Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.


Town of Pittsford Select Board Meeting

November 15, 2006

Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Chairman opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m. Select Board members present were: Thomas "Hank" Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock, Joseph Gagnon, and Thomas Hooker. David Markowski was absent. Also present were Michael Balch, Linda Drummond, and Bruce Babcock.

Nancy Gaudreau and Barbara Pierce arrived at 6:40 PM.

MINUTES

The Select Board minutes of November 1, 2006 were reviewed, discussed, and approved.

ORDERS

The orders of November 15, 2006 were reviewed, discussed and approved in the amount of $51,376.12. M. Balch asked permission to discontinue a second set of Vermont statute updates that have been purchased over a number of years to have in the conference room. On this order was the statute update set renewal of $132.00 that has already been received. One set is sent free to the Town Clerk’s office. Also the statutes are available on line. The Board’s consensus was to discontinue the second set of statute updates.

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

Mike Balch reported on the following:

Nine new water meters have been installed to date with two more scheduled. B. Babcock is on vacation for 2 weeks and will continue the installations when he returns.

Dorothy Parker has sent a letter expressing that she will not be running for the Auditor position in the March 2007 election. Discussion was held and no action was taken at this time.

As of 11/13/2006, the delinquency for 2006/2007 property taxes was $227,878.

Rutland City is considering allowing snowmobilers in their watershed area. The Snomads are requesting a letter of support that the snowmobilers have gone through the Pittsford waterhead area for years without any problems. The consensus of the Board was for M. Balch to write a letter of support.

M. Balch has informed the Water/Sewer Board applicants of the delay in appointment by letter sent November 3, 2006.

M. Balch checked with the VLCT Attorney on the ability to combine water and sewer boards and minutes. The reply was that the two boards can merge and have one set of minutes. Actually there would be three boards: Water Board, Sewer Board, and Sewage Disposal Board. Three separate authorizations with three boards with one set of minutes. The only issue would be if there was a hearing that was related to Water Board or Sewer Board then there would have to be two separate meetings.

Determine the arm mower contract cost for the last mowing season. The Town paid K. A. Bagley, Inc. a total of $11,095 for the summer of 2006 mowing season.

M. Balch checked with Tom Yenerel and also VTrans about sidewalk funding. The only State funding that is presently available appears to be AOT Enhancement Grants. T. Yenerel shared that the cost per square foot of the required quality sidewalk is $7.25; and that the minimum width is 5 feet. This information was requested after the discussion at the November 1, 2006 Board meeting in regards to the Arch Street sidewalk in need of repairs. Discussion was held in regards to the option of having the Pittsford Highway Dept. work on the sidewalk. The Highway Dept. is budgeted to do maintenance work not project work at this time.

PUBLIC COMMENT

None

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Water Board at 6:47PM.

The Select Board reconvened 7:05PM.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Sewer Board 7:06 PM.

The Select Board reconvened at 7:07PM.

OLD BUSINESS

Listers regarding budget

H. Pelkey addressed Listers Nancy Gaudreau and Barbara Pierce in regards to the Listers’ budget worksheet presented to the Board for review. H. Pelkey asked how many total properties there were in Town. The Listers replied that there are approximately 1500 properties in Town. The worksheet listed an anticipated 500 properties for reappraisal with 700 hours of listers’ time. This time is not included in the grievances for next year which is a separate line item. N. Gaudreau stated that the anticipated 500 properties would also include any building permits. H. Pelkey also noted that there is 200 hours listed under Miscellaneous time. The Listers replied that everytime a person walks into the Lister’s Office with questions it takes their time to get the information to help them. N. Gaudreau and B. Pierce need to have more information regarding the figures given on the Listers’ Budget Worksheet. The information is needed before the draft budget can be completed for the Public Draft Budget meeting scheduled for November 29, 2006. H. Pelkey’s next question was is the reappraisal complete. N. Gaudreau answered that the reappraisal is complete for Cross Country. The Listers are reviewing properties done by Cross Country. $12,000 is listed as a line item for reappraisals. This money comes from the State and is supposed to be saved towards the next Town wide reappraisal fund. The Listers anticipate using that money to tweak the reappraisal that Cross Country just finished to help prolong the need for another reappraisal. H. Pelkey asked where will the money come from for the next reappraisal if the money is spent yearly for updates. The increases need to be explained, especially since the reappraisal has been completed by Cross Country and the Listers’ proposed budget has increases instead of decreases. The State approved the reappraisal that Cross Country completed for the Town. It was stated by the Listers at a previous Board meeting that the Listers’ time and expenses would decrease.

The Select Board feels that they are not getting complete and accurate answers to their questions and a special Select Board meeting needs to be scheduled for November 20 or 21, 2006 to review the Listers’ proposed budget with all the Listers. N. Gaudreau and B. Pierce will check with J. Eugair to find out which night all the Listers could be present to meet with the Board. M. Balch stated that the Board has given him instructions for a flat budget from last year and the Listers’ proposed budget is up 20%. These proposed budget questions need to be reviewed collectively by the Select Board and the Listers next week in order to pull the whole budget together. In the payroll model under GASB34, the payroll is broken down by department with a 3% increase. The Listers propose a $1.00/hr increase.

B. Pierce asked about the maps from Cartographic. M. Balch replied that J. Eugair is up to date with the progress. Steve Schild has reviewed the maps. There are a lot of errors on the Cartographic maps, and the errors are a combination of changes, errors in the data that they were given, errors in their work, and changes that were made. The next map is now due and Cartographic has agreed to put in all the corrections and will give the Town a mark-up copy before they give the Town the final copy. S. Schild said the digital mapping is excellent. A letter will be written to close out the old contract with the understanding that the year of updates that are already due will be completed. Once the agreement is in place, M. Balch will have three parties signing it: Cartographics, the Listers, and M. Balch. Everyone will receive a signed copy.

N. Gaudreau and B. Pierce departed at 7:30PM.

Review Second Draft of Budget

M. Balch stated that there are not many changes except the $6,000 additional for the water meter installations.

M. Balch asked if the Board intended the flat budget as the same amount of dollars or the same mill rate on the same assessment. One mill rate would be a 1 % growth or approximately $16,000 increase in revenue for the budget. No taxpayers’ amount for the Town portion would increase on their tax bill. M. Balch will pull the budget together using the Listers’ last years’ numbers as a placeholder for now.

Highway budget includes the roadside arm mowing. As a reminder for next year, the Board would like to review the bids before the purchase order is made out for the work to be done.

Discussion was held in regards to the multi-use ice skating rink and basketball court that is in the capital budget for the Recreation Dept.

The Board signed the agreement for the Fields of Otter Valley for $10,000 from the Burditt Fund which will go the Pittsford School Board for signatures.

NEW BUSINESS

T. Hooker received the approval of $3241.18 for the total Wildland Fire Gear Grant as a 50/50 match.

H. Pelkey made a motion to go into Executive Session for Personnel at 7:47PM. A. Hitchcock seconded the motion. The motion was passed unanimously.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

In accordance with 1VSA 312(b) where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to go into Executive Session for Personnel at 7:47PM. M. Balch was asked to stay. The Board came out of Executive Session at 8:05 PM.

No action was taken.

Without any further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:06PM.

Respectfully submitted:

 

Linda Drummond, Recording Clerk

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

David Markowski, Selectman- ABSENT

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

 



Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page