Meeting Minutes : Select Board

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.

Select Board members present:  Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Vice Chair, Jane Cornell, W. Joseph Gagnon, and David Trombley.    Also present:  Chad Eugair, Mike Warfle, Charles Greeno, Charles Greeno, Jr., Jeff Berquist, Bob Harnish, John Haverstock, Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.

K. Giard indicated that she would like to address the Select Board in Executive Session for a personnel issue involving the Transfer Station.  J. Haverstock stated that he would like to address the Select Board in Executive Session for a personnel issue involving the Police Department.  Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to enter into Executive Session for personnel. Motion passed unanimously 5– 0.

T. Pelkey indicated that there were no agenda amendments.  Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to adopt the agenda as presented.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

 

MINUTES

J. Haverstock noted that he had received an email from Rula Moradi objecting to the draft minutes.  T. Pelkey overruled the objection, noting that the minutes are not intended to be a full transcript.  The Select Board minutes from the September 20, 2017 meeting were signed, with no corrections.  The Liquor Board minutes from the September 20, 2017 meeting were signed with no corrections.

 

ORDERS

The orders in the amount $26,599.48 and $13,460.10 (Payroll) were approved, with the following discussion:

J. Gagnon inquired about the expense labelled “Amusement Park Close-Out”.  J. Haverstock explained that the Recreation Department offers tickets to various amusement parks as a convenience to the residents and at the end of the summer, it returns unused tickets and money collected.

 

TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT

J. Haverstock reported on the following:

  • There were 6 properties that were resolved through means of full payment or payment agreements. There were 4 delinquent properties that were referred to Atty. Kupferer for the next steps of the tax Sale process.
  • The paving patching at the West Creek Road culvert project installation sites occurred on September 26 and 27.
  • Paving occurred on Plains Road on October 2 and 3 with work beginning on the Stevens Road on October 4.  Wilk will return to complete the job as soon as they are able to locate traffic control flaggers.
  • The Staff Appreciation Picnic will occur on Friday, October 6.  Members of the Select Board and the Water & Sewer Commission and their spouses are invited to attend.
  • The Notice of the proposed land swap between the Town and the School District will appear in the Rutland Herald on October 5.  The closing will occur in approximately 30 days.
  • The Haunted House will be held on October 21, 22, 27 and 28.
  • The Planning Commission will host a Public Hearing on the Town Plan on October 19 at 6:00 PM at the Lothrop School Cafeteria.
  • The 2018 – 2019 budget season is fast approaching.  The department heads will be asked for their recommendations and the first draft will be presented to the Select Board in early November.
  • Many of the Municipal Office staff will be out of the office on October 5 to attend the Town Fair, sponsored by the VLCT.
  • The Municipal Office and related services will be closed on Monday, October 9 in observance of Columbus Day.

 

PUBLIC COMMENT

None presented at this time.

 

OLD BUSINESS

Discussion of Village Sidewalk & Curbing Grant Application and Award:
J. Haverstock reported that the Town has received a letter stating that it had been awarded a $100,000 grant toward a $200,000 sidewalk/curbing project along the western side of Route 7 from the corner of Mechanic Street southward to the guardrail.  This project is anticipated to be a “band-aid” until the Route 7 upgrade.  The Trustees of Public Funds will be meeting to discuss the potential of the Burditt Fund availability, since the project would provide a safer route for school children commuting to school.

Discussion of Salt & Sand Shed Grant Application and Award:
J. Haverstock reported that the Town has applied for grant funding for 80% of the project.  A letter of award for $173,000 has been received.    There is a Project Commitment Form that needs signing.

T. Hooker inquired about the covering material. C. Eugair stated that it would be fabric over a frame.  D. Trombley inquired about the floor and footing material/specs.  C. Eugair stated that the floor would be pavement.  T. Hooker inquired about the height of the building.  J. Haverstock stated that the measurements would be 60’ X 140’ with 8’ high concrete walls.  D. Trombley inquired about the location of the structure.  C. Eugair explained that the structure would be beyond the site of the former Recycling Center at the Transfer Station.

Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the funding for this project.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

 

NEW BUSINESS

Discuss Preparations for Veterans Day Ceremony:
J. Haverstock reported that the Veteran’s Day Ceremony will be on November 11 at the Municipal Office at 11:00 AM.  Keith Arlund will be the keynote speaker; the priest from St. Alphonsus Church will participate and the hope is that Bob Berardo will assist with some musical pieces.

Consider Request for Extension of Fireworks Sales Permit:
J. Haverstock explained that the current permit expires on October 31.  C. Greeno, Jr. stated that this was a decent year and he is hoping to renew the permit and expand the parking lot and reinvest in the property.  The last 3 years they have only sold to patrons 21 and older, kept paperwork and paid taxes.  The landowner is happy and they would like to seek an open-ended permit.

T. Hooker explained that there were 4 legal permits issued this year and many more complaints than 4 were received.  M. Warfle stated that there were complaints reported this past weekend.  C. Greeno stated that he has spoken with Rep. Shaw to discuss the position of the State.  C. Greeno, Jr. stated that if there is a complaint received concerning one of their customers, they will deny future sales.  C. Greeno stated that they sold to only 13 Pittsford residents, however, there are other fireworks being sold in the area.  J. Gagnon inquired if there were many complaints received.  M. Warfle stated that there was an influx of complaints this year, many of which were fielded by Chief Hooker.

T. Pelkey recommended that Chief Warfle and Chief Hooker arrange a meeting to discuss this topic with the Greenos.

D. Trombley stated that he is in favor of a business that does not cause a nuisance.  However, the fireworks have affected residents, horses and other animals.

J. Haverstock inquired when the Pittsford operation would end for the season.  C. Greeno stated that the Pittsford store is closed now and would like to open again in December for New Year’s Eve festivities.

This topic was tabled.

Chief Warfle stated that it may be beneficial for the Select Board to host a Public Hearing to get the residents’ input on this situation.

The Town Manager will organize the Public Hearing.

The Greeno’s exited at 7:11 PM

 

Consider Library’s Request for Route 7 Coin Drop:
Bob Harnish was present to request permission for the library to hold a coin drop on Route 7 on October 14.  J. Haverstock stated that the form requires a signature from the Police Chief following Select Board approval.  T. Hooker reminded that the area must be properly marked and adequate notice given to drivers.

Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to approve the request.  Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.

In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel at 7:12PM. Town Manager Haverstock and Kelly Giard were invited to remain for Executive Session.

 

K. Giard exited at 7:25 PM.

The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:29 PM, with no action taken.

The meeting adjourned at 7:29 PM.

The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on October 18, 2017.

 

 

Respectfully Submitted,

 

Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary

 

 

_________________________________
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman

_________________________________
Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman

_________________________________
Jane Cornell, Selectman

_________________________________
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman

_________________________________
David Trombley, Selectman