Meeting Minutes : Select Board

May 4, 2011

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present:  Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Linda Weeden, and Allen Hitchcock.   Also present:  Charla Helton, Dorothy Parkinson, Tom Carrara (6:43 PM), John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.



The minutes from the April 20, 2011 meeting were signed, with no corrections.



The Orders in the amount of $58,596.64 and payroll in the amount of $9,716.88 were signed, with the following comments:

J. Haverstock reported the following information on matters discussed at prior meetings:

  • Randy Adams submitted an e-mail to the members of the Select Board indicating that all funds for programs are recovered through the fees that are charged to the participants.
  • Shawn Erickson indicated that the expense for a truck bed chain was for the side dump truck spinner.
  • The Town currently owes more than $1 million on the Highway bond and this bond is expected to be paid in 2024.  A. Hitchcock inquired if it was possible to have the road maintenance on a similar schedule as the vehicles. Shawn Erickson has recently developed a road paving schedule.

T. Hooker inquired about the expense to Overhead Door.  J. Haverstock will review the invoices to see if any portion of the two invoices reflects any work done for Highway.



J. Haverstock reported on the following:


  • With the boring of several additional service lines beneath Route 7 and the upgrade of service to the lower section of Oxbow Road, the contingency grant funding projects should be exhausted in May or June and the water project will be complete.
  • The monthly progress meeting for the Sewer Project was held on April 26.  Mike Smith indicated that the project is more than 90% complete with a start-up on May 4 and was working as expected.  The Phase II bid documents are expected in the Town Office any day to be reviewed and approved by Bruce Babcock, Shawn Hendee, and Bob Berardo.  They will also be forwarded to the State for review and approval.  The bids packets will be advertised accordingly.
  • The construction at the Water Department offices is anticipated to begin during the week of May 16 by the McKernon Group.
  • Thank you to Linda Drummond for the work on the Newsletter.  A. Hitchcock commented that this was one of the most informative newsletters yet.
  • Green-Up Day will be held on May 7.  OMYA will be assisting with refreshments, with the assistance of Keith’s Country Store.  There will be a container at the Municipal Offices, as well as the Transfer Station to collect the special green bags.
  • Burning permits within the village limits are, by Ordinance, available from the first Friday through the second Sunday in May. The calendar this year falls in such a way that this would only be a 3 day time frame.  The Fire Wardens have been consulted and will be issuing permits for an extra week this year.
  • AOT has been consulted concerning the use of Jersey barriers in the area of high water and floods to assist in keeping motorists out of the water.  T. Hooker indicated that there does not necessarily need to be a Jersey barrier, just some kind of other deterrent at the water’s edges.  Shawn Erickson has included an e-mail in the packets for review.  Further information from VLCT will be sought.
  • The bids for the used 550 truck will be sought until May 13 at noon, at which time they will be opened and reviewed.  There was discussion concerning the advertisement of bid minimums in the future.
  • Condolences to Jean Parker, Assistant Town Clerk/Treasurer, on the passing of her husband, Jim.
  • J. Gagnon spoke with the Town Manager with regard to implementing the conversion of the rental fund to a capital reserve account.  The auditors have been consulted and will advise.



T. Carrara inquired about the warranty on the new 550 truck.  T. Pelkey explained that  warrantees vary between vendors and Mr. Carrara was invited to meet with the Town Manager to discuss and review the warranty.


D. Parkinson inquired if there were any bridges in Town that are in need of repair.  J. Haverstock indicated that the bridges are reviewed and inspected annually.


D. Parkinson inquired why there was survey work being done recently on Route 7.  There was discussion that this may be part of the possible Route 7 upgrade project.



Discussion of the Proctor-Pittsford Rifle Range:

A letter was received from Club President David King as to the steps taken to correct the issues at the Rifle Range.


The Town Manager provided a chronology of events so far on this matter.  The Town Manager’s letters were read by Mr. Fiske prior to sending.  The letters were sent out on April 25, 2011.  Don Keeler, from the Addison County Sheriff’s Department replied that he disputes having told Mr. Fiske to “go inside” and expressed objection to the letters.  On April 26, 2011, a call was received from Academy Executive Director Jim Baker indicating that there were elements of the letter which were inappropriate and that he would like to meet with Chairman Pelkey and the Town Manager.  A communication was received from Jim Sherman from the rifle range indicating that a letter would be received from Mr. King in the near future.  A letter of response was received from Mr. King on April 29, 2011. A copy of the draft minutes from the April 20, 2011 meeting were also sent to Keeler, at his request.  Lt. Dave Notte called to note that only 7 of the recruits in the shooting party were from the State Police.  A voicemail was received by the Town Manager that a request has been made from the Police Academy authorities that indicated that they would like to meet with Chairman Pelkey and the Town Manager on May 11, 2011.  T. Pelkey indicated that he would like to review the report of findings of the investigation prior to the meeting.


There was discussion concerning the original letter and jurisdiction over the Club. A. Hitchcock indicated that the letter that was received from the Fish & Game Club suggested that activities will “go on as planned”.


J. Haverstock indicated that Constable Warfle has indicated that the Fish & Game Department has jurisdiction over a request for inspection and that members of the club agreed to have this inspection.


T. Pelkey referred any public comments and questions to the Fish & Game Department.


Discussion of Proposed Expansion of Rowe Gravel Pit:

J. Haverstock indicated that there has been an Act 250 permit submitted for the expansion of the Rowe Gravel Pit.  J. Haverstock explained the background of the permit.  A. Hitchcock indicated that a better map is needed as the scale is poor.  Currently, there are survey markers on the property and work is being done there.


There was discussion concerning this application and various stipulations that may be sought in the upcoming permit process.



Proposal to Hang 250th Charter Anniversary Banners:

Charla Helton was present to discuss the upcoming 250th Charter Anniversary. There was discussion that the banners may be hung at the current “Welcome to Pittsford” signs at the north and south ends of Town, where they would not be in the State Right-of-Way.  There is also a possibility of placing yard signs at various businesses to also advertise the events.


Review of Bids on Sale of Used Police Cruiser:

J. Haverstock reported that 2 bids were received for the purchase of the used police cruiser.  J. Haverstock reported that the minimum bid was advertised as being $2,500 for the vehicle and an additional $750 for the police package (the radios and lightbar).


J. Haverstock reported that 1 bid received was for $807, well below the minimum.  The second bid was for $2,600 for the vehicle only.


Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by L. Weeden to accept the bid for $2,600 for the used police cruiser.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.  J. Haverstock reported that the winning bidder is William Humphries from the Town of Fair Haven.

Discussion of Proposed New Water Ordinance:

This was tabled until the May 18, 2011 meeting.



J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund expenses are at 83.6% and the Highway Fund expenses are at 107% of budget.  The Highway expenses are due to the timing of the Whipple Hollow Road project.



The minutes from the April 20, 2011 meeting were signed, with no corrections.



J. Gagnon expressed a preference that the purchase of future warranty purchases be discussed with the Select Board prior to any purchase.

T. Carrara inquired if there has been any research done on a plastic covering to protect the tandem truck body.  Mr. Carrara was asked to get any information to the Town Manager, who will discuss this with Shawn Erickson.



J. Haverstock reported that there are Personnel Issues, thus recommending Executive Session.

T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for Personnel Issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town that may be jeopardized by public disclosure at 7:29 PM.   The motion was unanimously passed. J. Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board

unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel Issues at 7:29 PM.

The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:39 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:39 PM.

The next regular meeting will be held on May 18, 2011.

Respectfully Submitted,


Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman



Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman



W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman



Thomas Hooker, Selectman


Linda Weeden, Selectman