Meeting Minutes : Select Board

Town of Pittsford

Select Board Meeting

July 3, 2013  

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Jane Cornell, Allen Hitchcock and W. Joseph Gagnon. 

Also present:  Lucia Suarez, Trish Lewis, Jess Berry, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.


The Select Board minutes from the June 19, 2013 meeting were signed, with no corrections.   


The orders in the amount of $784,613.19 (signed on 6/28/13); $3,931.24 (FY ’13); $60,557.23 (FY ’14) and $16,737.22 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:


            J. Gagnon inquired the expense for the following items:

                        $638.06 for bridge repair and torches.  J. Haverstock will research and advise at a future meeting. (FY’13)

                        $224.00 for pole barn engineering.  J. Haverstock explained that this is the final bill for the pole barn survey project at the Transfer Station and this was required due to the proximity of the flood plain. (FY’13)

                        $2,875.13 for police Charger repairs.  J. Gagnon inquired if any of the work that had been performed was under warranty.  J. Haverstock explained that the vehicle is a 2007 and the repairs were required to pass inspection.  There was discussion of the possibility of the purchase of a new vehicle, which is not possible at this time due to the recent purchase of the Durango SUV. (FY’13)



J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The Water System Expansion Project has begun, with much of the boring being completed and the cement having been poured for the pump station foundation.  Most of the new customers have been contacted by Shawn Hendee and Bruce Babcock to assess what might be needed for the installation of the water meters.
  • The State has signed the contract abandoning its sewer allocation for the Fire Academy and agreeing to pay $50,000, which will be deposited into the Sewer Fund.
  • The Town Office and services will be closed on Thursday, July 4.  The Town Manager will also be out of the office on Friday, July 5.
  • Calls have been received concerning the mosquito issue.  There will be a meeting of State officials at the Brandon Town Hall on July 10 from 5:00 – 7:00 PM.  Members of the community are encouraged to attend.
  • The Sidewalk Committee will be meeting on July 8 at 2:00 PM with the new Principal of Lothrop School.
  • A copy of a recent Rutland Herald article addressing the lost OMYA trucks issue was included in the packets for review.
  • The top two bidders on the McPhee property have had some financial setbacks and will not be able to close.  The third bidder has been contacted to schedule a closing.
  • Green Mountain Power has posted flyers around Town advertising energy assistance for low-income residents.


None presented at this time


Update on Fire Academy Sewer Allocation Settlement:

This topic was discussed in the Town Manager’s Report and there was no further discussion.

Consider Execution of River Street Solar Array Proposal:

Jim Crawford was present to discuss the proposal for a solar array project at the Florence Pump Station location.  Mr. Crawford explained that the initial proposal was not valid as the expense for the un-metered streetlights was not eligible for savings to the Town.  Mr. Crawford presented a new proposal to the Select Board.

The new proposal includes the transfer of some of the savings to another company or school.  Mr. Crawford has contacted Roberta Enright, Chairman of the School Board. 

Several points were discussed, which included the payments to Green Mountain Power, current price paid per kilowatt hour, buy-back depreciation, increasing the amount of savings to the Town, taxes paid to the Town on the equipment, and permits.

The members of the Select Board chose to do a site visit on July 9 at 2:00 PM with any abutting landowners who would like to learn more about the project. Contract execution has been tabled until the site visit occurs and more information is obtained.


Discussion of Zero-Sort Recycling at the Transfer Station:

J. Haverstock included the information in the packets for review.  The compactor should be installed within 2 months following the signing of the contract.  A staff meeting will be held with the current Transfer Station staff members, as well as a notice in the upcoming Newsletter.  The members of the Select Board instructed the Town Manager to enter into a contract with Casella’s for Zero-Sort Recycling.

Mosquito Concerns at the Pomainville Property:

A letter from the State was included in the packets with regard to the mosquitoes at the Pomainville property.  The Select Board members would like to invite the State representatives to a site visit on either July 30 or July 31 to discuss the property.  J. Haverstock will notify the Select Board of the date once one is set.



Execution of External Auditor Contract:

This contract is a yearly agreement with external auditors – Sullivan & Powers –  for the amount of $23,300.  Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to approve the contract as proposed.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

Set Tax Rate:

The Select Board will meet at a Special Meeting at 5:30 PM on Thursday, July 11 to set the tax rates for the upcoming property tax billing.


J. Haverstock has received communication from Chittenden Selectman Dave Sargent with regard to replacing a culvert at the intersection of Stony Hill Road, Hitchcock Road and West Road.  The Select Board declined  to contribute funds toward a survey, as requested, but recommended having Shawn Erickson be in contact with the Road Commissioner from Chittenden to determine if a joint approach to future work of this intersection might make sense.  J. Haverstock will communicate this to Shawn Erickson.

J. Haverstock indicated that there was a summary of the bids included in the packets for review with regard to the Fire Station roof. There was discussion to replace the roof on the small section at a price of $2500 as proposed by Tom Doran. It was agreed that J. Haverstock would draft a Request for Proposals regarding the remainder of the roof.

J. Haverstock indicated that he has checked for organizations that perform bridge painting services.  The only company that does this type of work appears to be Vermont Protective Coatings, which have submitted a proposal for $81,000 for the work to be done at Depot Hill and $19,000 for the work to be done at the Iron Master Bridge.  Tom Roberts from AOT will be in communication with S. Erickson to discuss other possible contractors that he may know of.  The bridge inspection report was discussed and these bridge repairs were included on the most recent report.


J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund expenses for FY’13 are at 98% of budget and the Highway Fund expenses are at 101% of budget.


J. Haverstock reported that there are two personnel issues to be discussed in Executive Session.

T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town.

In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel at 7:36 PM.

J. Haverstock was invited to stay.

J. Haverstock was excused from Executive Session at 7:55 PM. 

Chief Warfle and Officer Brent Garrow were invited into Executive Session at 7:55 PM and exited at 8:15 PM.

J. Haverstock was invited back into Executive Session at 8:23 PM.

The Select Board exited Executive Session at 8:26 PM with no action taken.

The meeting adjourned at 8:26 PM.

The next meeting will be held on July 17, 2013.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman


Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman


           W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman


           Jane Cornell, Selectman


               Thomas Hooker, Selectman