Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

Town of Pittsford

Select Board Meeting

March 1, 2006

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m.  Select Board members present were:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Joseph Gagnon, Allen Hitchcock, and Dave Markowski.  Also present were Michael Balch, and Linda Drummond. Tom Carrara arrived at 6:55 p.m.

MINUTES

The Select Board minutes of February 1, 2006 were reviewed and discussed and approved.

The Select Board minutes of February 15, 2006 were reviewed and discussed and approved.

 

ORDERS

 

The orders of March 1, 2006 were reviewed, discussed and approved. 

J. Gagnon has questions about the $62500 appropriation to the Fire Dept. It was noted that was for the truck replacement fund. The Recreation Department Kick- boxing program we collect the funds for the classes.

The funds cover the cost of the instructor.

A. Hitchcock asked if all appropriations from last year were paid.  One appropriation was an adjustment from the auditors year end entries.

A. Hitchcock noted $500 Rutland Regional Planning & $500 to REDC with no representatives.

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT 

M. Balch distributed copies of the barking dog complaint from R. Todd and Mary Grant. M. Balch  stated that the Select Board needs to have a hearing according to the Town of Pittsford Animal Ordinance.  It was agreed to have a hearing.  M. Warfle will do an investigation. M. Balch has list of alleged barking incidents from June 2005 to February 2006.  March 8, 2006 at 6:30 PM there will be the dog hearing followed by a Select Board organizational meeting.

M. Balch has reviewed the Town Report and an error was found that $4,000 was added for planning which did get into the tax rate and warning but not in the total. The warning amount is the correct amount on page 18 and 19.  The amount that will be voted on is correct in the article.

M Balch stated that there were some numbers missing but are not available until we are farther along in the GASB 34 process.

M. Balch stated that OMYA requested a letter requesting renewal for a 5-year lease for a fire truck for rental of $1.   

D. Markowski made a motion to renew the lease.  The motion was seconded by A. Hitchcock.  The motion was passed unanimously.

M. Balch stated that the Grant Application was sent to the Vermont Agency of Transportation for the West Creek Road project-$312,495 to the complete job.  Estimate included ledge removal of 800 cubic yards.  A copy is available for review. 

The Dept. of Environmental Conservation sent a letter stating that Pittsford’s uncommitted reserve wastewater capacity was 7,107 gpd as of 12/31/05.

A. Hitchcock asked what the outcome was on the inquiry from Lyons on Furnace Road regarding Rowes gravel pit activity.  A. Brissette, Zoning Administrator, looked into the matter with the state and received a letter stating that Rowes were exempt because of agriculture hauling and we can not regulate them.

PUBLIC COMMENT

There were no public comments this evening.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Sewer Board at 6:50 p.m.  The Select Board reconvened at 7:05 p.m.           

OLD BUSINESS

J. Gagnon stated he couldn’t justify the $5,000 estimate for a thumb for the backhoe which was not included in the capital budget.  The backhoe is five years old and should be kept five to ten additional years depending on use.  J. Gagnon stated maybe we should look into building a thumb.

A. Hitchcock stated the request for the thumb should go through the capital expense budget.

H. Pelkey stated that there was not a majority vote on the issue to purchase a thumb for the backhoe at this time.

D. Markowski and A. Hitchcock stated that the report from Eric Hansen, Forester at the Agency of Natural Resources gave an extensive review of the Pittsford Town Forest.  He included observations and recommendations for managing the forest.  He highlighted water quality, timber, recreation, and wildlife with suggestions on possible management strategies.  Discussion was held about the report with questions regarding marketable timber, principle protection of the water shed, multiple uses including recreation with concerns of access through residents’ property to reach the forest, and property set aside for expansion of the cemetery.  H. Pelkey suggested that the Board meet with Eric Hansen in April to go over the plan in more detail.

NEW BUSINESS

M. Balch asked the board to consider the Vermont Local Roads Public Works Mutual Aid Proposal.  M. Balch stated the proposal was a great way for towns to help each other out. In the past, it has helped with W. Rutland and Brandon. The board agreed it was a good thing.

A. Hitchcock stated that there is a vacancy since Al Westin resigned from Emergency Management.  The board needs to advertise the vacancy.  A. Hitchcock asked M. Balch to fill the vacancy on an interim basis until a replacement is appointed.  A suggestion was made to contact the Pittsford fire department for interested persons to fill the position.

A. Hitchcock suggested a town newsletter be printed once a month and suggested the possibility of  Janet Mondlak to put it together.  Pittsford organizations and volunteers would be asked to submit articles to keep the residents more informed of the various activities in Pittsford.  Townspeople do not seem well informed about the town governance and town policies.  D. Markowski asked how many inquiries were made each month on the Pittsford website.  M. Balch stated that there were 1200 unique hits a month on the website.

J. Gagnon suggested posting Pittsford news on the Channel 15 community information calendar. 

T. Carrara asked what was posted on the site and M. Balch replied the Pittsford news.  It costs $50 a month to maintain and it is updated weekly.

A. Hitchcock asked if the Select Board would be meeting with the Water Board about Route 7 South.  The issue with the Rowes is the Water Board’s decision to make.  D. Markowski thinks there should be a meeting.  H. Pelkey stated that the meeting should be only with the Water Board.  H. Pelkey stated that the Select Board had never scheduled meetings with Water Board regarding the Rowe issue. A. Hitchcock would like Select Board to meet with Water Board and maybe need legal counsel.   J. Gagnon attended the Water Board meeting last night.  J. Gagnon said the Rowes had different information than what was presented to the Select Board 2/1/06. The State refused to answer the question of how to resolve the water issue.  At the meeting, J. Gagnon stated the Water Board expressed interest in meeting with Select Board.    Select Board has no say on the Rowe issue only the Water Board.  T. Carrara says there’s a roadblock with the Rowes water issue. M. Balch will work with H. Pelkey to determine the date of the meeting.

Tom Carrara questioned why so much salt was put down in the school yard during the last storm.

He observed 4 lanes of salt in the school yard. M. Balch stated he was aware of the situation and will take appropriate action. 

H. Pelkey suggested that the board meet prior to the Town Meeting for a short meeting to go over any questions. 

With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted:    

 

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair  

Dave Markowski, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

 


 


Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page