October 19, 2011
The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Linda Weeden, and Allen Hitchcock. Also present: Tom Carrara, Dorothy Parkinson, Jack Rogers, John Weeden, Lucia Suarez, Charla Helton, John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
The minutes from the October 5, 2011 meeting were signed, with no corrections. The minutes from the October 13, 2011 meeting were signed with a change to the title of the meeting from “Special Meeting” to “Emergency Meeting”. D. Parkinson inquired about the reason for the October 13 meeting. J. Haverstock explained that this was due to the fact that an existing sewer bond refinancing deadline was rapidly approaching and the Town would benefit from the documents being signed promptly.
The Orders in the amount of $1,332,757.24 and payroll in the amount of $10,151.11 were signed, with the following comments:
A. Hitchcock inquired about the fees for rubbish removal and inquired if these fees were a bid item. J. Haverstock indicated that these fees are set through the Rutland County Solid Waste District and there are fixed rates per town. It is believed that the contactor is awarded based on bid pricing.
L. Weeden inquired about the expense to Crystal Rock Bottled Water. J. Haverstock indicated that this was a 2-month purchase of coffee. There was discussion concerning the office coffee use at the Town Office.
L. Weeden inquired about the expense to Strictly Speaking. J. Haverstock indicated that this was for phone improvements for the Listers’ Office and repairs to the Town Office phone system.
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for the firehouse door in Florence. T. Hooker indicated that OMYA donates the rent of the building, however, the Fire Department is responsible for the maintenance and repairs.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT:
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- Daniels Construction is expected to be at the Wastewater Treatment Facility on October 25, 2011 to install the cover system. A field representative will be on-site to assist in the installation.
- The Belden Company has 2 crews on Arch Street to work on the sewer project.
- There have been several successful Tropical Storm Irene fundraising events throughout town. T. Hooker reported that there has been over $45,000 raised to date. A portion of the proceeds from the Haunted House (which will be held on October 21 – 22 and October 28 – 29) will also be donated to the cause.
- There have been 12 applications received to date for the position of Zoning Administrator. Amy Loomis will be reviewing the applications and conducting interviews with the Town Manager.
- There will be a meeting on October 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM at the Lothrop Gym with Mark Youngstrom to discuss the options available to residents that will be losing water connection with the Proctor Water System.
- Randy Adams reports that there will be a disc golf tournament on October 22, 2011 at the disc golf course to benefit Tropical Storm Irene fundraising.
- The Town Manager will be out of the office on October 20, 2011 at a seminar. He will also be out of the office on October 21, 2011 and October 24, 2011.
- Congratulations to Fire Chief Tom Hooker for being appointed to the Vermont State Firefighters Association and the “coalition.”
T. Carrara inquired if a double yellow line would be painted on the Furnace Road. J. Haverstock indicated that he would discuss this with Shawn Erickson.
T. Carrara inquired if there was enough sand in stock for the winter months. J. Haverstock indicated that Shawn Erickson has this item out to bid currently.
T. Carrara inquired what was wrong with the door that the Fire Department repaired. T. Hooker indicated that this was a door opener issue.
J. Rogers inquired when the flag at the Town Office would be replaced. T. Hooker indicated that, once a rope is purchased, the Fire Department would be able to make the change.
Potential Adoption of Police Policy & Procedures Manual:
This item was tabled to a future meeting.
Discussion of Purchase of Additional Police Cruiser:
This item was tabled to a future meeting.
Update on Zoning Administrator Search:
J. Haverstock indicated that there have been 12 applicants to date and interviews will begin soon.
Public Comment on Proposed Adoption of Flood Hazard Regulations:
J. Haverstock indicated that there have been no changes to the Interim Flood Hazard Regulations, and this adoption is a formality. There were no objections or comments from the Select Board or the Public.
None presented at this time.
J. Haverstock reported that there are Personnel Issues, thus recommending Executive Session.
T. Hooker made a motion and seconded by L. Weeden to go into Executive Session for Personnel Issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town that may be jeopardized by public disclosure at 6:50 PM. The motion was unanimously passed.
In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board
unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel Issues at 6:50 PM.
J. Haverstock, was invited to remain for Executive Session.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:10 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:10 PM.
The next regular meeting will be held on November 2, 2011.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
Thomas Hooker, Selectman
Linda Weeden, Selectman