Select Board members present: Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Thomas Hooker, David Trombley and W. Joseph Gagnon.
ABSENT: Jane Cornell.
Also present: John Haverstock, and Kelly Giard – Recording Secretary.
J. Haverstock indicated that there was a need for Executive Session for one personnel issue – use of town equipment on personal property; one contractual issue concerning OMYA; and one legal issue concerning the Haunted House. Motion by T. Hooker and seconded by D. Trombley to enter into Executive Session for personnel, legal and contractual. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
J. Haverstock stated that there was a need to amend the agenda by postponing the Forrest Farm public hearing.
Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to adopt the agenda, as amended. Motion passed unanimously 4 – 0.
The Select Board minutes from the March 22, 2017 meeting were signed, with no corrections.
The orders in the amount $25,273.75 and $13,051.34 (Payroll) were approved with the following discussion:
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense for winter sand. J. Haverstock explained that the Highway Department has been stockpiling sand at the Transfer Station as a lot has been used this year.
J. Gagnon inquired about the expense to Rousseau Plumbing and Heating. J. Haverstock stated that this was for a variety of repairs that have occurred at different locations and which were billed at the same time.
TOWN MANAGER’S REPORT
J. Haverstock reported on the following:
- The staff participated in a 2-hour AED/CPR training on March 30. The training was arranged by Shawn Hendee and Randy Adams and Jason Davis.
- The Town Manager will be out of the office on April 11 to attend a seminar.
- The overweight truck ticket revenue is being received from the State now that Chief Warfle has been given the proper code. There are some tickets that will never be collected (e.g. deadbeat drivers).
- Tax maps will soon be posted on the website, as has been requested by residents and the Listers.
- VT Rail is conducting a safety review at Kendall Hill and Town Hill Road. The Town has been asked to appoint a representative to the VT Rail Safety Committee. This will occur at the next Select Board meeting.
- Dollar General has responded to questions from Act 250 commissioners by submitting a revised site plan including sidewalks on Plains Road and Route 7 and a crosswalk across Route 7. In an order dated April 3, the Commission asked whether the Post Office case law was applicable to the project? Does the Town maintain the sidewalks? Will the sidewalks be installed prior to the store opening?
- The deadline for submissions for the Spring 2017 newsletter is April 15.
None presented at this time.
None presented at this time.
Public Hearing Regarding Housing Trust of Rutland County’s Request for Town Assistance in Securing a State Planning Grnat to Assess Forrest Farm Parcel’s Development Potential:
This item has been cancelled, at the request of HTRC.
Review and Approve Annual Financial Plan – Town Highway Form from VTrans:
J. Haverstock explained that this is an annual form that is submitted to VTrans proving that the Town spends a minimum of $300 per mile on road maintenance and which makes the Town eligible for grant funds. Motion by T. Pelkey and seconded by T. Hooker to approve and sign the form. Motion passed unanimously 4 -0.
The Select Board recessed at 6:43 PM to convene as the Liquor Board.
The Select Board reconvened at 6:45 PM.
T. Pelkey made a motion and seconded by T. Hooker to go into Executive Session for personnel to discuss use of town equipment on personal property; legal to discuss the Haunted House; and contractual to discuss the OMYA fire substation lease where premature knowledge would be damaging to the Town, and may be jeopardized by public disclosure.
In accordance with 1 VSA 312 (b), where premature general public knowledge would clearly place the Municipality or person involved at a substantial disadvantage, the Board unanimously agreed to enter into Executive Session for the purpose of personnel, legal and contractual at 6:45 PM. The Town Manager Haverstock was invited to remain for Executive Session.
The Select Board exited Executive Session at 7:02 PM, with no action taken.
The meeting adjourned at 7:02 PM.
The next regular meeting of the Select Board will be held on April 19, 2017.
Kelly Giard, Recording Secretary
Thomas “Hank” Pelkey, Chairman
Thomas Hooker, Vice Chairman
Jane Cornell, Selectman
W. Joseph Gagnon, Selectman
David Trombley, Selectman