Pittsford Select Board
December 19, 2012
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Thomas Hooker. W. Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Jane Cornell and Allen Hitchcock.
Also present: Lucia Suarez, Don Nickless, Trish Lewis, Bev Peterson, Allen Mills, Margaret “Peg” Flory, Brook Aldrich, Carol Aldrich, Ron Davis, Louise Davis, Mike Gecha, Lisa Wright-Garcia, Karen Webster, Bob Webster, Linda Fox, Ann Rademacher, Vanessa Mills-Holmquist, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
The Select Board minutes from the December 5, 2012 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount of $179,269.46 and $16,533.17 (Payroll) were approved with the following discussion:
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for lights at the Fire Department. T. Hooker explained that these are replacement lights and an Efficiency Vermont rebate is expected.
J. Gagnon inquired about the status of the expenses for the new Highway Department dump truck. J. Haverstock will combine related costs and compare to the quotes received.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- The sidewalk project design has begun. There will be a “start-up” meeting on December 20, which will include a walking tour. Fire Chief Hooker, Asst. Fire Chief Shaw and Highway Foreman Shawn Erickson are invited to join the Committee in this tour.
- The compensation checks from Proctor have been sent to the affected water customers that reside in Pittsford. The Loan Fund is being established and a Loan Application is being submitted to the Vermont Bond Bank.
- Three of the four required easements have been obtained with regard to the Water Expansion Project. The permit is being sought for construction of the well house. The bid process will occur over the winter and construction will begin in Spring 2013.
- The new Fire Department brush truck has been delivered and the used vehicle has been sold to Chittenden.
- A chair lift manufacturer will be visiting the Fire Station to price out a lift to make the upstairs handicapped-accessible.
- The deadline for submissions to the next issue of the Newsletter is January 15, 2013.
- The deadline for information for the Town Report is December 31, 2012.
- Select Board members Pelkey, Gagnon, and Cornell recently visited the Zero Sort Recycling Facility in Rutland. There are tours available on-line and in person. Anyone wishing to visit the facility should contact the Town Manager.
- Several holiday cards have been received.
- Several employees have expressed thanks for the Christmas gift cards that were received and two employees participated in the Gift of Life blood drive in Rutland.
- The Municipal Offices and services will be closed on Dec. 25 and January 1.
A. Hitchcock announced that David Boles recently resigned from the Water & Sewer Commission. Currently, the Water & Sewer Commission is searching for volunteers to serve on the Commission, preferably volunteers that utilize the water and/or sewer systems. Any resident that is interested in serving should contact the Town Manager.
Mike Gecha inquired if the Sidewalk Committee would be accepting suggestions from the Lothrop School. J. Haverstock noted that Principal West is on the Sidewalk Committee. Mr. Gecha also inquired the process of the sale of the fire vehicle. J. Haverstock explained that govdeals.com was consulted for the pricing assessment and a local offer was received in excess of the assessed value.
None presented at this time.
Update on FY 2013 – 2014 Budget Preparations:
J. Haverstock reported that there are two more Select Board meetings before finalizing the proposed budget.
Review Request of Sno-Mads to Use Town ROW’s:
J. Haverstock reported that Sam Markowski and Dave Markowski, representing Sno-Mads Snowmobile Club, have requested access of Town rights-of-ways as in the past. A list of those roads was included in the packets for review.
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve, as requested. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Chairman Pelkey recessed the Select Board at 6:44 PM.
Vote on Approval of Amended Town Plan:
This is the second meeting of two required (the first was held on December 12, 2012), publicly warned Public Hearings for the consideration and possible adoption of the proposed Amended Town Plan.
Chairman of the Planning Commission, Don Nickless reported that there were no additional changes other than two suggested minor changes in a letter received from Mr. Derek Saari.
Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by J. Gagnon to accept the proposed Amended Town Plan, with the two minor changes. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Chairman Pelkey adjourned the Public Hearing at 6:46 PM and reconvened the Select Board.
A request has been received from Jonathan Blake, the buyer of tax liens in a recent tax sale for the release of funds in a timely manner, in the event that one or more of the properties is redeemed. The resolution is as follows:
“Resolved, that the Pittsford Select Board hereby authorizes Town Manager John Haverstock and Town Clerk Helen McKinlay to take steps which may be necessary, and without further Select Board action, to expedite the issuance of payment(s) required by Vermont statute to the successful bidder(s) at tax sales conducted on January 24, 2012 in the event that any of the three (3) liens noted below and sold at tax sale are redeemed on or before January 24, 2013.
Colbourne property (Parcel ID #0679)
Mecier property (Parcel ID #1695)
Molnar property (Parcel ID #1041)
Resolved on this 19th day of December, 2012.
T. Hank Pelkey, Chair
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chair
Motion to approve the resolution as stated by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Well Drilling Compliance Procedure:
J. Haverstock indicated that the State requires the adoption of Post Issuance Compliance Procedures and a Compliance Officer is required.
Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to adopt the Post Issuance Compliance as outlined in the packets and to appoint Town Manager John Haverstock as the Compliance Officer. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
None presented at this time.
J. Haverstock reported that there are Contractual, Legal and Personnel Issues to be discussed in Executive Session.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel and legal issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and for contractual issues that may be jeopardized by public disclosure at 6:54 PM. The motion was passed unanimously 5 – 0. J. Haverstock was invited to stay for Executive Session.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of contractual, legal and personnel at 6:54 PM.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:19 PM, with no action taken.
The next meeting will be held on January 2, 2013.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman