Meeting Minutes : Water & Sewer Commission – December 19, 2017

Water and Sewer Commission Members Present – Dave Pearson, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Ernie Clerihew, Clarence Greeno and Helen McKinlay.  Others present:  John Haverstock and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

Dave Pearson, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.

 

Adoption of Agenda

J. Haverstock stated that there was a possible need for Executive Session to discuss a delinquent utility bill.

D. Pearson stated that there was a need to amend the agenda to add the resignation of a Water and Sewer Commission member.

Motion by C. Greeno and seconded by T. Pelkey to adopt the agenda as amended.

Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

 

Minutes

The minutes from the October 17, 2017 meeting were signed, with no changes.

 

Town Manager’s Report

J. Haverstock reported the following:

  • The shelter for the tractor is in place and is being used to keep the tractor out of the elements.
  • There was a sewer line back-up on Route 7 in the vicinity of Sticks & Stones (near Kamuda’s corner). Markowski was on site and replaced the pipe.

 

Public Comment

None presented at this time.

 

Water

Water System Mapping Project:
J. Haverstock reported that John Kiernan and Shawn Hendee will be completing the curb stop mapping pilot project in the near future.  The projected cost for the complete curb stop project will then be presented.

 

Update on Doors for Springboxes:
J. Haverstock reported that the contractor has visited the area again and has ordered the necessary materials for a projected spring time installation.

 

Update on Revisions to Operations and Maintenance Manual:
J. Haverstock reported that Robert Clark from Otter Creek Engineering is working on the project after meeting with Bruce Babcock and Shawn Hendee.

 

Sewer

Wastewater Treatment Facility Mapping Project Update:
J. Haverstock reported that the project is about half complete.  The contractor submitted an update via e-mail, which was included in the packets for review.  The maps that were borrowed for the project by the contractor have been returned.

 

Update on State’s Response to Request to Increase Flow Capacity Figure:
J. Haverstock reported that Mark Youngstrom was very surprised that the proposed increase was not granted.  Brooks Newbry, Mark Youngstrom, Shawn Hendee and John Haverstock travelled to Montpelier and explained the Aeromod system to State officials and stated that the system was unique in New England.  Additional information will be exchanged.

 

Review Qualifications for Engineering Firms Seeking to Work on Pump Station:
J. Haverstock explained that Otter Creek Engineering, DuBois & King and Aldridge & Elliott have submitted their qualifications for the Depot Hill pump station consolidation project.  The submissions still need to be evaluated; interviews and discussions need to occur before the contract can be awarded.  The Town Manager and Shawn Hendee will be sitting on the committee for these evaluations and discussions.  Chairman Pearson and Commission member Pelkey have also volunteered to serve on the committee.

 

Update on VOSHA Inspection:
J. Haverstock reported that he travelled to Montpelier with Union Representative Chad Eugair to discuss the VOSHA inspections and violation fines at the Water Department.  These violations included a bench grinder work rest and clutter in the storage area.  The violations were negotiated from $1,200 each to $600 (bench grinder) and $400 (clutter).  The clutter was dropped from a “serious” offense to an “other than serious.”

 

Discussion of Delinquent Utility Accounts:
This topic was deferred to Executive Session.

 

Other

Discuss the Resignation of a Water & Sewer Commission:
Chairman Pearson notified the Water & Sewer Commission that he will be relocating to Hinesburg and would be resigning from the Commission effective March 21, 2018.

 

Executive Session:
The Water & Sewer Commission entered Executive Session at 6:48 PM to discuss delinquent utility accounts.

The Water & Sewer Commission exited Executive Session at 6:55 PM, with no action taken.

 

Adjournment:
The Commission adjourned at 6:55 PM.

 

The next regular meeting will be held on January 16, 2018.

 

Respectfully Submitted

 

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              _________________________________

David Pearson, Chairman

                                                                        __________________________________

Clarence Greeno, Vice Chairman

__________________________________

Thomas “Hank” Pelkey

__________________________________

Ernie Clerihew

__________________________________

Helen McKinlay