Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

Town of Pittsford

Select Board Meeting March 15, 2006

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m.  Select Board members present were:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Joseph Gagnon, Allen Hitchcock, Dave Markowski, and Thomas Hooker.  Also present were Linda Drummond and Mary & R. Todd Grant.  Mrs. Ezraty arrived at 6:35PM. John Eugair arrived at 6:40 PM. Tom Carrara arrived at 6:43 PM. 

The Select Board minutes of March 1, 2006 were reviewed and discussed. A Hitchcock has changes he will review with L. Drummond.

The Select Board minutes of March 8, 2006 were reviewed and discussed.  A. Hitchcock has changes he will review with L. Drummond.

ORDERS

The orders of March 15, 2006 were reviewed, discussed and approved. 

A. Hitchcock had a question about the CLD payment. D. Markowski believes it is for the Blittersdorf utilities assessment on Route 7.  H. Pelkey located the bill for the Project Town of Pittsford, Vermont Utilities Assessment Route 7 for two invoices $975.15 and $177.36= $ll52.51. This is a partial payment on the whole project.

D. Markowski would like to see a comparison on the Clearlane salt for the last two years.  Last year was the first year to use the Clearlane which was an experiment. He would like a cost comparison of just using salt. 

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

There was no manager’s report this evening.

PUBLIC COMMENT

There were no public comments this evening.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Sewer Board at 6:35 PM.  The Select Board reconvened at 6:40 PM. 

OLD BUSINESS

Consider Grants Dog Complaint

The Board will go into Executive Session to deliberate at the end of the meeting.

No other old business.

NEW BUSINESS

Lister John Eugair reported that Cross Country Appraisal Group will be reviewing the complete town in the next 2 weeks to determine land values.  They will be reviewing each home on the outside.  Letters will be sent to everyone in the town by the middle of April for an informal review of the property values along with dates for review meeting(s). John asked the Board if the meeting(s) could be held at Lothrop School since it is expected that there would be a large turnout for the meeting(s).  It has been 16 years since the last reappraisal. Cross Country Appraisal Group will have 5 or 10 people to go over the reappraisal and talk with people about their property values.   L. Drummond will check with Lothrop School as to available dates for the meeting(s).

J. Eugair spoke before to the Board about putting the listing cards on the internet through VISION.   The cost is $2200 per year to do this project. Funds were not budgeted to do this project this year but he has included funds for this project in next year’s budget.  It would be a valuable service for people to go on the internet to see the values of their properties as well as other properties in town.

J. Eugair asked the Board to come to the Listers office for a demonstration to see what information would be available.   Over 100 towns in 4 or 5 states provide this service.  Newport, Vermont would be a town they could review.  VISION appraisal provides the service and Newport was one of their first in Vermont.   There has been concern about confidential information but VISION has had no problems.    Personal addresses, phone numbers, or e-mail addresses can be excluded unless a person allows it.   The same information that is on the listing card, would be the information put on the internet.  People can decline being on the internet.

Every year the listers change values for about 200 to 300 properties.  This would create quick access for people to review the value changes. J. Gagnon wondered if this would save any money for the listers.  J. Eugair replied that the service will save time dealing with the public in both the listers’ office and town clerks’ office.  May not save money but it would save time. Towns that have this service rave about its convenience.  J Eugair will give the Board a demonstration on this service in the lister’s office at A. Hitchcock and the Board’s request.  A. Hitchcock would like the public to be informed of the possibility of this service in the next newsletter.   J. Eugair stated that all property owners will be receiving a letter with their property values and the information about the service could be included.

T. Carrara asked if this information will raise our property values because out of state persons would have easier access to Pittsford’s property values than ever before. He continued by stating that if our property taxes keep on rising, our next generation will not be able to afford to live in Vermont.

H.Pelkey stated the Board will need more discussion on the issue before a vote on the project.

D. Markowski reported that in New Hampshire town reappraisals include enough to cover the equivalent of sales tax and state income tax. He gave an example of a 2400 sq.ft. house on 4 acres of land with no town water or sewer hookup and located on a county road on which the property taxes were $8250 per year.  Schools are very expensive.

J. Eugair reported that the listers are waiting on ½ dozen questions from the OMYA plant.  At OMYA the Co-generation facility was done, the West end had a few questions to finish, the East had 5 questions, and there were 4 things to go back and measure. Very close to completion.  A. Gagnon asked if he was satisfied with the schedule. J. Eugair stated that there have been a few delays with responses to questions.  The VISION appraisers have 3 days of reviewing OMYA’s value and have 2 more days with one to be scheduled to finalize OMYA’s valuation.   The Board and J. Eugair will schedule a time for a demonstration on the VISION project.  J. Eugair left at 7:05PM.

A. Hitchcock stated the VLCT bill before the legislature would provide more state support on the pilot program. He suggested sending a letter from the Board to the people who are reviewing this bill in support of this program. The consensus of the Board was to have M. Balch send a letter in support of the bill. 

A. Hitchcock discussed Green Up Day. The Pittsford Preservation Corporation is meeting March 16, 2006 and he is proposing to the organization that they organize and operate the Green Up Day this year with volunteers to cover every road in town. A. Hitchcock would like approval of the Board to go ahead with this proposal.  The Board agrees that this is a good idea. The cost of the trash bags will be covered by the Town and the State.  A. Hitchcock will go ahead with the proposal and report back so information can be sent out in the next newsletter.

No further new business.  The Board recessed at 7:07 PM to convene as the Liquor Board.

The Board reconvened at 7:10PM.  H. Pelkey made a motion for the Board to go into Executive Session to continue deliberation on the dog complaint and legal issues.  T. Hooker seconded the motion.  The motion was passed unanimously.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

In accordance with 1VSA 312(b) where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to go into executive session for Legal deliberation on the dog complaint at 7:10 PM.  All others were excused.  The Board came out of executive session at 7:50 PM.

Unanimous consent of the Board that no action be taken regarding the dog complaint.

Without any further business,

Respectfully submitted:

Linda Drummond, Recording Clerk

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair  

Dave Markowski, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Thomas Hooker, Selectman

 


 


Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page