TOWN OF PITTSFORD
WATER AND SEWER COMMISSION
October 18, 2011
Water and Sewer Commission Members Present – Allen Hitchcock, Helen McKinley, and Bob Harnish. Absent: John Lapre. Others present: Dorothy Parkinson, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
Allen Hitchcock, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.
The minutes from the September 20, 2011 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
Town Managers Report:
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- There will be a meeting on October 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM at the Lothrop Gym with Mark Youngstrom to discuss options available to Proctor Water customers facing abandonment.
- A. Hitchcock inquired if Mr. Pearson has been in contact with Mark Youngstrom concerning the Fire District #1 combining with the Pittsford residents that will be abandoned by the Proctor service. J. Haverstock believes that there has been contact and discussion.
D. Parkinson inquired if there has been a response from EJ Prescott with regard to the lost revenue due to the error in the meter installation at OMYA. J. Haverstock indicated that a letter has been written and a reply is anticipated.
J. Haverstock indicated that the ball-valve failures all had different installers.
Update on Project Status:
J. Haverstock indicated that he has been in communication with Carl Crawford with regard to the Butler lawn repair. To date, there has been no communication from Mr. Butler.
There is still no date for completion of the Route 7 service portion of the project. J. Haverstock indicated that Rural Development/USDA would like to have the project completed soon. There will be communications with Markowski Excavating to get the project moving soon.
Discussion of Metering at WWTF and Fire House
The WWTF is ready for the meter to be installed. The possible installation at the Fire House was deferred to a future meeting. Bruce Babcock and Tom Hooker will be invited to the discussion.
Update on Project Status – Phase I & II:
J. Haverstock read an e-mail that was received from Mike Smith with regard to the sewer project. Some highlights include:
- The cover system is expected to be delivered on October 25, 2011. A field tech will be on-site to help Daniels Construction with the installation.
- The Belden Company has 2 crews on Arch Street and are making progress. There were some issues with a sewer main that was caved in. The repairs and by-pass pumping was included in the cost. Therefore, no change orders will be needed. Bob Berardo reported that he did see spiking flows when the by-pass was being utilized.
- The next project status meeting with Belden Company will be held on October 25, 2011 at 9:00 AM.
Discussion of Sewer Project Interim Financing:
J. Haverstock reported that the Select Board met to extend the sewer project interim financing for an additional 90-days. This extension was due to the delay caused by Hurricane Irene and the need for Belden to relocate for emergency work in Mendon.
Discussion of Sewer Bond Re-Financing:
J. Haverstock reported that the Select Board approved lower interest financing for the sewer bonds dated 2001. The Town will be saving approximately $45,000 if approved. J. Haverstock thanked H. McKinlay and her staff for the research and work on this project.
Water and Sewer:
This topic was deferred to Executive Session.
J. Haverstock reported that Stantec was done with the project of incorporating the recent water project into the VTrans Route 7 utility replacement plans.
Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by B. Harnish to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing an abatement request.
The Water and Sewer Commission entered into Executive Session at 6:56 PM. J. Haverstock was invited to stay. The Water and Sewer Commission came out of Executive Session at 7:07 PM. Motion by B. Harnish and seconded by A. Hitchcock to grant the abatement request from Phaedra Washburn’s utility bill, since the interest and penalty charges were incurred by the former property owner/occupant. Motion passed unanimously 3 – 0.
The Commission adjourned at 7:09 PM.
The next regular meeting will be held on November 15, 2011.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary _________________________________
Allen Hitchcock, Chair
John Lapre, Vice Chair