The meeting was called to order at 6:50 PM by Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman.
Select Board members present: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, Jane Cornell, and David Trombley. ABSENT: W. Joseph Gagnon. Also present: Shawn Erickson, Mike Warfle, Dan Adams, Tom Browe, Bev Browe, Chuck Greeno, Charles Greeno, Jr., Donna Wilson, John Haverstock and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
J. Haverstock indicated that there is a need for Executive Session for Contractual for an update on the Caverly School parcel. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by D. Trombley to enter into Executive Session for Contractual. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
J. Haverstock stated that there was no need to amend the agenda.
Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to adopt the agenda as presented. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the July 5, 2017 meeting and the emergency meeting of July 10, 2017 were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount $9,752.48 (FY ’17); $56,332.87 (FY ’18) and $15,291.00 (Payroll) were approved, with no discussion.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- Property taxes are due in their entirety prior to November 10, 2017 or penalties and interest will begin accruing.
- There will be a meeting on Friday, July 21 at 9:00 Am with Shawn Erickson, J. Haverstock and a representative from the Rutland Regional Planning Commission with regard to the grant that may partially fund the West Creek Road culvert replacement project.
- Crack sealing work has been done on the roads that were identified, as well as the Municipal Office parking lot. There was discussion concerning some cracks in the area of the Fire Station and the Highway Garage that will be needing some attention prior to winter. Shawn Erickson will look into this.
- The culvert at Keough Hill has been installed and preparation for paving has occurred on Stevens Road.
- There will be a Staff Meeting on July 27 at 9:00 AM. The members of the Select Board are invited to join the staff.
- Jon Carrara reports that the solar-powered crosswalk sign has been installed in the area of the Catholic Church. No town funds were used in the installation. However, the Town will be maintaining the sign in the future.
- A grant is being sought for $100,000 of the estimated $200,000 cost for the installation and repair of the 1373’ section of Village sidewalk along Route 7 from Mechanic Street to the guardrail to the south. Local match funding options will be investigated in the event the request is approved.
- The Board of Civil Authority heard one appeal this year following the tax assessments and grievance process.
- Bob Harnish has resigned as a Water and Sewer Commissioner. This position will be advertised on the Town website and in the Newsletter. The deadline for interested party submissions is August 17.
- The Mosquito District has had two helicopter applications of larvicide, however, there have been several calls for additional spraying. The next meeting of the Mosquito District Board will be held on July 20. If there is a resident that is interested in serving on this board, please contact the Town Manager. This Board meets monthly and there is a small stipend for the Board members.
- VOSHA made a surprise visit to Pittsford Municipal Offices, the Highway Department and the Water Department. The inspection went “smoothly”, with some minor comments to be addressed.
None presented at this time.
Discuss Economic Development Options:
This topic was tabled until a future meeting.
Discuss Pittsford Day Preparations:
J. Haverstock stated that there were details included in the packet for review. There will be kids games, a silent action, a couple of local bands, Satin & Steel, VT National Guard helicopter, BBQ dinner, fireworks and a street dance.
Village Sidewalk Update:
J. Haverstock reported that, two meetings ago, Al and Colleen Maxham approached the Select Board with regard to the Highway Department removing a strip of their lawn along Route 7. Shawn Erickson stated that the Highway Department was cleaning up after snow and sand applications and discovered that there was asphalt under the lawn and removed 1 1/2’ of lawn to expose the sidewalk. There was discussion that if the lawn was restored, that there would be more of a safety issue and the cars will still pass on the right, which is a concern of the Maxhams. D. Trombley stated that the bridge construction would likely change the sidewalk configuration as well. J. Haverstock will be in communication with the Maxhams.
S. Erickson exited at 7:48 PM.
Discussion of Fireworks Sales and Displays:
T. Hooker stated that there have been a number of complaints from Pittsford residents that fireworks have been set off at all hours of the day and night. The Fire Chief has only issued 4 or 5 permits and they have all expired at this point. The only outstanding permit is for Pittsford Day. Dan Adams stated that there have been a couple of occasions that fireworks have been set off in his neighborhood and scared his prize winning animals. C. Greeno, Jr. stated that when someone purchases fireworks from his business, they are informed that they may not be set off after 10:00 PM and require a permit. C. Greeno, Sr. stated that he recently did a fireworks display for the Blanchard’s and he spoke with all neighbors, who appreciated the communication. C. Greeno, Jr. stated that he has a permit until October and would like to be a part of the discussion regarding the impact of fireworks.
C. Greeno stated that he will be donating to the Rutland Town Fire Department, as well as the Pittsford Fire Department. A check was presented to the Pittsford Fire Department in the amount of $1,000 from C & C Fireworks.
D. Adams, C. Greeno, Jr., C. Greeno, Sr., M. Warfle exited at 7:00 PM.
Consider Appointing Applicant to Join Recreation Committee:
J. Haverstock stated that Hillary Mullin has submitted a letter of interest to join the Recreation Committee. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by J. Cornell to appoint Ms. Mullin to the Recreation Committee. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
Consider Rescheduling the Second Select Board Meeting in August:
J. Haverstock proposed rescheduling the second meeting from August 16 to August 23 due to the fact that there are 5 Wednesdays in August and that he is on vacation during the week of August 14. The Select Board agreed unanimously to make this date change.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by D. Trombley to go into Executive Session for a contractual matter where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of contractual at 7:49 PM. The Town Manager Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 8:00 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM.
The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on August 2, 2017.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman