Meeting Minutes : Water & Sewer Commission

June 15, 2010

Water and Sewer Commission Members Present – Allen Hitchcock, John Lapre, Hope Rantanen and Helen McKinlay. Others present:  Tom Carrara, John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman, called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.

Minutes:

The minutes from the May 18, 2010 meeting and the June 3, 2010 Special Meeting were reviewed and signed with no corrections.

Town Managers Report:

J. Haverstock reported on the following items:

  • A letter has been sent to the Proctor Water Out of District users indicating that service to them would be discontinued.  There will be public meetings held to update these residents.  These meetings are expected to be held possibly in mid-July 2010.  The letter also indicates that there is no plan to disconnect this service prior to 2012.  The decisions that Proctor Officials have made have been referred to the State level for discussion.  There was further discussion that was referred to Executive Session.
  • There was a meeting held recently in Waterbury with regard to the recent penalty, which the State would like to impose on the Town due to alleged discharge permit violations at the Wastewater Treatment Facility.  This meeting was attended by A. Hitchcock (representing both the Water & Sewer Commission and the Select Board), J. Haverstock, Bob Berardo and Mike Smith (the project engineer for the proposed Sewer System upgrades to include the Wastewater Treatment Facility).  Proposals and descriptions of the pending project were presented for the State Officials to review.  A. Hitchcock explained that there is a possibility that the penalties could be paid to a third party for use for a water/sewer-related educational or physical project of public benefit.
  • The repairs to the Micro Strainer are anticipated to occur in the next week or so, depending on the availability of the parts required.  J. Lapre inquired if it would be beneficial to explore modifications to the strainer system to possibly avoid any costly repairs in the future.  J. Haverstock will research and advise at a future meeting.

Public Comment:

T. Carrara indicated that he would like to see a sketch or drawing that reflects the streets involved in the proposed Sewer Project and the scope of the overall project.  A. Hitchcock indicated that these drawings will be available at the Town Office in the next few days.  A. Hitchcock asked Mr. Carrara to be in contact with J. Haverstock to meet when Mike Smith is in Town to explain the projects.  J. Haverstock indicated that there will also be drawings available for review at the Informational Meetings to be held prior to the Bond Vote.

T. Carrara inquired if the “blue tank” will be sold.  A. Hitchcock explained that there is no decision yet, however, the bagger system will be advertised for sale soon.  There was discussion as to the removal of the “blue tank” and the bagger will be easier to dismantle.

Water:

Discussion of Water Project and Financing:

J. Haverstock reported that the water is currently “flowing” from Chittenden to Pittsford and Florence.  The Florence Pump Station/Back-Up Well Station is currently being “refurbished” as part of the Water Project.
The Construction and Metering portions of the Water Project are wrapping up.  The metering portion still has between 30 – 40 yet to be installed.  The final notice has been sent from the contractor with a “shut-off” notice included.  The deadline to schedule the installation is June 16.  Following the deadline, there will be a neon green “door knocker” tag left at the homes of non-complying users and a visit by Bruce Babcock and Shawn Hendee to encourage the meter installation as Pittsford/Florence only sell metered water.

The loan documents for the funding of the Water Project will be signed by the Select Board on June 16, 2010 at their regular meeting and the $2,600,000 loan final payment is anticipated on June 23, 2010.

H. Rantanen inquired if the pressure issues on the Plains Road have been resolved.  J. Haverstock indicated that Otter Creek Engineers could not determine a cause and the Town decided to provide new services to the two affected customers.  An additional resident that experienced pressure issues was found to only have “grit” that was determined to be associated with the meter installation, and this issue was also resolved.

A. Hitchcock inquired if there was a number of “over-all” complaints with relation to the over-all project.  J. Haverstock indicated that he has asked this question of Otter Creek Engineering and heard that the number of complaints was “normal.”  He noted that there were very few repeat complaints.  The metering installation has been the biggest challenge as there were breaks due to the aging of some service lines.  J. Haverstock reported that Mark Youngstrom is working on the technical/meter problems that are occurring.

T. Carrara inquired about the responsibility of the line and meter installation as there are a couple of service line issues at his residence.  J. Haverstock explained that the Town is responsible from the main to the curb stop and the customer is responsible from the curb stop to the house.  J. Haverstock recommended that Mr. Carrara be in contact with Carl Crawford, the resident engineer from Otter Creek Engineering, and the representatives from the metering company to resolve these issues and have the service line dug up and necessary replacement line installed.

Sewer:

Update on Status of Sewer System/Wastewater Treatment Facility Upgrade Project:

J. Haverstock reported that the Bond Vote notices have been posted in Town; the Newspaper warnings will be printed on June 29, 2010, July 6, 2010, and July 13, 2010; the Informational Meetings will be held at 6:30 PM on July 13, 2010 and July 19, 2010 at Lothrop Gym; and the Proposed Sewer Project Vote will occur on July 20, 2010 from 10:00 AM – 7:00 PM at the Municipal Offices; a Town-wide mailing will be sent later in June 2010.  J. Haverstock indicated that the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Water & Sewer Commission is scheduled for July 20, 2010 at 6:30 PM, however, that date is the Bond Vote.  The general consensus of the Commission members was to change the time of this meeting to 8:00 PM. A. Hitchcock recommended holding a meeting of the Commission prior to the Informational Meetings.  The members of the Commission agreed to hold a meeting as a “prep” session prior to the Informational Meetings.  This meeting will occur on July 6, 2010 at 6:30 PM.

Other

T. Carrara inquired if the dye/paint issues at the WWTF have been resolved.  J. Haverstock indicated that he has not heard any more complaints from Bob Berardo.  A. Hitchcock indicated that he has heard from Mr. Berardo that there was some yellow “cast” to the influent noticed recently, however, there is nothing conclusive.

A. Hitchcock reported no noticeable “spikes” in the reading reports from the WWTF in the last month.

J. Haverstock reported that a draft letter/newsletter item in the works to be sent to residents with regard to sump pumps and drain usages.

J. Haverstock indicated that the minutes of the Water & Sewer Commission are indicating that A. Hitchcock is still “Vice Chair” and there was discussion regarding this.  A. Hitchcock indicated that there is a need for one more Commission member and some names were discussed.  The Commission members were in agreement to appoint Allen Hitchcock as Chairman and John Lapre to Vice Chairman.

J. Haverstock reported that the Pittsford Water Budget revenue is at 105% of budget;  Pittsford Water Budget expenses are not accurate due to the Water Project; the Florence Water Budget revenue is at 117% of budget; the Florence Water Budget expenses are at 82% of budget; the Sewer Budget revenue is at 93% of budget; and the Sewer Budget expenses are at 83% of budget.

T. Carrara inquired if the rates have been adjusted and specified OMYA.  The concept of an ERU was explained and discussed.

Executive Session

A motion by H. Rantanen and seconded by H. McKinlay to enter into Executive Session at 7:16 PM for the purpose of Legal.  Passed unanimously.

Adjournment

The Commission exited Executive Session at 7:34 PM, with no action taken.

The meeting adjourned at 7:34 PM.

The next meeting will be held on July 6, 2010.

Respectfully Submitted

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

_________________________________

Allen Hitchcock, Chair

_________________________________

John Lapre, Vice Chair

_________________________________

Hope Rantanen

_________________________________

Helen McKinlay