Meeting Minutes : Select Board

August 18, 2010

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Joseph Gagnon, Thomas Hooker, Linda Weeden, and Allen Hitchcock.   Also present:  Bob Harnish, Jamie Stewart, John Weeden, Mike Warfle, Tom Carrara, Bruce Paynter, Eugene Patch, John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.


The minutes from the August 4, 2010 meeting were signed with no corrections.  A. Hitchcock did want to express thanks to Linda Drummond for the time and effort that went into the Summer Newsletter.


The Orders in the amount of $14,147.53 for FY ’10; $153,045.89 for FY ’11; and payroll in the amount of $11,230.13 were signed with the following comments:

A. Hitchcock inquired about the number of flashlights that were purchased for the Constable (FY ’11).  J. Haverstock will research and advise at a future meeting.

J. Gagnon inquired about the purchase of Constable shirts (FY ’11).  J. Haverstock will research this and advise at a future meeting.  J. Gagnon inquired the number of shirts purchased and if this item was for a uniform maintenance on the Constable uniforms.

L. Weeden inquired about the invoice from Allied Auto for Truck # 1 brakes.  There were two invoices that both indicated ‘Truck #1 brakes’ (FY ’11).  J. Haverstock indicated that there two invoices for this truck and approved by Bruce Babcock.  J. Haverstock read one invoice indicating disc brake and one indicated brake rotor.

L. Weeden indicated that Crystal Rock was included on the Orders again.  J. Haverstock indicated that this will be discussed under a separate item on the agenda.

L. Weeden inquired about the entry for ‘Quickprint and US Postal’ for the Newsletter.  J. Haverstock indicated that this is for the printing and mailing of the Newsletter.

J. Gagnon inquired about the purchase of fuel at the Wastewater Treatment Facility as well as the lab.  J. Haverstock will research to see if there are two heating systems and advise at a future meeting.  T. Hooker indicated that there may be some generator fuel involved.

L. Weeden inquired about the funding to Top Dog as indicating ‘New Patrol Car’.  There was discussion that this funding was for the construction of the garage and the patrol cars will be housed in this facility.  This project fund was also subsidized for the time being from the Municipal Building Fund.


J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The Water Project is nearing completion.  Temporary patch paving has occurred on Arch, Pleasant and Mechanic Streets.  The residents were notified that the permanent paving will occur once the Sewer project is completed.  The Whipple Hollow Road construction began on August 16 and is anticipated to be completed in 6 days.  Metering is nearly complete and Bruce Babcock and Shawn Hendee have been trained on meter reading and Linda Drummond has been trained on the billing aspect.
  • Mike Smith is preparing a funding application for USDA/Rural Development.  The Water & Sewer Commission has directed the Engineer to proceed with the bid documents so construction at the Wastewater Treatment Facility can be put out to bid this fall.  The bids for the sewer lines on Arch, Pleasant and Mechanic Streets, as well as the Elm Street pump station will be sought late winter or early spring.
  • The Highway Garage construction has begun.
  • There will be a staff meeting on August 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM and all Select Board members are invited to attend.
  • Sullivan & Powers will be conducting the external audit during the week of August 30, 2010.
  • The drainage project at the Recreation Field has begun.  Howard Stickney is working on this project.
  • AOT has scheduled a Public Information Session to discuss their 100 feet right of way for segments 1 and 2.  This meeting will occur on September 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM, at the conclusion of the Select Board meeting.
  • Dan Adams is still researching a cost effective approach to insulate the Town Office.  Mr. Adams has contacted Efficiency Vermont with regard to this and will advise any information as it is available.
  • The Water & Sewer Commission has changed their September meeting to the 14th at 6:30 PM.  This meeting was originally scheduled for the 21st.  This change is to accommodate a meeting with Engineer Mike Smith with regard to the Sewer Project.
  • There will be a Public Hearing on Wednesday, August 25 at 6:30 PM to consider the adoption of the revised Zoning Ordinance.


T. Pelkey wished to thank everyone for the “get well” wishes and cards that he received recently.

T. Carrara inquired if the energy audit being requested by Dan Adams could include all Town buildings.  J. Haverstock indicated that Mr. Adams has been in contact with Jeff Manning from Efficiency Vermont.  Jamie Stewart advised that Efficiency Vermont is strictly electricity concerned and the weatherization is reviewed locally by BROC (Bennington-Rutland Opportunity Council)

B. Paynter inquired if there were maps available for review prior to the State Right of Way Hearing.  J. Haverstock indicated that there are a couple of maps available at the Town Office for review.

T. Carrara inquired if there would be a bulk purchase of the winter sand or gravel.  J. Haverstock indicated that the Clearlane has been purchased and S. Erickson will be contacted to inquire if a request for bids should be sent out.


Discussion of the Highway Water Cooler:

J. Haverstock indicated that there was a bid from a plumber in the packets for review.  J. Gagnon inquired how many contractors were contacted with regard to this project.  J. Haverstock indicated that there was only one contacted so far.  J. Gagnon recommended that more contractors be contacted with regard to this project.  The members of the Select Board agreed that more bids should be obtained prior to any decisions.

Discussion of Underground Storage Tanks:

J. Haverstock reported that Otter Creek Engineering has supplied a report, which is included in the packets for review.  The report indicates that there is no leakage from the tanks that were recently excavated and removed.  J. Gagnon inquired about the location of the Highway Garage heating oil tank and whether the fuel was being, or needing to be, mixed.  T. Hooker indicated that this is believed to be an inside tank.  J. Gagnon inquired if there was a credit received from the transfer of the fuel in the tanks that have been replaced.  J. Haverstock reported that a credit was received for all oil/diesel fuel pumped out of the tanks.


Budget Status Report:

J. Haverstock reported that the expenses in the General Fund for Fiscal Year 2010 are at 99.52 % of budget and that expenses in the Highway Fund are at 81.6 % of budget.

Potential Appointment of Water & Sewer Commissioner:

J. Haverstock reported that Bob Harnish has expressed interest in serving as Water & Sewer Commissioner.  A. Hitchcock explained that the Water & Sewer Commission discussed this appointment at their recent meeting and made the recommendation to the Select Board.  Motion to appoint Mr. Harnish to the Water & Sewer Commission by A. Hitchcock and seconded by L. Weeden.  Motion passed 5 – 0.

Mr. Harnish exited at 6:50 PM.

Presentation by Rutland Economic Development Corporation:  Jamie Stewart:

Mr. Stewart reported on the activities of REDC and indicated that he will be making these presentations on a yearly basis.  There was discussion concerning the suppliers of OMYA.  Mr. Stewart indicated that he has spoken with OMYA officials and a majority of suppliers to OMYA are from Vermont.  Mr. Stewart indicated that he is available for further discussion with anyone who would like to speak with him.

J. Stewart exited at 7:03 PM.

Discussion of Size of Police Cruiser Fleet:

T. Pelkey explained that the costs of maintaining two police cruisers are rising.  M. Warfle indicated that the crime rate is increasing, the vehicles are also being used for animal complaints, accidents, storms, parades, burglaries, just to name a few.  M. Warfle indicated that, in the past, before the second vehicle was purchased, he used his own vehicle to respond to complaints. However, there were “no tools of the trade” in such personal vehicle.  M. Warfle indicated that it would be a hardship to the citizens if there was not proper coverage and response.

L. Weeden inquired whether the Town needed or wanted two cruisers.   J. Haverstock inquired if one vehicle needed to be a 4 wheel drive vehicle.  T. Hooker inquired what the budget impact to the taxpayers would be when the revenues are reviewed against the expense.  M. Warfle indicated that ticket revenue is not immediate income.

B. Paynter explained that he has seen the Constables on Oxbow Road clearing the road during a storm.

There was much discussion concerning the cost of the repairs for the Explorer.  A. Hitchcock recommended trying one cruiser for a time and decide if one is sufficient or that a second vehicle is required, after the trial period.

J. Haverstock inquired if the Explorer should be sold or “driven into the ground”. M. Warfle indicated that there are roughly 107,000 miles on this vehicle currently.  M. Warfle agreed that there should be only minor repairs made to the Explorer, upon prior approval by the Select Board.  T. Carrara inquired if there were “heavy duty” parts being used for repairs to the Explorer.  M. Warfle indicated that he does not know what quality of parts are being used for these repairs.

M. Warfle indicated that the calls have increased to over 200 for the last 6 months. There was general agreement to continue using both cruisers but that there would be no more significant repairs to the Explorer without Select Board approval.

M. Warfle exited at 7:30 PM.


J. Haverstock reported that a engineering and HVAC reports were received with regard to the possible installation of two additional bay doors at the Highway Garage.  This report is included in the packets for review and will be discussed at a future meeting.  J. Haverstock indicated that the trucks and equipment are getting larger than when the building was originally constructed.  It was agreed that the issue warranted further investigation and discussion.

The Listers submitted a request for “Errors & Omissions” for parcel #1071 to make the parcels contiguous.  Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to approve as submitted by the Listers.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

The Listers submitted certificates for years 2008 and 2009 for approval.  These certificates certify the Grand List and that there were no appeals pending.  Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by T. Hooker to approve as stated for years 2008 and 2009.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

T. Carrara inquired if a time clock has been installed for use by the Constables.  T. Pelkey indicated that there would be no clock installed because the officers do not always report to the office prior to responding to an emergency.


J. Haverstock reported that there are legal issues, contractual issues, and a personnel matter to discuss thus recommending Executive Session.

T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for legal issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town,  contractual issues that may be jeopardized by public disclosure and a personnel issue at 8:34 PM.   The motion was unanimously passed. Eugene Patch and J. Haverstock were invited to remain for Executive Session.

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board

unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Legal, Contractual and Personnel at 7:39 PM.

Mr. Patch exited Executive Session at 8:05 PM.

The Select Board came out of executive session at 8:25 PM with no action taken.

The next regular meeting will be held on September 1, 2010.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman


Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman


W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman


Thomas Hooker, Selectman


Linda Weeden, Selectman