The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Vice Chair, Jane Cornell, W. Joseph Gagnon, and David Trombley. Also present: Hillary Soloman, John Haverstock, Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
J. Haverstock stated that there was a need for Executive Session for legal (sidewalk grant) and Contractual (Police Department). D. Trombley stated that he would like to discuss Personnel (citizens’ concerns). Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to enter into Executive Session to discuss legal, contractual and personnel matters. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
T. Pelkey indicated that there were no agenda amendments. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to adopt the agenda as presented. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the October 4, 2017 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount $170,717.31 and $11,525.23 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:
D. Trombley inquired if the format would be the new format. J. Haverstock reported that this was the format that he was given from the Town Clerk’s office.
D. Trombley inquired the amount of the bond payment. J. Haverstock explained that this was a single payment for three separate bonds.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- The paving on Stevens Road and Plains Road has been completed by Wilk Paving, below budget.
- VT Rail finished the inspection of the rail bridge improvement project. The Town Manager participated in the inspection and discussion.
- VTrans will be present at the November 1 meeting to present their changes to the Route 7 and Route 3 bridge project.
- C & C Fireworks has requested that any further hearings be held after November 8, as Mr. Greeno, Sr. will be out of town.
- The Town Manager and the Select Board Chairman attended the October 5 meeting of the Trustees of Public Funds to discuss the State sidewalk grant.
- The Haunted House event will occur on October 20, 21, 27 and 28.
- Budget season is quickly approaching and the Department Heads have been asked to work on their presentations. Some requests that have been received to date include the First Response requesting an increase from $20,000 to $25,000 and Rutland ARC is requesting an increase from $400 to $1400. The Select Board will be discussing increases in appropriations at a future meeting.
- There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony at the VT Fire Academy for the new Burn Building on October 30 at 10:30 AM. The members of the Select Board are invited to attend.
- Mr. Congdon from the Chittenden Select Board reports that the road work in the area of the Hitchcock Road intersection with Stoney Hill and West Roads will be completed on October 19.
- The Traffic Counter Data on Old Hubbardton Road from September 1 – 22 is included in tonight’s packet of materials.
- Dollar General has submitted a new permit application to the Town. Information will be forwarded to the Select Board in the near future regarding the next steps in the process. T. Pelkey stated that the only thing that the Select Board can review is the road access.
- The Rec Department has 3 open seats for the NYC trip on October 21. Anyone interested should contact Randy Adams.
D. Trombley inquired about the letter that was written to Shawn Erickson regarding road line striping. J. Haverstock explained that the State stripes Class 2 roads after resurfacing.
D. Trombley inquired about the claim copies that were included in the packets for review. J. Haverstock explained that these were injury claims over several years that were used in the Workman’s Compensation calculations.
Hillary Soloman from the Poultney Mettawee Conservation District was present to discuss the Storm Water Master Plan. Ms. Soloman presented and discussed a map that showed Florence as hosting the headwaters of the Castleton River and explained four sites that could be improved to assist with better handling storm water. These areas include sediment in the stream bed; a berm that was noted near wetlands; a road project on Allen Mills Road; and livestock that has eaten vegetation around a stream. More information on this project will be forwarded to the Town Manager for review.
T. Hooker would like to get community members involved to form a committee to “Be Proud of Your Town” and do some decorating for various times of the year like the neighboring towns.
Discuss Preparations for Veterans’ Day Ceremony:
J. Haverstock reported that the speakers have committed to their part in the ceremony, which will be held on November 11 at 11:00 AM at the Municipal Offices.
Review Resignation of Pittsford’s Representative to Rutland County Solid Waste District:
J. Haverstock reported that Baird Morgan has resigned as the Town’s representative to the Rutland County Solid Waste District. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to accept Mr. Morgan’s resignation and instruct the Town Manager to write a letter thanking Mr. Morgan for his service. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Consider Paying Off Police Cruiser Lease:
J. Haverstock reported that the cruiser replacement fund had insufficient funds to purchase the new cruiser, so the Town’s Select Board opted to lease the cruiser. However, the auditors have explained that there are other Town funds available to “loan” to the Police Department to pay off this lease and save approximately $1500. The Select Board agreed unanimously to pay off the cruiser lease using other Town funds.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel, legal and contractual where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel legal and contractual at 7:00PM. Town Manager Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:12 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:12 PM.
The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on November 1, 2017.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman