Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

Town of Pittsford Select Board Meeting

June 20, 2006

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m.  Select Board members present were:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Joseph Gagnon, Allen Hitchcock, David Markowski, and Thomas Hooker.  Also present were Michael Balch, Linda Drummond, Don Nickless, and Tom Carrara.

 

MINUTES   

The Amended Select Board minutes of May 17, 2006 were reviewed, discussed, and approved.

The Select Board minutes of June 7, 2006 were reviewed, discussed, and needs changing.   

 

ORDERS

The orders of June 20, 2006 were reviewed, discussed and approved.

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

Mike Balch reported on the following:

Documentation was received from the Agency of Transportation for the $150,000 grant for the Class II Roadway Program.  The grant is for the West Creek Road project.

M. Balch sent a letter to the Water Supply Division asking them to extend the Town’s deadline for the work that needs to be done to the pipes in Route 7.  The letter requested that the deadline be linked to the deadline to the work being done on Route 7.

The sewer inspections for the wastewater surcharge fee are nearly finished except for about 35 customers.  Fifteen inspections have been scheduled during the next week with 20 customers yet to schedule appointments.

Portalet prices have been going up and M. Balch has quotes from other sources.   He will compare the prices and services.

M. Balch reminded the Board that the meeting for July 5, 2006 has been cancelled.

CLD will provide a letter by June 30, 2006 to report their recommendations for the sewer issue in regards to the Blittersdorf property.

Shawn Erickson and M. Balch have inspected the Depot Hill Road bridge abutments for erosion.

S. Erickson will check with the State regarding permit issues and schedule the repairs.

The new cash management system will start this week at the Transfer Station.  Also five new signs are ordered and will be posted at the Transfer Station for customer direction.  A concrete slab is being poured for the recyclable container and the banking will be repaired for safety.

S. Erickson inspected the sidewalks in the village.  He recommends a shim and overlay from Keith’s store to Kamuda’s Market.  He also inspected Arch St. and Elm St. sidewalks.  Those sidewalks will need to be dug out and repaved with drainage  S. Erickson is working on the estimates.

M. Balch has reviewed the VLCT Legislative Wrap-Up and has prepared a summary of important issues which are significant to the Town per the Board’s request.

An ad was placed in the paper for the vacancy for the Planning Board.

Copies of the CLD infrastructure report will be sent to Peg Flory and the USDA by June 23, 2006.   A. Hitchcock commented on the CLD report.  Missing from the report is the mention of several residents who are without main sewer lines.  These residents are across Route 7 in the Barnard Funeral Home area.  Discussion was held in regards to having a plan to expand the sewer main connections and what area would benefit from expansion for the most customers.  The consensus was that the South end of the village would be a good expansion area.

PUBLIC COMMENT

T. Carrara asked how many connections to the sewer main will be available after the work is done on Elm St.  A. Hitchcock responded that it will depend on how successful the control of the infiltration is after the repairs are complete on Elm Street.  Depot Hill infiltration will have to be addressed also.  Capacity will be better after repairs are completed in these two areas.

T. Carrara asked how much of the reappraisal fees have been paid.  About 80 to 90 % of the fees have been paid.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Sewer Board at 6:55 PM.  

The Select Board reconvened at 6:57 PM.

OLD BUSINESS

Consider report from Don Nickless re:  OMYA

The Select Board asked Don Nickless to attend the June 20th Select Board meeting to clarify several issues noted in the Omya Study Oversight Committee minutes which caused some concerns among the Board members.  Based on the Select Board’s reading of the Oversight Committee’s minutes and Don’s responses to the Board’s questions M. Balch was instructed to write to the Agency of Natural Resources and the members of the Legislature to express the Select Board’s concerns with both the process adopted to address Omya’s request for a permit and the approach taken by the committee established to oversee the management of the studies and reports required by the above legislation.

The Board instructed him to include three topics:  a) that the Board is exceedingly concerned that the Legislature adopted a bill that could have a very far reaching impact on the Town of Pittsford without consultation with the Town’s Select Board.  This lack of consultation is particularly concerning since the Legislature took a great deal of input from a number of groups with far less legitimate claims for involvement; b) the Select Board applauds the Agency of Natural Resources’ and the State’s zealous protection of the Vermont environment, the Board is however concerned that a Vermont Statute which defines a permitting process for Omya that is different from the Process followed by any other applicant in the State.  If the State of Vermont is to adopt a standard that every product produced in Vermont must establish affirmative scientific evidence that the processes used to produce it does not create a public health hazard, then that standard must be applied to all other Vermont industries equally; and c) the Board is concerned that the wording of the legislation has led to several expansions of the scope of the studies after the Committee had adopted a scope.  The study now includes both dust and noise issues which seem to have no relationship to any legitimate concerns relating to Omya’s application.  The Board also instructed M. Balch to express its concern that the five (5) member committee originally established to oversee the empirical studies, is now granting full membership to any attendee, even to the extent that casual attendees are permitted to vote on matters before the committee.  Several Board members also expressed their belief that the oversight committee’s minutes show a significant loss of focus on the purpose and the schedule implicit in the legislation.

Consider Draft Employee Discipline Procedures

M. Balch prepared a draft memo defining the employee discipline process which is currently in place with the exception of timing of the contact point with the Board.  When M. Balch becomes aware of a possible or alleged substantial misconduct by an employee the process described would be followed.  Discussion was held in regards to the timing by which the Select Board should be informed during the process. M. Balch will redraft the procedures for review at the next meeting. 

Consider Jennie Parker appointment

Due to a misunderstanding, there was not an opening in the Recreation Committee which Jennie Parker was appointed to at the June 7, 2006 meeting.  The Board directed M. Balch to contact J. Parker to offer her a choice of an Alternate position on the Recreation Committee or apply for another position on the Planning Commission.

A memo to the Select Board from Randy Adams, Recreation Director, was on behalf of the Pittsford Day Celebration Committee.  The Committee for the 2006 events is requesting Town support the same as in 2005 in two ways: First, the Pittsford Day Committee requests the Town to appoint them as a Town committee so the event will fall under the Town insurance.  Secondly, they request the Town to provide Police services from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM on the day of the event which is July 2, 2006.  D. Markowski made a motion to appoint the Pittsford Day Committee as a Town committee and to provide police coverage as requested for the event on July 2, 2006. T. Hooker seconded the motion.  The motion was unanimously approved.

NEW BUSINESS

Consider/approve Sullivan, Powers & Co. Town Audit

The scope of services and proposal from Sullivan, Powers & Co. for the Town audit for the year ending June 30, 2006 also includes GASB 34.   A. Hitchcock made a motion to accept Sullivan, Powers & Co. for the town audit.  D. Markowski seconded the motion.  The motion was passed unanimously. 

Consider Physicals for the CDL drivers

M. Balch proposed that the Town pay the deductible for the Town CDL truck drivers to have physicals.  The consensus of the Board is to pay the deductible for the CDL physicals.

H. Pelkey presented two letters in regards to the fund raising program from The Fields of Otter Valley and the Trustees of Public Funds of Brandon.  Both letters address raising funds for the new, as well as improved fields at Otter Valley Union High School.  The Trustees of Public Funds would match a contribution from the Pittsford Burditt Fund up to $7,500 and are requesting a response by June 30, 2006.  The Board expressed that more information was needed and a meeting with Richard White, Co-chairperson of Fields of Otter Valley, the School Board, and the Select Board to discuss the possibility of a contribution from the Burditt Fund was needed before any decisions.  H. Pelkey will contact the above for a meeting.

The Board recessed at 8:05 PM to convene as the Liquor Board.

The Board reconvened at 8:06 PM.

No further new business.

H. Pelkey made a motion to go into Executive Session for personnel at 8:15 PM.  D. Markowski  seconded the motion. The motion was passed unanimously.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

In accordance with 1VSA 312(b) where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to go into executive session for personnel at 8:15 PM. All others were excused except Michael Balch was asked to stay.   The Board came out of executive session at 8:40 PM.

No action was taken.

Without any further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:41 PM.

 

Respectfully submitted:

 Linda Drummond, Recording Clerk

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair

Dave Markowski, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

 

 

 


 


Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page