Meeting Minutes : Select Board

April 20, 2011

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.


Select Board members present:  Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Linda Weeden, and Allen Hitchcock.   Also present:  Bruce Paynter, Mike Warfle, John Weeden, James Sherman, William Fiske (6:45 PM), Tom Carrara (6:47 PM), John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.



The minutes from the April 6, 2011 meeting were signed, with no corrections.



The Orders in the amount of $79,939.46 and payroll in the amount of $10,160.32 were signed with the following comments:


L. Weeden inquired about the following:


  • The expense for $500 to Adams Construction Services.  J. Haverstock explained that this was for the Energy Assessment Report that was conducted regarding the Town Office.  The report is in the Town Manager’s Office for review.
  • The expense for $799.00 to Charlebois for Truck 4 bed chain and $628.65 to Charlebois for 2011 Freightliner check.  J. Haverstock will look into the bed chain and indicated that the Freightliner check was for the new truck’s thorough initial inspection. There was discussion that this was not covered by warranty.
  • G. Stone Motors for $1,836.30.  T. Hooker explained that this was for repairs to the Fire Department rescue truck.
  • Kenlan, Schweibert & Facey for $180.00 for Paynter zoning appeal.  J. Haverstock indicated that this was a late billing that was received.
  • RNESU for $462.93.  J. Haverstock reported that this expense was for the ski lessons held at SnowBowl over the winter.  There was discussion regarding the Recreation Department trips and the members would like to see some kind of information that these trips are not costing the Town and the expenses are being covered by the fees that are charged.  J. Haverstock will discuss this inquiry with Randy Adams.


J. Gagnon inquired about the following:

  • The expense for $3,425.00 for the extended warranty for the Ford 550 truck.  The belief of Mr. Gagnon was that there was no discussion or approval of the Select Board for this expense.  J. Haverstock explained that this information had been enclosed in previous packets for review.  Shawn Erickson discussed the warranty with the dealer.  Mr. Gagnon inquired if the purchase of extended warranties was beneficial.  There was discussion concerning this topic and J. Haverstock will discuss this with Shawn Erickson.
  • VLCT Pacif for $50.00 for logging training for Chad Eugair.  J. Haverstock indicted that this training for a highway crewmember is for safety reasons.
  • The expense for $20,108.88 for the highway bond.  J. Haverstock will research the remaining length of this bond and report at a future meeting.


J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The remaining portion of the water project, route 7 services and service upgrades on the lower end of Oxbow will begin in May.  These projects will all be funded through left-over contingency grant funds.
  • Phase I of the sewer project is nearly 90% complete and Phase II bid documents will be going to the Town and the State within 10 days, for review.
  • The newsletter was received from the printer and will soon be delivered to residents.
  • The RFP for the Transfer Station has been sent to contactors.
  • A Request for Bids for the used police cruiser have been placed in various advertising venues.
  • Reimbursement has been received for the taxes on diesel fuel that was purchased.
  • A staff meeting will be held on April 21, 2011 at 9:00 AM and the members of the Select Board are invited to attend.
  • The Feinstein Food Challenge is still underway and residents are encouraged to contribute food or money to the Food Shelf.  These donations can be made directly to the Food Shelf, or in the collection boxes at the entrance to the Town Office.
  • VLCT recently issued a rebate for nearly $5,000 for the good recent Worker’s Compensation history.


A. Hitchcock inquired about the anonymous letter that was received regarding Creed Hill Road.  There was discussion regarding the drafting of the policy to handle issues that are submitted anonymously.  There was discussion concerning Creed Hill Road.



T. Carrara inquired if the State funding for road maintenance will be decreased.  J. Haverstock stated that there are no indications in either direction.



Discussion of the Sale of the 550 Truck:

J. Haverstock indicated that the advertisement for the 550 truck is ready to be posted.  S. Erickson would like the Select Board to be reminded of Mr. Carrara’s suggestion that the truck could be used for a back-up and/or used at the Recreation Department.  J. Haverstock indicated that he has spoken with Randy Adams and Shawn Erickson and neither department made any strong request to retain the truck.  T. Pelkey stated that when a new truck is purchased, the old truck should be replaced.  The Select Board members agreed to continue with the advertising for the sale of the vehicle.


L. Weeden inquired where the funds will go from the sale.  J. Haverstock indicated that it is his belief that the funds are put into the police cruiser Replacement Fund, when a police car is sold and that funds from the sale of highway equipment are put in a Highway Vehicle Purchase Fund.



Discussion of Operations at Proctor-Pittsford Rifle Range:

J. Haverstock indicated that a complaint had been received on April 8, 2011 from Mr. William Fiske, Jr.  Mr. Fiske expressed concerns about operations at the Proctor Fish & Game Club.  Mr. Fiske indicated that a bullet had landed at the feet of his son as he was working on a wood pile in the Fiske yard.  J. Haverstock indicated that the State Police was using the firing range for training at the time of the incident.  J. Haverstock indicated that he referred the case to the Constable for investigation.


Constable Warfle indicated that he has been working with Rep. Shaw concerning this incident.  Constable Warfle indicated that he was given contact information from the State, as well as folks involved with the rifle range.  Constable Warfle explained that he has spoken with a number of involved recruits, as well as Sheriff’s Department members.


Constable Warfle showed pictures of the range and explained the area to the Select Board.  Constable Warfle indicated that there is a safety team that will inspect the range, if range requests the inspection.


Constable Warfle quoted Mr. Fiske, who claims he was told by members of the training group that “he may not want to be using his property”.


Mr. Fiske showed the bullet that landed at the feet of his son.  Mr. Fiske indicated that the people that were present at the site confirmed that this bullet was shot from their weapons.  T. Pelkey inquired if the response from the gentlemen was not to use the property.  Mr. Fiske indicated that they asked his son how long he was going to be on the property splitting wood because they wanted to shoot more.  T. Pelkey indicated that such a response was unprofessional from an officer that is to be upholding the law and  protecting the public.  Mr. Fiske indicated that when he spoke with the gentleman on the phone, he asked if they were continuing to shoot at the same berm, and the gentleman indicated that they had turned to use another berm. Mr. Fiske expressed concern for the safety of the neighbors and the public in the area.


Mr. Sherman, Agent of the Proctor Fish & Game Club was present and discussed the incident.  Mr. Sherman indicated that the members of the club want this to be a safe place and will contact the State for an inspection.


A. Hitchcock inquired if the Town had the authority to close the area until an inspection is conducted.  J. Haverstock indicated that there is no information available at this time.  Mr. Sherman indicated that he will be in contact with the authorities to have the inspection done immediately.

T. Pelkey instructed the Town Manager to contact the authorities regarding this incident and would like a letter sent to the Police Academy, Attorney General, The Department of Public Safety and the Sheriff’s Department, stating that the site was being used unprofessionally.  T. Pelkey would like a public apology to Mr. Fiske.  T. Pelkey indicated that the letter should recommend that the area not be used until the inspection is completed.

Constable Warfle would like to have the names and numbers posted on the location, so that this information is readily available.


Mr. Fiske indicated that he has spoken with another member of the Club, who indicated that the Club wanted to make the area safe, but couldn’t because of costs and Act 250.


Review of Rowe’s Gravel Pit Act 250 Impact Questionnaire

J. Haverstock indicated that there was a questionnaire regarding the Rowe Gravel Pit included in the packets for review.  The questionnaire was discussed.  A. Hitchcock inquired if there were hearings scheduled.  J. Haverstock indicated that the questionnaire is part of the process.


J. Gagnon indicated that there should be a meeting between the Select Board, State, and any one that is involved in the permit process.



J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund expenses are at 80% and the Highway Fund expenses are at 106% of budget.  The Highway expenses are due to the timing of the Whipple Hollow Road project.



The Select Board recessed at 7:30 PM to convene as the Liquor Board.

The Liquor Board adjourned at 7:40 PM and reconvened as the Select Board.


T. Hooker raised concerns about high water and vehicular traffic on local roads.  There was five people stranded in high water last week and two were small children.  There was discussion of the possibilities of making a road block, possibly with Jersey barriers, when the water is dangerously high to discourage motorists from trying to pass through these waters.  J. Haverstock will discuss this with VTrans and surrounding towns to see how this type of situation is handled elsewhere.



J. Haverstock reported that there are Personnel Issues thus recommending Executive Session.


T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for Personnel Issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town that may be jeopardized by public disclosure at 7:42 PM.   The motion was unanimously passed. J. Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board

unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Personnel Issues at 7:42 PM.


The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:52 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:52 PM.


The next regular meeting will be held on May 4, 2011.


Respectfully Submitted,



Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman



Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman



W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman



Thomas Hooker, Selectman


Linda Weeden, Selectman