The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Vice Chair, Jane Cornell, W. Joseph Gagnon, and David Trombley. Also present: Shawn Erickson, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
J. Haverstock indicated that there was a need for Executive Session for 1 personnel issue at the request of Shawn Erickson. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to enter into Executive Session for personnel. Motion passed unanimously 5– 0.
T. Pelkey indicated that there were no agenda amendments. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to adopt the agenda as presented. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the August 23, 2017 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount $47,995.85 and $14,504.64 (Payroll) were approved with the following discussion:
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense of $152.30 for an oil change for the police vehicle. J. Haverstock stated that the invoice included charges for an oil change, tire rotation and inspection.
D. Trombley inquired the payroll transfer. J. Haverstock stated that this was for Medicare withholding, but would speak with the bookkeeper and follow up to get a better explanation.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- The auditors began working on September 6 and will return on September 7. They will return on September 18 and stay until the process is completed.
- There will be a Staff Appreciation Picnic on Friday, October 6 at Noon at the Recreation Area. The members of the Select Board and Water and Sewer Commission are invited to join the staff members.
- The Union contract is included in the packets for review. Members are asked to review the contract and contact the Town Manager with any proposed changes.
- There was a visit at the Florence Fire Station with Butch Shaw, Select Board members and OMYA representatives. More details on the possible relocation of the station will be coming.
- Employees were given their photo ID’s at the Staff Meeting.
- The Nickwackett Hose Company’s Haunted House funding event will be held on October 20, 21, 27 and 28.
- The deadline for submissions to Linda Drummond for the Fall Newsletter is September 15.
- Safety signage for the water bars to be installed at the Hubbardton Road site have been ordered and are expected to ship on September 11; work will commence once the signs are available. Chairman Pelkey recommended that the Rutland Regional Planning Commission be contacted for use of its traffic counter and it has been deployed on the improved portion of Old Hubbardton Road.
- The cuts on West Creek Road have not been repaired as the paving plant will have “hot mix” available until at least September 11 due to work on Route 4.
- Jeff Biasuzzi has stated that the Planning Commission will be meeting on September 14 to finalize Town Plan updates with Public Hearings beginning on October 19 at the Lothrop Gym. The Planning Commission hopes that the Select Board would hold their first Public Hearing on November 1 and the second shortly afterward.
- OMYA has invited the Select Boards and Town Managers from Proctor and Pittsford for a tour of the VERPOL plant. The date and time is to be determined.
D. Trombley inquired if a thank you note would be sent to Celebration Rentals with regard to Pittsford Day. J. Haverstock explained that thank you notes had been sent to volunteers.
D. Trombley stated that the information the Town Manager gave to the Rutland Herald was incorrect. The information just stated that there was $8,000 in gravel and there was no mention of the labor that was included at the Hubbardton Road project. J. Haverstock stated that the reporter just asked about gravel.
None presented at this time.
None presented at this time.
Authorize Town Manager to Commence Tax Sale Process:
J. Haverstock stated that there have been 10 properties identified with 9 owners that fall under the criteria for pending tax sale. The general consensus of the Select Board was to proceed and start the process.
Consider Making Appointment(s) to BLSG Mosquito District Board:
J. Haverstock stated that he and Kitt Shaw have been attending the BLSG Mosquito District Board meetings on behalf of the Town. Mike Blaisdell has expressed interest in being a representative. Kim Keith has expressed interest in being the Alternate. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to appoint Mike Blaisdell as the second Representative (along with Kitt Shaw) and Kim Keith as the Alternate to the BLSG Mosquito District Board. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Consider Making Appointment of Town’s Health Officer:
Bruce Babcock has served in this capacity and has expressed agreement to serve another 3-year term. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Gagnon to appoint Bruce Babcock to a 3-year term as the Town Health Officer. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
Designate a Delegate to the VLCT Annual Business Meeting:
J. Haverstock has been the Delegate at the VLCT Annual Business Meeting in the past and is willing to serve in this capacity again this year. The meeting will be held on October 4 at 1:30 PM in Killington. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Gagnon to appoint J. Haverstock as the delegate to the VLCT Annual Business Meeting. Motion passed unanimously 5 – 0.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by D. Trombley to go into Executive Session for personnel where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel at 6:52PM. Town Manager Haverstock and Shawn Erickson were invited to remain for Executive Session.
Shawn Erickson exited Executive Session at 7:06 PM.
J. Haverstock exited Executive Session at 7:15 PM.
J. Haverstock was invited to return to Executive Session at 7:23 PM.
J. Haverstock exited Executive Session at 7:28 PM.
D. Trombley exited Executive Session at 7:34 PM.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:43 PM
The meeting adjourned at 7:43 PM.
The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on September 20, 2017.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman