Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

Town of Pittsford

TOWN OF PITTSFORD

SELECT BOARD MEETING

March 19, 2008

 

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chair. Select board members present:  Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Joseph Gagnon, Allen Hitchcock, Thomas Hooker, and David Markowski.  Also present:  Robert Webster, David Rowe, Michael Leehy, Rob Howland, Brad King, Clarence Greeno, Lee Kahrs, Tom Carrara, MaryAnn Goulette, Robert Gibbs, John Reed, Sean Barrows, Robert Young, Kathleen Ramsay, and Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary.

 

MINUTES

The Select Board minutes from the March 5, 2008 were reviewed.  A. Hitchcock clarified that the Pittsford Preservation Committee was not trying to purchase the Forrest property on its own - it is working to form a consortium to buy the property.  The minutes were signed.  The minutes of the March 13, 2008 meeting were reviewed and signed with no corrections.

 

ORDERS

The orders of March 19, 2008 were reviewed, discussed and approved in the amount of $41,873.93.  D. Markowski asked if Shawn Erickson could report on the use of Clearlane  road deicer at a meeting at the end of the season.  K. Ramsay stated that she has met with Mr. Erickson and there is less corrosion of the vehicles.  Clearlane is easier to calibrate while spreading and adheres to the road better than regular road salt.  D. Markowski stated that the future use of this product should be reviewed in the fall due to the cost.  J. Gagnon inquired the expense of $8100 for lockers.  T. Hooker stated that this was a Fire Department expense and they were donated to the town.  The orders were signed with this clarification. 

TOWN MANAGER'S REPORT

K. Ramsay reported on the following:

 

  • Craig Bowman will be joining the Town as a Special Police Officer.  Currently, Mr. Bowman is in field training with Constable Warfle and should be on patrol staring the first week of April. 

  • There have been at least 4 calls since Town Meeting regarding the blocked culvert on Route 7 South.  K. Ramsay stated that she has contacted the State and that this is private property and the Town has no real jurisdiction.  A. Hitchcock inquired if there is a health concern.  K. Ramsay stated that she has discussed the need to address health concerns as a possible approach to addressing this issue with Attorney Peter Cady.  T. Hooker suggested sending a letter to the owners stating the concerns and asking that this issue is resolved immediately.  K. Ramsay will send this letter.

  •  The State Legislature is debating a cut in highway funding of 18%.  Currently, the Town receives roughly $120,000 meaning a reduction of $21,600.  K. Ramsay stated that she will contact the Town's Representatives expressing a concern of the reduction.

  • The Town of West Rutland is interested in purchasing the 1960 ladder truck from the Fire Department for $5,000. 

  • Letter was signed to Matt Harvey thanking him for attending the Vermont League of Cities and Towns Moderators workshop.

 

PUBLIC COMMENT

None at this time.

 

WIND POWER

CVPS President & CEO Robert Young shared insights about the potential role of renewable energy in the context of the Vermont power supply with the Board.  Mr. Young said that with recent advances in wind power energy generation, this renewable energy source has become economically competitive with other sources of energy, and noted that CVPS and other electric utilities are under  a mandate from the State to buy energy from renewable sources. 

 

Economic and environmental benefits must be weighed when considering impact of wind power on a community.  The environmental considerations include both the value of displacing energy from carbon-emitting sources with renewable energy sources and aesthetic concerns. 

 

Mr. Young answered many questions from the general public and heard and understood their concerns and comments.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Kendall Hill Road Bridge:  K. Ramsay stated that she has met with DuBois and King engineers and has submitted a letter to the Rutland Regional Planning Commission.  There is a lengthy list for funds through the RRPC that it was suggested to seek a grant to repave and repair the current road.  D. Markowski explained the possible process and that this is a temporary fix.  K. Ramsay stated that the Grant Application should be available for the April 2, 2008 meeting.  T. Carrara inquired if OMYA has been contacted to assist with partial funding as discussed at Town Meeting.  K. Ramsay stated that funding this project needs to be discussed between the State, Omya and the Town. 

    

Listers' Office Update:  K. Ramsay stated that the current Board of Listers' (Tom Bushey, Sr. and Barbara Pierce) feel that they are in good shape for lodging the Grand List on June 4 without any outside assistance.  The Listers' will continue to review the need for further assistance and advise.

  

Work Camp Site:  This was discussed and decided to keep an open dialogue with the State pending the outcome of Legislative action regarding the siting a State work camp as other locations (St. Johnsbury and Windsor) are under consideration by the Legislature.

 

Other Old Business:  Eric Hanson, Town Forester, has been in contact with K. Ramsay inquiring about establishing a cemetery behind the Municipal Office.  A. Hitchcock recommended that the Cemetery Association should be contacted regarding this.

 

Clarence Greeno spoke to the Select Board stating that he wrote a letter of interest in the Planning Commission back in December and has not heard from any one other than K. Ramsay stating that his letter has been received.  Mr. Greeno expressed his interest in being appointed to the Planning Commission and felt if there were any conflicts of interest that he would recuse himself.  K. Ramsay explained the process of the Planning Commission projects that are in the works.  There was discussion of the recommendations of the Planning Commission.

 

NEW BUSINESS

Spring Postings:   The Spring Weight limits have been posted by Shawn Erickson.  There was discussion regarding the posting of the Furnace Road.  K. Ramsay stated that this posting is applicable to ALL trucks and there must be an insurance certificate on file with the Town Office.

 

Fire Warden's Key Persons:  Motion by D. Markowski and seconded by J. Gagnon to appoint Helen McKinlay and Linwood Bovey to the position of Fire Warden's Key Persons.

 

Metal Detection:  A Release of Liability & Authorization for the Use of Town Property for Metal Detection Activities was reviewed.  Motion by A. Hitchcock and seconded by T. Hooker to approve this Release.  Passed unanimously.

 

FY '08 Budget:  K. Ramsay presented a worksheet and explained the current status of the FY '08 budget.

 

Fire Truck:  Motion by D. Markowski and seconded by T. Hooker to enter into a Purchase and Sales agreement with the Town of West Rutland for the 1960 ladder truck (75' ladder).  The money was received by donation to the West Rutland Fire Department.  Passed unanimously.

 

The Selectboard recessed to act upon Liquor Board issues at 8:00 PM.

 

The Selectboard reconvened at 8:02 PM.

 

OTHER BUSINESS:

T. Carrara inquired the status of the Water & Sewer Commission. D. Markowski stated  that the Water & Sewer Commission interviewed 2 candidates and will meet on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 and announce a possible decision.  The candidates were Dufresne Associates and Otter Creek Engineering. 

 

T. Carrara inquired the status of legislation to decrease pollutants discharged to Lake Champlain by wastewater facilities.  K. Ramsay explained the status.

 

D. Rowe inquired the status of the inflow and infiltration study.  D. Markowski stated that the equipment has been ordered and K. Ramsay stated that Mike Smith has been working closely with Bruce Babcock to set-up flow monitors and other equipment.

 

The Highway Annual Financial Plan for the District Transportation Office was signed.

Allen Hitchcock made a motion to go into Executive Session for Contracts and Personnel at 8:07PM.  D. Markowski seconded the motion.  The motion was passed unanimously.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

In accordance with 1VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for Real Estate Contracts and Personnel discussions at 8:07 PM.  K. Ramsay was asked to remain.

The Board came out of Executive Session at 8:50PM.  No action was taken.

With no other business, the meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM. 

Respectfully Submitted,

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

                                                                                             

Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

David Markowski, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

 



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page