg” Flory; John Haverstock – Alternate
- Recreation Committee – (3 yr) 2017 – Kathryn Shortsleeves; Jenny Parker
- Surveyor of Wood – Kenneth Gagnon
- Pound Keepers (2) – Edward Fox; **Vacancy
- Tree Warden Assistant – Randal S. Adams
- Tree Warden – Shawn Erickson
- Ethics Committee – Fred Hellmuth; Hope Rantanen; Helen McKinlay; Ronald Smith; David Thompson; Bob Harnish (Alternate); **Vacancy (Alternate)
The Select Board minutes from the February 19, 2014 meeting; and the February 19, 2014 Water Merger Public Hearing were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount of $39,249.69 and $14,146.32 (Payroll) were approved with the following discussion:
A. Hitchcock noted a payment to GMP, described as “Some Facility” and inquired what facility is referenced. J. Haverstock will research and advise at a future meeting.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- Town Meeting was held on March 3, 2014 with a “healthy” turn-out. Voting occurred on March 4, 2014 with 655 (or 31%) voting. Congratulations to Selectmen Cornell and Pelkey on re-election; Helen McKinlay was re-elected as Town Clerk/Treasurer; The School Board will be back at 5 members (Melanie Clerihew, Barbara Bourne, Sue Markowski, Erik Pearsons, and Clarence Greeno); The vote was positive for the Fire District #1 merger with the Town water system – and the State Legislature has been advised so they may finalize the process; the proposal for the change in distribution of the Town Report failed; and the formation of the Mosquito District was approved. The Town Manager will begin work on this project and will advise on status at future meetings.
- The Pittsford Food Shelf is in the midst of the Feinstein Food Challenge with Proctor. This challenge runs from March 1 – April 30. Donations can be dropped at the Municipal Offices, the Food Shelf at Keith’s Country Store or mailed to P. O. Box 553 in Pittsford.
None presented at this time.
None presented at this time.
Appointment to fill Elected Offices left unfilled by Election:
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to appoint Margaret “Peg” Flory as Town Agent and Peter Cady as Grand Juror. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0. The possible appointment of a Town Moderator has been tabled at this time, pending legal advice.
A State-mandated form with regard to the appointment of the Town Service Officer was signed.
A report was signed to seek VTrans grant funds with regard to the box culvert project at Meadow Lake Drive. This report certifies that the money has been spent on the project.
The Select Board recessed at 6:50 PM to act on Liquor Board business.
The Select Board reconvened at 6:55 PM.
J. Haverstock reported that there are two personnel issues to be discussed in Executive Session.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure at for Executive Session.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel at 6:55PM.
J. Haverstock, Fire Warden Bill Bowman and Police Chief Mike Warfle were invited to stay.
Chief Warfle and Fire Warden Bowman exited Executive Session at 7:24 PM.
The Select Board came out of Executive Session at 7:29 PM, with the following action taken:
Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by J. Cornell to suspend Dennis Duby from his duties as Animal Control Officer and Deputy Fire Warden, given his unavailability, without leave, and the Town’s need to have staff attend to Animal Control and Deputy Fire Warden duties. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0. J. Haverstock will inform Mr. Duby and Lars Lund (State Fire Warden) of this action.
The meeting adjourned at 7:31PM
The next meeting will be held on March 19, 2014.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman