Meeting Minutes : Select Board

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present: Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, and Thomas Hooker.

Also present: Bruce Paynter, Linda Weeden, Margaret “Peg” Flory, Tom Carrara, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


The minutes from the September 23, 2009 meeting were reviewed and signed with no corrections.


The orders of $27,100.65 (General Fund) and $9,368.39 were approved and signed following discussion as stated below:

A. Hitchcock inquired about the payment for Furnace Road paving inspection. J. Haverstock explained that this typically occurs and the contractor tests and evaluates the depth and quality of the asphalt being laid down.

A. Hitchcock inquired the “insurance deductible” payment. J. Haverstock explained that this was for a minor “fender bender” that occurred last winter involving Shawn Erickson.

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for safety foot gear. J. Haverstock indicated that this was for purchases for Town employees’ use for safe walking in snow and ice through VLCT.

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for the tables and chairs for the Highway Department. J. Haverstock explained that some chairs which were taken from the basement of the Town Office by the Highway Department had been previously allocated to a resident and had to be returned – necessitating the need to purchase new ones.


J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • The water project contracts were signed on September 24, 2009 and ground was broken on September 30, 2009 at the Kendall Hill Road site.
  • OMYA is hosting an open house on Saturday, October 17, 2009 at its Middlebury quarry.
  • OMYA opened its new Tailing Dewatering Facility on October 1, 2009.
  • Pittsford resident Jackson Whelan has begun work on the web site redesign.
  • In response to a request from a previous meeting, the legal fees billed to date with regard to the Paynter cases is $50,620.12.
  • A volunteer is being sought with regard to the Rutland Telecom fiber optic project. J. Haverstock will fill in on this committee until a volunteer is identified.
  • Construction of two pole barns by the Highway crew at the Transfer Station will begin with the first one this fall. The costs will be minimal due to the use of free poles lumber from trees that were cut on the job. The labor will be provided by the highway crew and the roofing materials, hole digging and rough lumber will be the only costs. T. Hooker inquired where the barns would be constructed. J. Haverstock believes that they will be constructed near the magazine container.
  • Transfer Station permits are available for purchase at the Town Offices. These are required prior to November 1, 2009.
  • The Fire Department Haunted House will be held on Fridays, October 16 and 23; and Saturdays, October 17 and 24. There is a rain date of October 25.
  • There is a fundraiser for the Rutland Regional Medical Center’s Marrow Donor Program. This is “Explore-A-Rig” and will be held on October 10, 2009 at the Police Academy.
  • The Town Offices will be closed on Monday, October 12, 2009 in observance of Columbus Day.
  • J. Gagnon inquired why there is a highway truck parked outside the highway garage. J. Haverstock will research this and report at a future meeting.
  • J. Gagnon suggested that the Select Board should visit the Highway Garage some Saturday to review the recent renovations, and possibly the Kendrick Dam. J. Haverstock will organize this.


Linda Weeden inquired about the legality of taping the meetings prior to the meeting beginning. T. Pelkey indicated that he has spoken with J. Haverstock to research and advise. B. Paynter commented and indicated that the meeting was held in a public place. J. Haverstock indicated that he is researching and has asked B. Paynter to notify attendees of the meeting that when the camera is taping. T. Pelkey agreed to a reasonable agreement along these lines, but stated that he would like a legal opinion. B. Paynter agrees with J. Haverstock’s comments and requests.

T. Carrara inquired how much the renovations at the Highway Garage have cost to date. J. Haverstock reported roughly $22,000 – $23,000. T. Carrara inquired if this includes the garage doors. J. Haverstock indicated that the doors have not been included.

T. Carrara inquired who would be serving as the “Clerk of the Works” with regard to the water project. A. Hitchcock indicated that Mark Youngstrom is the engineer. J. Haverstock reported that Carl Crawford would be on site for a majority of the time and that, within the Town, J. Haverstock and Bruce Babcock will be available. T. Carrara inquired if there was an increase in the cost of the engineers to be on site. A. Haverstock reported that this cost is included in the contract.

B. Paynter commented on the legal fees that were billed to date and the status of the cases. B. Paynter explained his view of the recent hearings before the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

T. Carrara inquired about the swearing in of participants of Zoning Board of Adjustment hearings. T. Pelkey referred this to the Zoning Board members.

T. Carrara inquired whether the Highway crew could build the proposed garage on Plains Road. This matter will be researched when the time comes. A. Hitchcock indicated that there is roughly $26,000 budgeted for this project.


Appointment of Selectman to Fill Vacancy:

J. Haverstock reported that there was one expression of interest in the vacancy left by David Markowski. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to appoint Margaret “Peg” Flory as Selectman. Ms. Flory explained that she has served on the Board in the past and realizes that this is a difficult time for anyone new to take this position. T. Carrara expressed concern about Ms. Flory’s attendance in the past. Ms. Flory indicated that she missed four meetings in the 7 – 8 years that she previously served. Ms. Flory indicated that she had attended some meetings via telephone. Ms. Flory indicated that she was not asked to leave and stepped down voluntarily.

Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0. Ms. Flory will take the Oath of Office from Town Clerk Helen McKinlay.

Discussion of Construction of Town Garage:

J. Haverstock reported that he has spoken with Bruce Babcock regarding the construction ideas for the storage garage. Mr. Babcock indicated that his truck is a diesel and should have heat and lighting so some work can be done within the structure. J. Haverstock indicated that a Select Committee take this project under advisement and meet to discuss this project. T. Pelkey and T. Hooker volunteered to work with J. Haverstock in developing this project.

T. Carrara inquired if the pre-fab garages have been researched. There was discussion concerning this.Discussion of Police Cruisers:

Tabled at this time.


Summary of Recent Work by Water & Sewer Commission:

A. Hitchcock indicated that the water project has begun at the intersection of Route 7 and Kendall Hill Road. The water meter portion of the project has not been finalized. There is a possibility of working on the sewer section on Mechanic Street and Pleasant Street as the road will be dug up for the water project and this would be an opportune time to do the sewer project. There was a meeting with the landowners on Route 7 south, the engineers and Markowski representatives. There were approximately 15 residents present to review the drawings and ask questions of the engineers.

There was a Resolution for the interim financing of the water project, which was read by T. Pelkey and signed. The goal is to allow the Town Treasurer and Town Manager to obtain bond-anticipation financing for the project. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to sign the resolution. J. Haverstock reported that this was a short-term loan. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.

Open Meeting Policy:

T. Pelkey read the Open Meeting Policy with regard to all Boards and Commissions within the Town of Pittsford, as issued by the State of Vermont 1999. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by J. Gagnon to re-affirm the Open Meeting Policy, including the permission to film public portions of meetings of Boards, Commissions and quasi-judicial hearings. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.


None stated at this time.

The Select Board meeting was recessed at 7:13 PM to convene with the purpose of a Dog Hearing. The Board recovened at 8:11 PM.

T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for Legal, Personnel, and Contractual at 8:11 PM. The motion was unanimously passed. J. Haverstock and M. Flory were invited to stay.


In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Legal, Contractual, and Personnel at 8:11 PM.

The Select Board came out of executive session at 8:55PM with no action taken.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM.

The next meeting will be held on October 21, 2009.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman