Meeting Minutes : Water and Sewer Commission

Water and Sewer Commission Members Present – Dave Pearson, Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Ernie Clerihew, and Helen McKinlay.  ABSENT:  Clarence Greeno.  Others present:  Shawn Hendee, Mark Youngstrom (6:40 PM), John Haverstock and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

Dave Pearson, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM.


Adoption of Agenda:

J. Haverstock stated that there was no need for Executive Session.

J. Haverstock stated that there was no need to amend the agenda.

Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by H. McKinlay to adopt the agenda, as presented.

Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.



The minutes from the September 19, 2017 meeting were signed, with no changes.


Town Managers Report: 

J. Haverstock reported the following:

  • The blowers have arrived for the Wastewater Treatment Facility with one already installed and the second one to be installed in the near future.
  • An “unidentified” white fluid recently entered the Wastewater Treatment Facility’s influent.  Shawn Hendee stated that the liquid appears to be at a low ph.  Aeromod was contacted and recommended that a letter be sent to the customers.  A draft letter was included in the packets for review.  The members of the Water and Sewer Commission agreed to send the letter to the customers.  S. Hendee stated that the dump was determined to be approximately 5 – 10 gallons of material, with another discharge about a week later that has caused a foam/scum development.  This foam/scum is being monitored to be sure the digestion process is not affected.


Public Comment:

None presented at this time.



Water System Mapping Project:
J. Haverstock reported that John Kiernan and Shawn Hendee have determined that many curb stops have already been mapped.  The remaining curb stop mapping cost will be evaluated after a pilot project is done.


Update on Doors for Springboxes:
J. Haverstock reported that the State was notified of the Town’s plans to move forward with the project and it indicated that no permits are required.  The contractor is proceeding and will be in communication with Bruce Babcock and Shawn Hendee to coordinate.  The project may not happen this year due to the timing.


Update on Revisions to Operations and Maintenance Manual:
J. Haverstock reported that Robert Clark from Otter Creek Engineering is working on the O & M manual for the Water Department.  There will be an update at a future Water & Sewer Commission meeting.


Consider Disposition of Former Fire District Assets (Insurance Coverage, Sale, etc):
J. Haverstock stated that the Annual Insurance Coverage Sheets were received showing a value of $165,000 of various components of Fire District No. 1 assets that are not being used.  The Water & Sewer Commission agreed to remove the assets from the insurance coverage and assess whether any of them can be sold.



Wastewater Treatment Facility Mapping Project Update:
J. Haverstock reported that the engineers were in town 6 – 8 weeks ago and there has been no response following this visit.  Shawn Hendee has contacted the engineers as the materials that were involved have not been returned.  There will be updates at future Water and Sewer Commission meetings.


Discuss Replacement and Consolidation of Depot Hill Road Pump Stations:
M. Youngstrom stated that the “upper” pump station needs work and the “lower” pump station experiences very little flow.  S. Hendee stated that in the last 5 years the “upper” pump has had to have the pump and impellers replaced and the “lower” has needed to have the pump replaced and the electronics are old.  Both pump stations have needed to have starters replaced.

M. Youngstrom explained that the “state of the art” pump station is now concrete and the piping is stainless steel.  J. Haverstock inquired if there was an infiltration issue at the Depot Hill sites.  S. Hendee stated that it was not like the Elm Street infiltration.

M. Youngstrom stated that there are upfront engineering loans at 0% for 5 years.  The Wastewater bonds were 2% for 20 years at a fixed rate.  The funding availability is unpredictable, however, there is usually some forgiveness.  M. Youngstrom recommended completing the Planning Loan application so design funding, etc. was committed for the December – February timeframe and the project could be presented to the voters for their approval with construction next year or the year after.

J. Haverstock inquired if there were any State requirements for selecting an engineer.  M. Youngstrom stated that an RFQ (request for qualifications) would need to be solicited from engineering firms.

M Youngstrom recommended that the discussion of this project not be at Town Meeting. Rather it should involve a totally separate meeting. J. Haverstock asked M. Youngstrom to calculate an increase in the sewer rates in the event that voters approve the proposed financing.  D. Pearson stated that some towns subsidize sewer operations from their General Operating budgets.   T. Pelkey explained that this is how the hydrant funds are obtained.  M. Youngstrom stated that this is a good way to gather revenue for the budget.

M. Youngstrom stated that he would forward the RFQ guidelines.

Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by E. Clerihew to proceed with the application process.  Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.


Discuss State’s Response to Request to Increase Flow Capacity Figure:
M. Youngstrom completed the study, forwarded to Brooks Newbry and S. Hendee for review.  The study was forwarded to the State for modest increase (from 85,000 to 100,000 gallons per day).  The request has been denied. M. Youngstronn stated that folks that had reviewed these requests in the past are now retired.  M. Youngstrom stated that he has been explaining that Pittsford is unique and is asking that the request to be reviewed again.  More information will be forwarded to the Water and Sewer Commission at future meetings.


Water & Sewer:

Consider Purchase of Tractor Garage:
J. Haverstock reported that the original quote was $3645; other alternatives were explored and S. Hendee located a garage for about $2600, uninstalled.  J. Haverstock inquired about the longevity of the garage and S. Hendee stated that he had one of these at his house for 6 years before the fabric started showing signs of wear.  S. Hendee explained that his father-in-law is a representative for T & T Carports.  However Shawn is willing to shop around for other alternatives.

Motion by E. Clerihew and seconded by T. Pelkey to purchase the proposed Ultra Duty carport with a 25 ½ oz cover, uninstalled, for $2599.97.  Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.



None presented at this time.


Executive Session:

None necessary at this time.



The Commission adjourned at 7:24 PM.


The next regular meeting will be held on November 21, 2017.


Respectfully Submitted



Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary



David Pearson, Chairman


Clarence Greeno, Vice Chairman


Thomas “Hank” Pelkey


Ernie Clerihew


Helen McKinlay