Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

Town of Pittsford
 

Select Board Minutes

January 4, 2006 

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m.  Select Board members present were:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Allen Hitchcock Joseph Gagnon, and Larry Pomainville (arrived at 6:52).  Dave Markowski was absent.  Also present were Michael Balch, Denise Mahoney, John Eugair and Tom Carrara.

 

MINUTES

The Select Board minutes of December 7, 2005 were reviewed, discussed and approved.  The Select Board minutes of December 21, 2005 were reviewed and discussed.

The orders of January 4, 2006 for $21,688.74 were reviewed, discussed and approved.   

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

§         A suggested criteria for the Town’s gravel roads brought up at the September 21st meeting was enclosed with the December 7th Board packets for consideration at the February 1st meeting.

§         The Blitterdorf’s have no objection to the Town extending the sewer line across their property and CLD will provide a letter report with suggestions.

§         Sewer Plant Project Costs – Legal fees total $12,642 with $5,503 in FY 2006.  The total engineering cost is $35,864 with $19,961 in FY 2006.

§         Camera service has been requested for the infiltration problem on Elm Street.  Markowski’s has a list of vendors providing this service.

§         M. Balch spoke with J. O’Gorman who related that Graham & Graham never did an inventory though he had provided them with a partial one to address GASB34.

§         M. Balch and B. Babcock will meet with Nate Fice to explore a timber management program for all Town properties.

§         A letter has been sent to Dave Lathrop at VTrans to inspect/repair the railroad crossings on Whipple Hollow and Fire Hill Roads.

§         A letter has been written to AOT Structures Division requesting that Kendall Hill Bridge be re-inspected due to recent deterioration.

§         R. Adams is investigating several options for the possibility of a town skating rink.

§         M. Balch has not yet been able to reach the contact at the Rescue Squad regarding the Water/Sewer, Police and Recreation garage location yet

§         A copy of the agreement with D. Wheeler is in the Board packets.  M. Balch noted that she is also a public official and this agreement has nothing to do with those duties and she is not being paid for the same hours.  She has resigned from being a Town employee and this contract with her is under the Select Board’s control.

§         The Audit Management letter comments involving the three different pension programs may have different treatments.  M. Balch will provide a separate confidential report on this matter to the Board.

§         M. Balch noted a letter had been received from the Police Academy stating that they would like to put up a plaque honoring the VT Sanitarium.  The State will pay for it but they would like someone from the Town involved.  H. Pelkey will talk with A. Pelkey to find someone who would like to be involved.  M. Balch will send H. Pelkey the documentation.

§         M. Balch stated the Town has received a 5 year renewal of the Sewer Discharge Permit.

§         M. Balch said they have received over a dozen applicants for the assistant position.  H. Pelkey agreed to help M. Balch with the interview process.

§         M. Balch noted that A. Hitchcock has worked many hours on the sewer infiltration problem.  There was a brief discussion on people who do camera work.

§         M. Balch noted that the location of traffic tickets issued will be available at the next meeting.

§         M. Balch distributed the proposed budget that included the additional $4,000 for the Planning Commission work on the Town Plan.  He noted that the first column had some minor changes due to changes in the audit but they were very minor.  He noted this budget won’t be enacted until the meeting it will be posted at.  There was a brief discussion about related GASB34 issues and a schedule was given.

PUBLIC COMMENT

 There were no public comments this evening.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Sewer Board at 6:45 p.m.  The Select Board reconvened at 6:51 p.m.

OLD BUSINESS

Re-Assessment Status Report from Listers

M. Balch noted that the Town received a 21.05% dispersion report.  J. Eugair reported that the State had calculated our CLA would be at 75% if we were not going through the reappraisal.  As of last week 99% of the homes had been visited and measured.  Letters are going out tomorrow to the approximately 50+ owners whose home interiors have not yet been inspected.  The listers have scheduled four days to complete these.  Remaining individual problems are in process of resolution.  These seem to be largely misunderstandings. Two bids were received for the OMYA appraisal.  They were each approximately $35,000.  After discussion with OMYA and agreement to use the replacement costs less depreciation method of appraisal the Listers made a decision to conduct the OMYA appraisal themselves with the help of a consultant from Vision.  Most of the non-industrial OMYA property was appraised earlier.  H. Pelkey asked if the appraisal they are doing will meet statutory requirements.  J. Eugair stated they would all requirements.  H. Pelkey asked how the Listers would explain to the public that an outside appraiser was not used for the OMYA appraisal.  J. Eugair noted that the Select Board had previously approved a week of professional appraisal training for the Listers and that the consultant they are using is a commercial/industrial appraiser consultant.  J. Eugair noted that OMYA is the only industrial site being appraised and the Listers objective is to be fair to all property owners.  It was noted that OMYA pays 30% of Pittsford total taxes and 42% of the Town’s taxes.  The Select Board wants to ensure that the valuation of all Pittsford properties including OMYA is fair and equitable.  The Board expressed concern that the Listers had decided not to have OMYA professionally appraised.  There was a brief discussion of those businesses that are valued under cash flows.  L. Pomainville said that he doesn’t understand the depreciation.  There was brief discussion about depreciation and how it relates to this issue.  A. Hitchcock asked if the Listers have information as to the number of homes connected to the sewer.  J. Eugair stated yes it’s all there but will need work on how to get to that information.  He said the Listers will probably be done with the OMYA appraisal by March 5th and they will give the Board status reports.  There was a brief discussion about the error rate of appraisals done and J. Eugair noted that they are going to look over all of them but so far there are very few major problems.

Consider Year-To-Date Expenditures

M. Balch distributed year to date budget and expenditure information.  He noted we are half way through the year and that basically everything is in pretty good shape.  The General Fund is at 42.97% at the half year mark.  He is doing work plans with department heads and they should be done soon.  L. Pomainville asked if there are time clocks at the Sewer Plant yet and said that they should keep close track with the time spent at OVUHS.  M. Balch said not yet, but soon, and that they will be using our regular time sheets so it is built right into the system.

NEW BUSINESS

There was no new business for discussion this evening.

OLD BUSINESS

The Select Board signed the Disposal of Solid Waste Ordinance and the amended Sewer Ordinance as well as the amended contract with Casella and the RCSWD, all of which had been approved at the December 21, 2006 meeting.

With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted:

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair  

Dave Markowski, Selectman - ABSENT

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Larry Pomainville, Selectman


 


Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page