Town of Pittsford, Vermont

Website Archive

Click here to return to site.

 

Town of Pittsford
 

Select Board Minutes

November 2, 2005

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey opened the meeting at 6:30 p.m.  Select Board members present were:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Joseph Gagnon, Larry Pomainville, Allen Hitchcock, and Dave Markowski.  Also present were Michael Balch, Helen McKinlay, and John Eugair.  Jean Harvie arrived at 6:40.

The Select Board minutes of October 19, 2005 were reviewed and discussed.  The invoice for truck springs is for a different truck than the springs replaced last year.  A. Hitchcock requested the influent data from the main sewer plant to accompany the data received regarding the two pump stations.  Page two of the minutes will be changed to reflect the cost for a burning permit is expected to be $5.00 but will be priced to cover the costs associated with issuing the burning permits.

ORDERS

The orders of November 2, 2005 were reviewed, discussed and approved. 

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

M. Balch distributed copies of the draft audit received from Sullivan and Powers.  The draft audit is not a public document and has been marked confidential.  M. Balch noted the numbers look right but he hasn’t yet reviewed the foot notes.

A letter from ANR was distributed to the Board.  M. Balch is looking into this matter.  Procedures have been in place for as long as Simon’s has operated the plant.   Procedures were not met in the two instances referenced.  M. Balch will clarify the situation with a letter to contact M. Balch and B. Babcock immediately for any future incidents.

M. Balch was made aware of a change with the prescription coverage portion of our health insurance plan today.  At the time of negotiating the contract with the union we had been notified the plan of coverage for prescriptions in our current coverage was set to expire January 1, 2006.  VLCT has since changed their mind and let people with this coverage in their contracts to continue to use the current prescription plan.  The new plan in our contract  will expire at the end of next year.

Depot Hill Bridge project is being worked on.

Maclure Library has sent a letter requesting an increase in this year’s budget.  The cost of living request is larger than the amount given to Town employees.  The proposed increase would set precedent and an increase would not be inappropriate to consider for other groups receiving Town funding.  The Board discussed the library request and based on estimated budget figures and an effort to level fund felt the increase would not be possible.  M. Balch will send a letter to Maclure Library.

Rutland West will have a report for review at the next meeting.

VELCO report was distributed.  The overall affect on property tax is estimated at $300.

J. Carroll proposed sewer ordinance changes will be available at the November 16th meeting.

M. Balch discussed with the Highway Department the possibility of doing repairs such as replacement of springs in house.  After reviewing the aggressive work plan along with getting trucks ready for plowing the general feeling is there is not enough time for additional projects. 

Regarding over loading of the trucks as discussed at the last meeting, Shawn was already aware of the situation and spoke with the vendor and the drivers.

M. Balch discussed with the Highway Department the proposal of keeping a parts inventory at the garage.

Westside NAPA is often used for better pricing and convenience as some of the members Highway Department drive pass it on their way to and from work.  We will make an effort to use delivery service more often.

B. Sird to look into the Chittenden land survey. 

M. Balch noted the Listers are present this evening to give a status report on the reappraisal.

M. Balch contacted Kelly Kindsten regarding the DeGraaf insurance claim.  There was no record with VLCT of the claim and they felt there would have been unusual circumstances before the Town would be liable.  L. Pomainville noted the insurance carrier at the time of the claim had been the Clint Thomas Agency.

M. Balch noted the State approval of Bill Bowman as Asst. Fire Warden had been received.

Beth Saradarian was invited to attend the meeting this evening.  Due to family business B. Saradarian has withdrawn her name as time doesn’t allow her to serve right now.  The Planning Commission vacancy will be advertised and request letters of interest.

M. Balch has been in contact with Fred Duplessie to invite him to attend a Board meeting to review the recent audit findings.  F. Duplessie will attend the December 7th meeting.

The loader tire that had been left outside the Town Garage was for repair service.  The tire was leaking around the bead.  The spare tire is currently on the loader. 

PUBLIC COMMENT

There were no public comments this evening.

The Select Board recessed as the Select Board and convened as the Sewer Board at 7:05 p.m.  The Select Board reconvened at 7:07 p.m.

Receive re-assessment status report from Listers

J. Eugair stated that as of November 1st the reappraisal was 93% complete.  51 % of the property data has been entered into the data base.  Four people are entering data.  The Listers inadvertently missed one map (Map 26) to print cards of 55 parcels.  The reappraisal has not done on the 55 properties because they didn’t have cards.  108 parcels are left to have the measurements done.  The only bad news to report is the State 411 numbers were used to determine the number of properties for the reappraisal contract.  All tax exempt properties were omitted.  This will increase the number of required inspections for an additional $3,600.   Initial figures on properties and sales analysis may be able to be moved up before the original April time frame.  To date only one complaint has been received regarding the reappraisers.  The State has notified the Town it has accepted the reappraisal plan and we are in compliance.  The Listers are very pleased with the Vision computer system.  The Listers are scheduled to start inspections of the completed reappraisals next week.  The conversion of the original listers cards are being reviewed for errors.  This project is 85% completed.  The new tax maps from Cartographic are expected for proofing by December 1st.  The Listers will verify each map and every parcel.  The Listers were asked to define the methods used to appraise empty mobile homes and storage facilities.  The typical definition is if the mobile home has no power, water or sewer on site it is considered as storage.  The Listers expressed concern for these issues to be addressed within the new Town Plan and Zoning.  Restrictions within the Zoning Ordinance would give the Listers better guidelines.  Permit time frames with specific start and finish dates of permitted items would be very helpful.  The Listers noted there are permits still open from 1983.  This is very time consuming and requires yearly follow up by the Listers office.  The Listers noted they will be requesting funds for a web host to allow the Lister cards to be viewed on line.  The proposed on line information would include a sketch, picture, construction details and values of each property.  Business equipment would not be available to the public.  Privacy laws were discussed.  More information will follow at a later date on this subject. 

Consider adoption of the revised Pittsford Zoning Regulations

The Board discussed the adoption process for the revised Zoning Regulations.  A few minor corrections will be held until after the new Town Plan is in place.  At that time the Zoning Regulation will be reviewed and amended.  A running file will be maintained with corrections, additions and items of concern to be addressed by the Planning Commission and Zoning Board during the next revision process.  The documents are working documents that will continually be updated and change.  Enforcement is a problem for future consideration and requires clear requirements.  A. Hitchcock made a motion to adopt the revised zoning regulations as presented.  D. Markowski seconded the motion.  The motion passed with 4 in favor.  L. Pomainville abstained from the vote. 

Consider VELCO report concerning their proposed ANR mitigation plan.

The VELCO purchase of the Pomainville land parcel was discussed for the property tax effect on the Town of Pittsford.  VELCO stated that ANR may take over the Pomainville parcel of land in the future.  The change of use is to provide land for mitigation due to a State requirement.  VELCO has been mandated by their permit to provide this mitigation land.  The proposed use of one or two large parcels rather than several small properties in several towns will cover their requirement and make management easier.  The impact tax wise is minimal at this point.  The Town will have the largest wildlife management area in the State.  Potential future advantages from having this block of land will be considered in the new Town Plan. 

NEW BUSINESS

Consider purchase of plow for loader

M. Balch asked the Board to consider a bid for a quick release loader plow and broom.  The plow would be used for heavy snow storms instead of the one ton truck.  The plow on the loader would be great for both heavy snows and clearing of short streets and intersections within the Village.  The Board discussed the excellent job done in the past with the equipment we have.  The need for a sixth plow was discussed.  The Board discussed the labor, equipment maintenance and salt expenses associated with snow removal at Lothrop School.   D. Markowski made a motion to purchase the Everest plow for the loader at a delivered price of $9,215 from Howard Fairfield.  L. Pomainville seconded the motion.  The motion passed 3 in favor: D. Markowski, H. Pelkey and L. Pomainville.  The motion had two no votes; A. Hitchcock and J. Gagnon. 

Consider setting a date for a public presentation of the proposed FY 2007 budget

M. Balch stated the draft budget is balanced and has an increase of approximately 2%.  A  public hearing will be warned in the newspaper and on the website for December 7, 2005.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

A motion was made by H. Pelkey, seconded by D. Markowski, to enter Executive Session for the purposes of discussing Personnel.  In accordance with 1VSA 312(b) where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to go into Executive Session for Personnel.  M. Balch was invited to stay.  All others were excused.  The Board came out of Executive Session at 8:42 p.m.  No action was taken.

With no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted:

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chair

Allen Hitchcock, Vice-Chair  

Dave Markowski, Selectman

W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

Larry Pomainville, Selectman                       


 


Back to Town of Pittsford Home Page