April 18, 2012
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, Thomas Hooker and Jane Cornell.
Also present: Lucia Suarez, Thad Poremski, Shelley Poremski, Melvin Aldrich, Carol Aldrich, Bev Peterson, Allen Mills, Vanessa Mills Holmquist, Stephanie Kennedy, Ferne Faivre, Gordon Delong, Dave Chapman, Lisa Wright-Garcia, Roberta Mills, Tom Carrara, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.
The Select Board minutes from the April 4, 2012 meeting were signed, with no changes.
The orders in the amount of $90,338.18 (General Fund) and $10,219.45 (Payroll) were approved and signed with minor discussion.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- The water and sewer projects were updated.
- The highway truck sale on govdeals.com was not successful. Therefore, the truck will be traded-in to the manufacturer of the new truck that has been purchased.
- Jeff Warfle will be graduating from the Vermont Police Academy on May 25.
- Green-Up Day will be held on May 5. Once again, OMYA, Bradley Keith Services, Keith’s Country Store and Pittsford Community Corporation will be working with the Recreation Department to sponsor and host a variety of events for the day.
- The newsletter is expected to be sent out next week
- Reunion Power will be present at the June 6 meeting to discuss the proposed wind farm. The Town Manager continues to research this project and is hoping to visit the wind farm in Sheffield. Representatives from Reunion Power were present at a recent Rutland Regional Planning Commission meeting to discuss the project.
- There will be a controlled burn on April 19 in the area of the West Rutland/Florence town line.
- There is a Select Board Institute training seminar on April 28 from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM in Fairlee, VT. Any Select Board member that is interested in attending should contact the Town Manager within the next few days.
Tom Carrara inquired about the status of the Zero-Sort recycling initiative with Casella’s. J. Haverstock reported that there has been no information regarding costs from the Rutland County Solidwaste District or Casella’s.
Several residents present expressed concerns regarding the proposed wind farm project under development by Reunion Power. The residents encouraged the Select Board members to oppose any applications in support of this project. Allen Mills indicated that he has begun circulation of a petition regarding this project. There will be a movie shown at the Congregational Church on Monday, April 23 at 6:30 PM concerning this topic and residents are encouraged to attend. T. Pelkey indicated that all input is taken seriously and will be considered.
Dave Chapman was present on behalf of Jim Grace to request naming two roads. One road is entirely in Pittsford and the other is in Pittsford and Rutland Town. J. Haverstock indicated that Rutland Town would need to be contacted before Pittsford could approve the name for that road.
Update on Potential Kendrick Dam Demolition Project:
Engineers will be present at the May 2 meeting to discuss this project and the necessary funding.
USDA Loan Closing Documents:
The water system planning loan has become payable early, since the project proceeded with ARRA funding. After forgiveness of $50,000.00, $63,000 is payable. There is an amendment to be signed and J. Haverstock reported that the funds are available in the Water Fund.
Fire at the Transfer Station:
J. Haverstock reported that there was a fire at the Transfer Station on April 14, after closing hours. The fire was in the pile of logs that has been accumulating over a number of years from a variety of projects. S. Erickson has sought out contractors to bid on the removal of piles. This topic was tabled to a future meeting.
All guests except Tom Carrara and Lucia Suarez exited at 6:53 PM.
The Board of Selectmen recessed to the Liquor Board at 7:01 PM. for the purpose of signing the minutes from the April 4, 2012 meeting. There were no corrections to these minutes
The Board of Selectmen reconvened at 7:03 PM.
A. Hitchcock reported that there were Legal issue and a Personnel issue to be discussed in Executive Session.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for Legal and Personnel issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and for Personnel issues that may be jeopardized by public disclosure at 7:03 PM. The motion was passed unanimously. J. Haverstock was invited to stay for Executive Session.
In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Legal and Personnel at 7:03 PM.
The Select Board came out of Executive Session at 7:25 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:25 PM.
The next meeting will be held on May 2, 2012.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman