Water and Sewer Commission Members Present – David Markowski, Chair, Allen Hitchcock, John Lapre, Hope Rantanen, and Helen McKinlay. Others present: John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
David Markowski, Chairman called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.
The minutes of the January 20, 2009 meeting were reviewed and a minor correction noted. The minutes will be signed at the next meeting.
Town Manager’s Report
J. Haverstock reported the following:
- There was a leak discovered at the Wastewater Treatment Facility in the line to the facility. The repair will need minor excavation that can be performed by Bruce Babcock and Joe Skaza.
- Power was turned off by CVPS near the plant for 1/2 hour. The emergency generator came on and there was a pump leak. Jack Shedd and Bob Berardo indicated that there was some chlorine smell in the office and the chemical room. A. Hitchcock inquired if there was an actual leak. J. Haverstock indicated that there was no actual leak.
- The WWTF does plot temperatures, along with rainfall and flows.
- Mark Youngstrom indicated that he is working with Tom Nesbitt from Stantec in the area of Kendall Hill Road to prevent any duplication of efforts.
- There is some communication from the Proctor Selectboard included in the packets concerning water study engineering reports. J. Haverstock has authorized Mark Youngstrom to share information. There was discussion concerning the Proctor water supply system.
- A copy of the water study has been forwarded to Don Nickless from the Planning Commission for inclusion in the Town Plan.
- A. Hitchcock inquired about the funding for the water project. J. Haverstock indicated that Mark Youngstrom could be present at a future meeting for explanations. There was discussion that possibly the March 17, 2009 meeting would be too close to discussions that will be occurring on March 20, 2009 at the State level. Discussion concerning a possible meeting at a sooner date occurred. J. Haverstock will contact Mr. Youngstrom to schedule a meeting on March 10, 2009.
None at this time.
Water Study Status:
A handout was reviewed. Mr. Youngstrom will be asked to explain the funding sources and a public meeting will need to be scheduled. There was discussion regarding potential easements and Rights of Way, which will be reviewed in Executive Session.
Frank Bovey Water Rate Change:
J. Haverstock reported that Mr. Bovey had been billed for water to the house, barn and for a “farm operation”. Currently, Mr. Bovey has only 1 cow and is, in all fairness, not engaged in “farm operations”. Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by H. McKinlay to consolidate the billing to the house and the barn. Passed unanimously.
Discharge Report – January 2009:
There was discussion regarding the numbers that were included on the report.
Status Report on Wastewater Treatment Facility Engineering for Sludge Removal and Chlorine Contact:
The drawings for the WWTF and the photos of the digesters have been reviewed and Mr. Smith is expected to meet with Bob Berardo concerning is information. Mike Smith reported that there is a potential of TV imaging would occur in April or early May. J. Haverstock reported that he would continue requesting information concerning this. Communication will be sent to the public when the smoke testing will occur to prevent any “hysteria” when smoke is being used.
Ventilation and Blower Issues:
J. Haverstock, D. Markowski, Jack Shedd, and Bob Berardo met with Ground-Up Engineering concerning the project. The current bid was reduced to $9,900 and the work may begin soon. D. Markowski reported that the fans deteriorate due to the chemicals and a sealed fan has been ordered to prevent this. The piping also deteriorates so plastic piping has been reviewed for the project.
D. Markowski reported that the louvers in the doors would close automatically to keep the temperatures consistent. D. Markowski also reported that the use of the Chemical Room is scheduled and in the event of an emergency situation, the blowers could be turned on and the doors opened.
Water & Sewer
The fiscal year 2009 budget status report was reviewed. Currently, Pittsford water is at 99% of revenue; Pittsford water is at 53.93% of expenses; Florence water is at 75% of revenue; Florence water is at 60% of expense; the Sewer is at 87% of revenue; the Sewer is at 65% of expenses.
Possible New Employee:
J. Haverstock reported that interviews have been held and the results will be revealed in Executive Session.
J. Haverstock reported that he has been invited to meet with RJ Elrick from the Fire Academy concerning future usage. J. Haverstock will report the results of the meeting.
A motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by H. Rantanen to enter into Executive Session at 7:00 PM for the purpose of Contracts and Personnel. J. Haverstock was invited to stay for Executive Session
There was no action coming out of Executive Session at 7:50 PM.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:50 PM.
There will be a special meeting on March 10, 2009. (Note: Later changed to March 9, 2009). The next regular meeting will be held on March 17, 2009.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
David Markowski, Chair
Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chair