Meeting Minutes : Select Board

The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present:  Joseph Gagnon, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, and Thomas Hooker.

Also present:  Bruce Paynter, Linda Weeden, Robin Rowe, Tom Macaulay, Tom Carrara, Jeff Jordan, Jason Tabor, Cathy Rider (6:47 PM), Brian Provin (7:03 PM),  John Haverstock and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary


The minutes from the September 2, 2009 meeting were reviewed and signed, with no corrections.


The orders of $98,157.12 (General Fund) and $11,395.69 were approved and signed following discussion as stated below:

A. Hitchcock inquired when the fuel purchases would be consolidated on the report.  J. Haverstock will look into this.

J. Gagnon inquired about the repairs in the amount of $4,500 to truck #5.  J. Haverstock reported that this was for transmission repair and muffler repair.  This truck is 12 years old.  J. Gagnon stated that this is the truck that had the body rebuilt.

J. Gagnon inquired about the payments to BK Services.  J. Haverstock reported that the Recreation Department went out to bid.

A. Hitchcock inquired about the purchase of 5 new pagers for the Fire Department.  T. Hooker indicated that the pagers are replaced at a rate of 5 per fiscal year.

J. Gagnon inquired about the payment for Great Escape tickets in the amount of $4,368.  J. Haverstock reported that these tickets are advance sales through the Recreation Department.


J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • There will be a meeting and contract signing on Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM with regard to the water project.  There will be a meeting of the residents of Route 7 South, Markowski Excavating Representatives, Mark Youngstrom from Otter Creek Engineering, and members of the Water and Sewer Commission on Tuesday, September 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM at the Lothrop Gym.
  • Sullivan & Powers has completed 4 of 5 audit days.  They will be scheduling the final day in the near future.
  • Stanley O”Neil has resigned as the Custodian at the Town Offices.  J. Haverstock thanked him for his service.
  • Pike Industries has paved the Town Office Parking Lot.  This money came from a Federal Grant to improve access to polling places.
  • The Highway Department has received its new utility vehicle from G. Stone Motors.
  • The Select Board vacancy has been advertised.  (This is David Markowski’s position).  One letter of interest/application has been received and the deadline for this is October 7, 2009
  • VLCT reports that this year’s increase in insurance premiums is anticipated to be in the low single digits.  The exact amount will be known in about 6 weeks
  • There will be a staff meeting on Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 9:00 AM and members of the Select Board are invited to attend
  • The motion to dismiss the third law suit regarding the Paynter cases has been granted, however, Mr. Paynter has filed a motion to reconsider and requested a hearing.  There will be updates in the future.


Linda Weeden inquired about the following items:

  • The parking lot was flooded after a heavy rain.  J. Haverstock reported that Bruce Babcock and Shawn Erickson have determined that there is a possible blockage between the parking lot and Plains Road.  This will be repaired by the Highway Department in the future by excavating in the island between the paving lot and the road.
  • Status of the Paynter lawsuits.  J. Haverstock reported that the Town prevailed on the Town Plan adoption suit but that this was appealed by Mr. Paynter; the first Zoning case was decided and Mr. Paynter has appealed; the second Zoning case motion to dismiss is being appealed by Mr. Paynter.  Ms. Weeden expressed concerns of the costs.
  • Street lights on Terounzo Road.  J. Haverstock explained that this is not the responsibility of the Town as it is outside of the Village and has been referred to the neighbors, who may wish to install the light and be personally responsible.
  • The length of the open Select Board member vacancy.  J. Haverstock reported that this seat’s term expires in March, 2010.
  • Ms. Weeden stated that other towns are postponing Timber Sales and inquired if Pittsford will be postponing theirs.  J. Haverstock explained that there are 2 sales and the Chittenden sale must proceed due to an existing agreement with a neighbor who has been given sugaring rights. The Plains Road sale will not be a very lucrative sale in any event.
  • The Vehicle Replacement Fund.  J. Haverstock reported that the auditors have been asked about this and will report back, once their audit is complete.

Bruce Paynter presented a subdivision “precedent” regarding Street Frontage vs. Lot Frontage definitions for members to review.

T. Carrara inquired about the amounts of the Bradley Keith (BK Services) work for the Fire Department.  J. Haverstock explained that this is on a per event basis.  T. Hooker indicated that this is the first time in 28 years that the Fire Department has had to hire someone to haul refuse and that there is not someone within the Fire Department that has time to do this on a volunteer basis.

T.  Carrara inquired about the amount of legal fees paid with regard to the Paynter cases.  J. Haverstock will research this and will report back at the next meeting, as well as meet with Mr. Carrara.

T. Carrara inquired about the status of purchasing another grader.  J. Haverstock reported that Shawn Erickson and the Select Board are waiting for further information before making any decisions.  There was discussion regarding this and Shawn Erickson is in communication with the Town of Killington, who owns the grader.

T. Carrara inquired about the new Highway Department utility vehicle.  J. Haverstock gave details regarding this vehicle.


Discussion of Construction of Regional Fiber-Optic Network :

J. Haverstock has met with Tom Macaulay at a recent meeting of the regional town managers.  Mr. Macaulay presented some information for review by the members of the Select Board with regard to a fiber optic network and being created by the Rutland Redevelopment Authority.  Mr. Macaulay explained the hand-outs in great detail to the members of the Select Board and answered questions pertaining to this project.  The general consensus of the Select Board was to authorize J. Haverstock to sign a letter of interest on behalf of the Town of Pittsford.  The Authority is looking for a delegate, as well as a parcel of Town land to locate a “sub-hub” for this network.

Mr. Macaulay exited at 7:09 PM

Discussion of Shots Fired on Sugar Hollow Road:

Mr. Jordan, a resident of the Sugar Hollow Road was present to explain that he received a letter from J. Haverstock with regard to a complaint that was heard from another resident of the Sugar Hollow Road that shots had been fired.  Mr. Jordan indicated that he has an agreement with neighbors and has not fired any shots or fireworks, therefore, indicated that he is not responsible for the noise complained of.  Mr. Tabor, also a resident in the same area as Mr. Jordan, indicated that he has heard shots, however, they are appearing to be coming from in the wooded areas.  The members of the Select Board stated their appreciation for their remarks.

Mr. Jordan and Mr. Tabor exited at 7:11 PM

Discussion of Construction of Town Garage:

J. Haverstock reported that he has spoken with Bruce Babcock regarding the size of his utility truck.  Mr. Babcock stated that the truck is roughly 30′ long and 8-1/2′ wide (inclusive of the plow).  The 3 bay option was discussed.  There will not be heat or facilities in the building and this is just for cold storage only.  In the event these options are needed at a later time, they will be discussed.

There was discussion that there is plenty of room in the Town Office building basement, in the event that office space is needed for anyone.  The recommendation is to get an estimate on a 3 bay, as well as a 4 bay.  A. Hitchcock indicated that the depth is important and 2 or 3 feet should be added at the end.  T. Pelkey recommended a 32′ X 36′ measurement.

Vault Door Installation:

A. Hitchcock inquired about the time frame for the vault door installation.  J. Haverstock reported that there is an anticipated delivery time of 4 weeks, at which time, the Highway Department employees will assist getting the door into the building, as the delivery will be direct from the manufacturer.  A. Hitchcock indicated that someone from the Historical Society should be consulted before any documents are removed.

Timber Sales:

Information from Eric Hansen was included in the packets for review.  T. Pelkey indicated that the bids should indicate that the Town reserves the right to reject any and all bids.  T. Carrara inquired what was marketable.  A. Hitchcock indicated that Nickwackett is salable.  J. Haverstock indicated that there is 33.7 MBF and 48 cord of firewood on the Nickwackett 2 Blick and 14.7 MBF and 29 cord of firewood at the Plains Road parcel.

Discussion of Potential Speed Limit Changes (Barnard Road and Sugar Hollow Road:

Brian Provin expressed concern about the speed limit on Barnard Road.  J. Haverstock reported that the Town has worked with the Rutland Regional Transportation Council and Planning Commission to conduct studies of the Barnard Road, as well as the Sugar Hollow Road.  The recommendation was to reduce the speed from 35 mph to 25 mph on the Barnard Road, and that the Sugar Hollow Road remain the same.  These recommendations were agreed upon by the Constable, as well as the Highway Foreman.  A. Hitchcock made a motion to reduce the speed limit on the Barnard Road and that the speed limit on the Sugar Hollow Road remain the same, based on the studies that were presented.  Motion seconded by T. Hooker.  T. Carrara inquired about the possibility of widening Barnard Road.  There was discussion regarding this and it was decided that this was not an option.  Motion passed 4 – 0.

Discussion of Stop Sign on Gorham Bridge Road:

J. Haverstock reported that the Proctor Select Board has chosen not to participate in the proposed stop sign plan for the area of Gorham Bridge Road and Elm Street.  Sue Feenick, of the Proctor Select Board, has recommended that a mirror be installed instead.  Shawn Erickson prefers signs but believes a single sign (with no warning in Proctor) is too dangerous.  There was discussion that a speed bump be installed.  J. Haverstock will research this possibility and report back.

Other Old Business:

T. Carrara inquired about  the status of a speeding ticket that was discussed in Executive Session with the Constable.  As this was discussed in Executive Session, there was a short comment that the ticket stands and no details were revealed.


Summary of Recent Work by Water & Sewer Commission:

A. Hitchcock reported that there is still one easement that is in negotiation.  There is a recommendation that the charges to the Railroad for Town cooperation be the same as the charges by the railroad to the Town.  Mike Smith was present at the past meeting and presented drafts for the projects pending at the Wastewater Treatment Facility.  The bid packet is anticipated to go out in about one week, and A. Hitchcock explained the portions to be bid.

Adoption of Budget Preparation Schedule for FY 2011:

A. Hitchcock recommended that guidance be given to the various departments.  J. Haverstock emphasized that there should be level spending.  J. Haverstock reported that the Union contract is due for a 5-year renewal in the next fiscal year.  The members agreed that the schedule was acceptable.

Consideration of Applying for State Grant Funds for Dismantling Kendrick Dam:

J. Haverstock gave a history of this dam that is in need of dismantling.  After discussion, it was decided that J. Haverstock should submit a letter seeking grant funding.

Consideration of Dave and Heather Bowen’s Application for Access/Right of Way Permit:

T. Pelkey indicated that the Highway Foreman has approved the application for Town Highway #22.  Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by A. Hitchcock to approve with conditions that the drive be graded so the water does not run into the Town highway.  Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.

Construction Contracts for the Water Upgrades:

J. Haverstock indicated that the contracts will be signed on Thursday, September 24, 2009 with Markowski Excavating, Otter Creek Engineering, and the Town Manager.  T. Pelkey signed the written authorization for this to occur.


J. Haverstock reported that Lema Carter has submitted a quote from a lease car dealership in New Jersey for a 2009 Dodge Durango.  This item was tabled until the next meeting.

Cathy Rider would like to be on the agenda for the next meeting to discuss bug spraying.  There was discussion concerning the bug spraying.  J. Haverstock will forward a copy of the petition and maybe some folks that signed the initial petition would be interested in serving on a Committee established by Ms. Rider.

T. Carrara inquired why Lema Carter drives the cruiser home every night.  There was discussion concerning this and J. Haverstock will look into this matter.  The Select Board indicated that once the garage was built, the cruisers would be housed in the garage.

J. Haverstock indicated that there will be a Focus Group meeting on September 30, 2009 at 6:30 at the library concerning the Forrest Farm.  T. Hooker indicated that he would be attending as the Fire Chief and not as a Select Board member.  Other members of the Select Board indicated that they would be in attendance.


T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for Legal, Personnel and Contractual matters at 7:50 PM.   The motion was unanimously passed.  J. Haverstock was invited to stay.

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of Legal, Contractual, and Personnel at 7:50 PM.

The Select Board came out of executive session at 8:32 PM with no action taken.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:33 PM.

The next meeting will be held on October 7, 2009.

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman