Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

TOWN OF PITTSFORD

WATER AND SEWER COMMISSION

May 13, 2008

 

Water and Sewer Commission Members Present: David Markowski, Hope Rantanen, Allen Hitchcock, John Lapre.  Absent:  Helen McKinlay. Others Present: Kathleen Ramsay, David Rowe (6:35 PM), Tom Carrara (6:40 PM), and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.

David Markowski called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.

 

Minutes

The minutes of the April 22, 2008 meeting was reviewed.  These minutes were signed with no corrections.  A. Hitchcock stated that he appreciates the minutes being accurate and thanked those involved in putting the minutes together in this way. 

 

Town Manager's Report

K. Ramsay distributed a copy of a letter that was received from Tim Raymond regarding the May 1, 2008 Long Range Plan Annual Report Submittal for the Pittsford Water Department.  The letter indicated that the next report is due to the State of Vermont by May 1, 2009.

 

K. Ramsay distributed a copy of a letter that was received from Eric Law in acknowledgement of the Planning Loan Application in the amount of $14,485.  This loan is to cover the costs associated with the preliminary engineering study and the application is still under review. 

 

K. Ramsay distributed copies of the Consumer Confidence Report for 2008.  These will be sent out in June.  K. Ramsay asked that members review these and contact her with any comments or corrections.  There was discussion as to who would receive this information.  K. Ramsay stated that the Consumer Confidence Report will be sent to the "Billing List".  K. Ramsay indicated that there was a violation during the 'Nor'icane in April 2007 and this needed to be reported due to the power outage.  J. Lapre inquired if the perchlorate levels in Florence had been reported.  K. Ramsay stated that the levels were very low and are now non-detectible.  There was discussion regarding this issue and K. Ramsay will look into the levels and include that information.

 

Public Comment

None at this time.

 

WATER

Update on Preliminary Engineering for Water System Upgrade

K. Ramsay reported that Peter DeGraff and Mark Youngstrom were working on this information and would have the information prepared for presentation at the June 10, 2008 meeting.   Pending State approval of the contract, the Water & Sewer Commission will recommend to the Select Board to authorize K. Ramsay to sign the contract with Otter Creek Engineering for the Preliminary Engineering for  the Water System Upgrade.  Currently, Otter Creek Engineering is operating on a "Good Faith Promise" until this contract is approved by the State.

 

Status of Final Design of Route 7 North Water Line Improvements

The status of Final Design of Route 7 North Water Line Improvements was discussed.  J. Lapre indicated that he did not notice much in the plans about the sleeves that had been discussed at a previous meeting.  The sleeves were discussed with regard to their placement.  The placement of the possible sleeves would be south of JR's Eatery (near Hendee Lane) and Pine Woods Road.  The placement in these areas would be so that sewage could be moved under Route 7 from the east side of the road to the west side to be forwarded to the treatment facility.  K. Ramsay indicated that since the plans had been developed that the services have been marked and identified by Bruce Babcock.  The services have been identified on the VTRANS survey and forwarded to Stantec for updating. The survey will be forwarded back to VTRANS with possible approval during the week of May 19, 2008.

 

WASTEWATER TREATMENT

Report Status of Inflow & Infiltration Study

K. Ramsay distributed copies of the Inflow and Infiltration Study Update based on information from project engineer Mike Smith for review.  There was discussion regarding the Maxham Pump Station on Route 7 South.  K. Ramsay will be in contact with Bruce Babcock regarding the Inflow and Infiltration Study reports and discuss the Maxham Pump Station as well as manhole inspections.  A. Hitchcock inquired how much work was done at the Elm Street pump station.  There was discussion regarding this project and what had occurred in the past.  There is possibly an underground spring running in the area of the Elm Street pump station. 

 

K. Ramsay will invite Mike Smith to attend the June 10, 2008 meeting to discuss the inspection reports.  D. Markowski inquired if there would be more reports available for the June 10, 2008 meeting.  K. Ramsay indicated that a good portion of the study should be completed by that time.

 

H. Rantanen inquired if there was an update on the grease build-up that was discovered at the Depot Hill pump station.  K. Ramsay indicated that she was waiting for the written report from M. Smith. 

 

 

Wastewater Discharge Report for April 2008

K. Ramsay distributed the Wastewater Discharge Report for April 2008.  There was  discussion about the April average discharge which was under the permitted amount but January through April the discharges were in excess of the permitted amount.  Currently, there is a possibility that smaller users could be connected to the system.  K. Ramsay reported that after the flow meters were installed, Bob Berardo reported that there were some high flows coming in with an oily sheen from the Route 7 South/Arch Street area.  B. Berardo asked M. Smith to review issue as there seems to be no pattern to the inflow (once was at 7:00 AM and the other time was 11:00 PM).  There was discussion regarding the possible reasons for this flow increase.

 

Review Request for Replacement of Influent Flow Meter

A proposal from Lilly's Instrumentation & Technical Service was received for the replacement of the Influent Flow Meter at the Wastewater Treatment Facility in the amount of $2,200.  There was discussion that the current equipment is not performing adequately.  Members agreed that the replacement may be able to occur in July, which is the beginning of the fiscal year.   

 

Elm Street

There was discussion regarding the Elm Street pavement which has settled where sewer lines and manhole were repaired.  K. Ramsay inquired if the repair would come from the Sewer Fund.  Miner & Son did the original work and there was discussion as to whether this could also be part of the project.  K. Ramsay will research this and follow-up.

 

WATER & SEWER

Review Proposed Correspondence re:  Rates for FY09

K. Ramsay distributed copies of the proposed correspondence regarding the water and sewer rate increases.  This information will be included in the newsletter.  A. Hitchcock inquired about the status of the meter installation as compared to the users.  K. Ramsay indicated that she believes that this is about 25%, however, she will research and report back.  K. Ramsay stated that she would like to contact Brandon and Middlebury regarding their metering programs.  D. Markowski inquired if there were any filtering systems from the reservoir discharge to the lines.  K. Ramsay will inquire with Bruce Babcock regarding this. 

 

Review Implementation of Quarterly Utility Billing

K. Ramsay explained the quarterly utility billing.  The water meters will be read in the Fall and the Spring; the bills would be sent twice a year and the bills would each include two payment stubs for the users to make the quarterly payments. 

 

Other Business

D. Rowe inquired about the status of the Right of Way access on Route 7 South.  K. Ramsay stated that she would obtain an update and report back.

 

D. Markowski suggested that the Water & Sewer Commission not meet on May 27, 2008 and would meet on June 10, 2008.

 

Allen Hitchcock made a motion to go into Executive Session for Contracts at 7:15 pm.  Hope Rantanen seconded the motion.  The motion was passed unanimously.  K. Ramsay was asked to stay.

 

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

In accordance with 1VSA 312(b) where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Commission unanimously agreed to go into Executive Session for Contracts at 7:15 PM.  The Commission came out of Executive Session at 7:28 PM.

 

No action was taken.  The meeting was adjourned at 7:28 PM.

The next meeting will be held on June 10, 2008.

 

Respectfully Submitted 

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

                                                           

Adjournment

David Markowski, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice Chair

Hope Rantanen

Helen McKinlay

John Lapre



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page