Meeting Minutes : Select Board

Town of Pittsford

Select Board Meeting  

July 17, 2013   

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.




Select Board members present:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Jane Cornell, Allen Hitchcock and W. Joseph Gagnon. 




Also present:  Jim Crawford, George Clifford, Sharon Clifford, Don Chruscial, Tim Cornell, Jeremy Farnham, Amy Moriglioni, Niko Moriglioni, Patricia Roberts, Alicia McLaren, Alex McLaren, Helen McKinlay, Ann Rademacher, Bob Foley (6:39 PM), Dave Bowen, Mike Warfle (7:40 PM), Charles “Butch” Shaw (7:44 PM), John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.






The Select Board minutes from the July 3, 2013 meeting were signed, with no corrections.   






The orders in the amount of $12,198.16 (FY ’13); $32,055.20 (FY ’14) and $13,175.66 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:




            J. Gagnon inquired the expense for safety signs in the FY’13 expense.  J. Haverstock explained the signs are for various highway projects and will be reimbursed through grant funds.              






J. Haverstock reported on the following:


  • The directional boring and pipe laying is complete with the pump station now under construction.  There will be a coordination meeting with Proctor officials on July 24 at 10:00 AM and an anticipated complete conversion from one source to another to occur in September.
  • The sewer allocation buy-out payment from the State has been received.
  • The utility bills went out about a week ago.
  • The roofer has been contracted to repair the small section of roof at the Fire Station. A Request for Proposals, has been drafted for work on the main roof. 
  • Two painting estimates have been received with regard to the Iron Master Bridge and the Depot Hill Bridge.  Shawn Erickson is seeking a third bid. 
  • The Kendall Hill Road Bridge has had the broken guardrails replaced.  The State will visit the bridge in the near future to inspect the bridge and discuss delamination.
  • The existing culvert on Meadow Lake Drive will be replaced during the week of August 5 – 9.  The Highway Foreman has alerted the neighboring towns and a letter has been sent to the neighbors advising them of the construction.
  • Bruce Babcock, Selectman Gagnon and the Town Manager recently attended a meeting in Brandon with regard to mosquitoes.
  • A site visit is scheduled for July 31 at 2:00 PM at the Pomainville property to discuss the State’s desire to accept land from VELCO.
  • The Zero-Sort contract has been signed with Casella and the compactor has been ordered.  There will be a Casella employee present at the Transfer Station for the first 4 operating shifts to educate residents on the program.




J. Haverstock reported that the Water & Sewer Commission met and discussed the sewer bills needing further adjustment. 






None presented at this time






Continued Discussion of River Street Solar Array Proposal:


Jim Crawford has presented drawings of the project with 15 and 25 solar trackers.  Mr. Crawford explained the project to the members of the community that were present.




T. Pelkey had requested that Mr. Crawford quoted a minimum savings to the Town. Mr. Crawford stated that the Town would save $2,701 with the installation of the 15 trackers with a guaranteed minimum of $2,500.




There were several residents that live in the area of the proposed project.  Their concerns are highlighted:




v  The residents that were present were against the project for reasons including:  chemicals in the trackers; why not installed on municipal building rooftops; wildlife habitat disturbed; decreased property values.


v  Mr. Crawford explained that the trackers have no history of harm to human health  and this topic was discussed at the site visit.  Mr. Crawford stated that he has done research and found no evidence that any damage has resulted in any chemicals being released. 


v  Mr. Crawford explained that the trackers can not be installed on municipal building rooftops due to the proximity to the grid transmission lines.


v  Mr. Chruscial indicated that he sold the land that is being proposed as a host site and believed that this land was in the watershed protection area.  J. Haverstock read a letter that was received from the State indicating no issue with the project in the area.


v  T. Pelkey explained that there were no health, noise or wildlife disturbance concerns.


v  A. Hitchcock inquired why the streetlights could not be included in the calculated savings.  Mr. Crawford explained the formula as directed from the Public Service Board.  A. Hitchcock expressed that negotiations should occur for the project as do any other projects done at the Town level.


v  Neighbors recommended that the project be discussed with OMYA officials as the proposed land is utilized by farmers and wildlife and is not believed to be idle land.


v  Mr. Crawford explained that the Town would not be investing any funds, just the 1-acre of land necessary to construct the project, and would be producing $28,000 worth of power to the grid and the rest of the land could be utilized as before.


v  T. Pelkey explained that any funds received would be utilized by the entire Town through the Water Fund as this is water department land, which would keep rates down and would help to maintain the current infrastructure. 


v  The residents requested information as to what is inside of the trackers.  Mr. Crawford will supply this information.




T. Pelkey thanked the public for their input and invited any information that would help the Select Board make the best educated decision.




The residents exited at 7:24 PM.






Set Tax Rate for FY 2013 – 2014:


The tax rate was presented in two forms.  One form was to return $100,000 to the taxpayers, which was a result of “double collection” due to the various Town Special Appropriations.  The other form was to return nothing to the taxpayers.  T. Pelkey explained that there was an additional $80,000 in surplus in the General Fund. However, the auditors recommend holding this $80,000 due to the potential desire to return it next year, to offset likely increases in school spending.




Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the following tax rates for FY 2013 – 2014, reflecting the return of $100,000 in General Fund surplus:




                        GENERAL FUND –    $0.2222


                        APPROPRIATIONS – $0.0000






            HIGHWAY FUND                $0.2186


            VILLAGE                              $0.0396


            LOCAL AGREEMENT        $0.0016


            EDUCATION/RES                $1.3655


                        TOTAL                      $1.8475






                        GENERAL FUND –    $0.2222


                        APPROPRIATIONS – $0.0000






            HIGHWAY FUND                $0.2186


            VILLAGE                              $0.0396


            LOCAL AGREEMENT        $0.0016


            EDUCATION/NON-RES     $1.3567


                        TOTAL                      $1.8387


Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.




Remarks by Pittsford First Response:


Bob Foley informed the Select Board that, following the recent retirement of Marsha McMahon, the Pittsford First Response (PFR) currently has three members and has limited or no daytime coverage.  Mr. Foley stated that PFR is in need of help.  J. Haverstock will have this information put on the website, and will include an appeal for volunteers in the upcoming newsletter.




Mr. Foley also proposed the possibility of hosting an EMR (Emergency Medical Responder) course in the near future, however, requiring a commitment to anyone that completes the course be signed on to PFR for an amount of time.  Brandon is just completing the course and it runs two nights a week and costs $150.  There was discussion of the possibility of the Town assisting any interested resident with the fee if there is a commitment to joining PFR.




T. Hooker also proposed the possibility of enlisting mutual aid with Brandon and will speak to Jim Finger from Regional Ambulance.




Approval of Dog Warrant:


J. Haverstock indicated that this is an annual warrant that allows the Chief of Police to impound any and all unlicensed dogs.   Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by J. Cornell to sign the warrant.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.




Access/ROW Permit Application:


An application for Right of Way/Access was received from Dan Adams with regard to property on Corn Hill Road.

Motion by J. Gagnon and seconded by T. Hooker to approve the application as presented with the conditions as outlined by Shawn Erickson (cutting of trees, cutting of knoll for line of sight as discussed with property owner).  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.




Discussion of Police Equipment:


Chief Warfle was present to discuss the electronic tracking of police cases.  The current manual system will no longer be allowed.  Chief Warfle has done research with other law enforcement agencies and recommends the use of VALCOR and explained the differences between the two existing vendors. 




J. Haverstock indicated that the use of VALCOR falls within his $5,000 limit.  However, this was a discussion to keep the Select Board current on the Police Department’s purchases and plans.




Bridge Repair:


A letter from the State was included in the packets with regard to needed guardrail repairs at the Kendall Hill Road bridge.  The Town will be requesting a meeting at the site with the State to discuss proposed treatment of delaminated areas.




Mr. Bowen (formerly employed by Pike Industries) inquired why the bids for paving do not allow the use of recycled asphalt.  J. Haverstock explained that the Highway Foreman has experienced past issues with this product and Shawn Erickson will contact Mr. Bowen to discuss.




Mr. Bowen exited at 7:58 PM.




Ann Rademacher inquired if the wireless water meters emit any radiation.  T. Pelkey referred this topic to A. Hitchcock, Chairman of the Water & Sewer Commission.  J. Haverstock will get some information to Mrs. Rademacher.




T. Pelkey recessed the Select Board at 8:00 PM to convene as the Liquor Board.




T. Pelkey reconvened the Select Board at 8:02 PM.






J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund expenses for FY’13 are at 98.54% of budget and the Highway Fund expenses are at 100.8% of budget.






J. Haverstock reported that there are several personnel issues to be discussed in Executive Session.




T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel issues, where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town.




In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel at 8:04 PM.




J. Haverstock was invited to stay, as well as Helen McKinlay and Charles “Butch” Shaw.




C. Shaw exited at 8:20 PM; H. McKinlay exited at 8:23 PM; J. Haverstock exited at 8:24 PM and was invited to return at 8:45 PM.




The Select Board exited Executive Session at 8:48 PM.




Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to award Jean Parker the Master Skills rate of pay.  The motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.




The meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM.




The next meeting will be held on August 7, 2013.






Respectfully Submitted,






Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary






Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman






Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman






           W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman






           Jane Cornell, Selectman






               Thomas Hooker, Selectman