Meeting Minutes : Select Board

February 17, 2010

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Joseph Gagnon, Margaret “Peg” Flory, Allen Hitchcock, and Thomas Hooker.  Also present:  Anita Paynter, Linda Weeden, John Weeden, Patty O’Donnell, Tom Carrara (6:34 PM), Rep. Charles “Butch” Shaw (6:37 PM), Matthew Harvey (6:38 PM) John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


The minutes from the February 3, 2010 meeting were reviewed and signed with no corrections.


The orders of $335,246.10 (General Fund) and $8,872.29 (Payroll) were approved and signed following discussion as stated below:

A. Hitchcock inquired about the purchase from Foley Distributing for the Fire Department, Wastewater Facility, Garage and Office.  T. Hooker indicated that this was for paper products.

J. Gagnon inquired about the expenditure of $1491.00 for road signs.  J. Haverstock reported that this is the replacement of various signs around Town.  There was discussion with regard to signs in the area of the Stevens Road concerning weight limits.  J. Haverstock will discuss the area with S. Erickson, Highway Foreman.

J. Gagnon inquired about the expenditure to Markowski Excavating for $824.00 to move the loader.  J. Gagnon inquired if this was something that could have been provided by the service contractor.  J. Haverstock will discuss this with S. Erickson and report back.


J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • Markowski Excavating has successfully gotten pipe laid under Otter Creek, completing the cross-country connection.  The water meter installation has begun.  The Town Office has its meter installed, the members of the Water & Sewer Commission and the Town Office staff witnessed this installation in order to be able to answer customer questions.  The Water and Sewer meeting that was originally scheduled for Tuesday, February 16 was postponed until February 23 at 6:30 PM due to the weather.
  • There are samples of 33-gallon bags at the Transfer Station to assist residents learn about the maximum size of garbage allowed for the $2 punch.
  • The Town Report was dedicated on February 17 to honor Phyllis Barnard and Bonnie Stewart.  The front cover is of the OMYA Verpol plant in Florence.
  • Preparations are underway with regard to Town Meeting, which will be held on Monday, March 1 at 7:00 PM in the Lothrop Gym.
  • The bid packets have been sent out for the potential purchase of the tandem truck for the highway department.  The bid includes bids for the chassis and cab and a separate bid for the truck body.
  • Shawn Erickson is working with J. Haverstock to apply for a Highway Grant for the paving of the Whipple Hollow Road.
  • There will be a staff meeting on Thursday, February 25, 2010 at 9:00 AM.  Members of the Select Board are invited to attend.
  • A reminder of the Feinstein Challenge to benefit the Food Shelf.  Pittsford has challenged Proctor in this effort. This begins at Town Meeting and continues through April.

J. Gagnon asked for clarification of the Grant for paving of the Whipple Hollow Road.  J. Haverstock explained that this Grant is for class 2 and 3 roads or structures.  There was discussion concerning this grant.

P. Flory indicated that she has had comments from some residents with regard to the bag sizes at the Transfer Station.  J. Haverstock was asked to include something in the next newsletter explaining the sizes.


L. Weeden asked about the tires that were purchased and discussed at the last meeting.  J. Haverstock reported that this was a purchase done by Bruce Babcock and not a highway department vehicle.  The belief is that these tires were purchased at the “State Rate” and were the cheapest price available.  There was discussion concerning this purchase and J. Haverstock will discuss the requirement of bids with Mr. Babcock.

T. Carrara inquired about the following:

  • The repairs on the police cruiser being completed.  J. Haverstock reported that the repairs completed were to have the vehicle in a safe operating manner.  However, there were some “recommended” repairs that were not done.
  • The loader being repaired.  What is broken?  J. Haverstock is not sure what the issue is and will discuss this with S. Erickson.
  • The Ford 550 – truck #3 was recently serviced.  What was wrong?  J. Haverstock indicated that he is not aware what the repairs were needed, however, will discuss this with S. Erickson.
  • Have the bookkeeping issues been corrected as recommended by the auditors?  There was a lengthy discussion that the Town Clerk’s Office does not report to the Select Board.  J. Haverstock is working with the auditors, and the Town Clerk is also working with the auditors to rectify these practices.  P. Flory explained that there are “best practices that should be put into place” and this is a difficult situation since the Town Clerk’s Office is independent from the Select Board and the Select Board will assist in any way possible.


Update on Timber Sales:

J. Haverstock reported that the project is continuing on the Nickwackett 2 sale.  The project is moving slower than anticipated and there is still intention that sugaring operations can proceed.

Discussion of Garage Project

J. Haverstock reported that a draft invitation to bid on the proposed garage is included in the packets for review.  J. Gagnon inquired if there was funding available for this project.

J. Haverstock explained there is roughly $32,000 available from 2 sources for this project.  The Board agreed to continue with the bid process.  L. Weeden inquired if this proposal included the larger door that was discussed at a previous meeting.  T. Hooker indicated in the affirmative.  J. Gagnon indicated that the size of the studs was increased from 2’ X 4’ to 2’ X 6’ to accommodate future insulation.  T. Carrara inquired about the size of the building.  J. Haverstock reported that the building is 32’ X 34’.  J. Gagnon inquired if the request includes the site work.  J. Haverstock indicated that the highway department could do the preparation work.

Discussion of the Sale of Land to the Vermont Railway

J. Haverstock indicated that there is a letter in the packets from Doug Zorzi requesting permission to conduct an appraisal.  The Board members were in agreement to grant consent.


Budget Status Report:

J. Haverstock reported that the General Fund expenses are at roughly 66% of budget; the Highway Fund is roughly 52% of budget; Clearlane purchases are at roughly 62% of budget.

Preparation for Town Meeting:

Matt Harvey, Moderator, was present to discuss the preparations for Town Meeting.  T. Pelkey will make the General Fund presentation; A. Hitchcock will make the Water & Sewer presentation; and J. Gagnon will make the Highway presentation.

T. Pelkey stated that the budget items will be discussed after the Select Board makes their various presentations.

M. Harvey expressed concern about the total number of warned items to be discussed.  There was much discussion concerning this and J. Haverstock will investigate the legalities of conducting paper ballots at Town Meeting.  There were various options discussed and C. Shaw (Chairman of the Board of Civil Authority) will be advised as to how this will be conducted so communications can go to the BCA members.

M. Harvey will meet with J. Haverstock and T. Pelkey prior to Town Meeting to discuss the format; J. Gagnon will also meet with J. Haverstock prior to Town Meeting to discuss the Highway Department budget and activities; T. Pelkey will also meet with J. Haverstock to discuss the General Fund.

Discussion of April Meeting Schedule:

J. Haverstock indicated that he will be away from April 3 – April 17.  It was agreed that the Board will meet on March 31 (a week earlier) to accommodate this scheduled absence.


A letter was received from Sue Hoxie requesting the use of the Florence Road for a Sunshine Walk/Run in memory of Sarah Leary.  There was discussion and it was decided to grant this request with the stipulation that the Police Departments in Brandon and Pittsford are contacted and made aware of this event and that the organizers are responsible for any fees incurred.  J. Haverstock will advise S. Erickson as well.

Motion by P. Flory and seconded by A. Hitchcock to approve with the stipulations.  Passed unanimously.

Liquor Board:

Recess the Select Board at 7:23 PM to sign the Liquor Board minutes of the February 3, 2010 with no corrections.

Reconvene as the Select Board at 7:24 PM.


J. Haverstock reported that there are legal issues (litigation updates) and Town contractual and personnel issues, thus recommending Executive Session.

P. Flory made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for legal issues where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and contractual issues that may be jeopardized by public disclosure at 7:24 PM.   The motion was unanimously passed.  Rep. Shaw and J. Haverstock were invited to stay for Executive Session.

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Legal, Contractual, and Personnel at 7:24 PM.

Rep. Shaw exited Executive Session at 7:56 PM.

The Select Board came out of executive session at 8:09 PM with no action taken.

Meeting adjourned at 8:10 PM.

The next meeting will be held on March 3, 2010.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman

Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chairman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

Margaret “Peg” Flory, Selectman